Thailand Sees Chinese Leading Tourists to Phuket After Reopening

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

No one nation has done more to destroy tourism here and worldwide—than China.  Seems ironic that TAT has more concern for revenue than anything else.

Back in 2013 TAT changed their policy to look to the East rather than the West for tourists. Very unlikely the pandemic is going to change that policy so learn to live with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ctxa said:

On this I also fully agree with you. First of all, nobody is crazy to enough to spend 14 (or 28) days in quarantine just because of ‘tourism’. 

Even if Thailand was to lift-off quarantine completely, I don’t see China removing quarantine for international arrivals any time soon. They are not in any hurry, they don’t live from tourism, in fact they can live without it just fine , so it’s only obvious that they will be very careful when removing quarantine. 

There won’t be 2M Chinese tourist coming, and I highly doubt there will be 2M tourists coming in total! 

Thailand statistics on foreign tourists are always too hopeful, or so I think ????

You nailed it in my view.

• Like 2

Phuket - you are welcome to as many Chinese tourists as you want!

That lessens the possibility of them swamping our resort! "From what I hear", before Covid the droves of Chinese were not welcome here, and in spite of Covid decimating the industry, they are still not. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bojo said:

Pretty sure that's accepted worldwide..............My point is that, it sounded to me as if you were implying Chinese tourists were responsible for the demise in worldwise tourism...............................Obviously that's not your opinion from your reply..........On a side note, I'm not sure how I'd feel if the whole world was pointing a damning finger at me if I was a citizen of  a country where a pandemic originated.....................

Correct, in reality the CCP bears responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I see a lot of nothing.. We hope and we believe but there are no certain numbers they talk about.  It is al hoping and guessing far beyond the reality.. I see updates every day about this issue

How can anyone do anything but guess at the numbers...are they supposed to poll 1.5B Chinese and adk if they intend to vacation in Phuket in the second half of 2021? A more foundational question is if Chinese are allowed to take international trips again?

12 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Expects and may are two words that are significant. As someone who is in China at the moment the word is that no travel until 2022 without doing up to 28 days quarantine, coming back. This again is just another pipe dream like all the others from those who really make such sensationalist claims, without engaging reality.

Once again this claim is delusional like nearly all the others.

Wasn't there demand for 1M "special tourist visas"...oh wait.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

welcome the Chinese with open arms? after all the chaos they created with their virus? and what if they bring another one?

here in Europe, I don't think we will see them back as tourists so they could infect us again with their dirty eating habits

Think you're painting with a very broad brush, it's a very small minority of Chinese that eat bats, dogs etc.

Most Chinese eat good healthy natural foods, unlike most Westerners

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Hi there. Have not had a chance to catch up with you in a long time. Hope you've been well.

So, are we agreed now that the Thai domestic tourism was never going to replace the foreign tourism?

You're actually right this time that Thailand is unlikely to change its policy in the near term, unless there is a cataclysmic event (like a military conflict) in the region that shapes the next couple decades. China, for better or worse (mostly the latter) is too large to ignore and is right in Thailand's backyard.

Good days are probably nearly done and very few westerners will visit Thailand once it's reputation is aligned with China and their tourists. 

Hard to say, with covid, what will happen with western tourism to Thailand in the future but, in the past, they were not staying away in any large numbers due to Chinese tourists or Thailand's outreach to China.  Pre-covid, western tourism was up slightly 2015 to 2019 for most countries except Australia, where it was down slightly.  It may have seemed like less due to the very large and much faster growing market of Asian tourists, not all from China.  In 2019, China tourists were 10.9 million.  Tourists from other Asian countries, around 15 million.   You're certainly correct that Thailand will likely continue to focus on the Asian market--as more than just China is right in its backyard.  

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

You'd think they'd see the error in having 90% income from foreign tourists and try to change the tourism economy a little.

I think you are being a bit optermisic there. Change their ways. Never. The greed is too ingrained 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

True, but I think you will agree that global and especially Western sentiment toward China and Chinese has change dramatically since the pandemic and China's recently aggressive behavior.

Attitudes toward China are probably negatively set for at least a generation. 

The reality is that China can easily support Thailand's tourist market - as long as China continues to get wealthier. But, I really do doubt many non-Chinese will be very interested in visiting Thailand if it's overrun with Chinese tourists.

That is normal, it's human nature. Had it been Switzerland that corona came from, people would suddenly start bashing Switzerland. Has always happened and will always happen. 

Key point is regarding Thailand, Chinese tourists have been the number 1 group by far in Thailand for a while. And I don't see how that affects, most of the time there is not even mixing, the Chinese do their stuff, the Westerners also do their own stuff. Don't be greedy, there's enough girls in Thailand for everyone, and if not many have the ladyboys alternative ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Wow...that is a good point....even if they are vaccinated?

Difficult to find any information on the web about how Chinese Nationals are treated on return to China but I understand they must do two weeks self-isolation whether vaccinated or not. A vaccinated person can carry the virus although the evidence is that this is much less likely (and the viral load is less) than an unvaccinated person.  

Edited by pj123
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Difficult to find any information on the web about how Chinese Nationals are treated on return to China but I understand they must do two weeks self-isolation whether vaccinated or not. A vaccinated person can carry the virus although the evidence is that this is much less likely (and the viral load is less) than an unvaccinated person.  

That will 'kill' any prospect of tourism for sure!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ctxa said:

That is normal, it's human nature. Had it been Switzerland that corona came from, people would suddenly start bashing Switzerland. Has always happened and will always happen. 

Key point is regarding Thailand, Chinese tourists have been the number 1 group by far in Thailand for a while. And I don't see how that affects, most of the time there is not even mixing, the Chinese do their stuff, the Westerners also do their own stuff. Don't be greedy, there's enough girls in Thailand for everyone, and if not many have the ladyboys alternative ????

I wonder how the Thai people feel about the Chinese hordes that come?  Those who don’t work in the tourist industry don’t seem to like them too much.  For those in the industry, they might feel differently.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

I wonder how the Thai people feel about the Chinese hordes that come?  Those who don’t work in the tourist industry don’t seem to like them too much.  For those in the industry, they might feel differently.

Well I can talk confidently here, since my wife is Chinese and she is working here for a Chinese real estate company at the moment. 

I get the feeling that average Thai people sees Chinese with better eyes than they see us (me). I don’t know if you catch my point, it’s hard to explain. But I many times have that feeling. It’s like they see them as brothers or cousins while they see us as strangers, something like this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, connda said:

Thailand may be visited by the members of countries that have not locked their citizens inside their own borders like North Korean clones.  Talk about the rise and fall of Western Civilization.  So yeah, the primary tourists imho will be from China with a smattering from other countries that haven't gone full-authoritarian-Orwellian on their own citizens.

Smattering , a horde from Burma , Surely 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ctxa said:

On this I also fully agree with you. First of all, nobody is crazy to enough to spend 14 (or 28) days in quarantine just because of ‘tourism’. 

Even if Thailand was to lift-off quarantine completely, I don’t see China removing quarantine for international arrivals any time soon. They are not in any hurry, they don’t live from tourism, in fact they can live without it just fine , so it’s only obvious that they will be very careful when removing quarantine. 

There won’t be 2M Chinese tourist coming, and I highly doubt there will be 2M tourists coming in total! 

Thailand statistics on foreign tourists are always too hopeful, or so I think ????

Since Wuhan is still incinerating evidence , bodies etc 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

Lots of shouting, spitting and following little flags, plus the occasional graffiti and street defecation. What is not to like?

It was actually an under water grafitty, carved into a coral head, if I remember correctly. For a Chinese, ignorance is pure bliss when it comes to protection of nature, empathy, sustainability and quality...

• Like 1