Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

y

Hi Guys,

In recently approved batch of males getting thai citizenship, my uncle also got approved and already got his ID card now. He has 4 minor children (foreign citizenship) . Today we contacted the SB branch and inquired about the kids getting citizenship based on Thai father, we got the reply that there is no ways for the foreign minor kids to get naturalized based on thai father. They have to qualify on their own after reaching majority age, i.e. normal criteria for people having relationship with thai person i.e. 40,000/month salary etc. and all other requirements. I find it hard to believe. Anybody (Arkady etc,) got any info about whether this information is correct or we got the wrong reply from some SB official who hasn't got a clue?

Unfortunately, the Nationality Act only provides a route for parents to apply at the same time as their parents and they get exemption from the requirements to have an occupation in Thailand and to have knowledge of the Thai language. Once the parents have already gone through the process, their children have no further fast track available. The Act only recognises children with Thai parents as Thai, if they were already Thai or both were permanent residents at the time of their birth. So, sad to say, SB is correct. The kids have missed the window to coat tail on their father's application and can now only qualify in their own right. They will get some small advantage, in needing a lower salary to qualify (40k I think) on the basis of having graduated from a Thai school or college (if they do) and possibly as a result of having a Thai parent, if they don't do high school or college in Thailand, It is a pity nobody suggested to your uncle that he should include his children with his own application, or they would be also be Thai by now.

Thanks a lot Arkady. Indeed a sad situation as one of the kid is already turning 20 later this year, guess she can't apply for extension of being child of a thai citizen anymore also? What would be the visa options for such child other than education visa?

Much easier to open new accounts, as banks are not used to account holders changing nationality. As it is so rare, they don't have a procedure. New account opening with nothing but ID card in 10 minutes flat, just for any other Thai. So I wouldn't exactly call it discrimination.

I'd also not think of this as discrimination. There is likely no procedure to convert nationality of a bank account, or if there is one it is not understood by the bank branch staff.

Maybe more a dead weight bureaucracy at SCB where management doesn't provide a way for staff to solve any problem easily using common sense. KBANK is moving to the paperless bank concept and didn't ask for any documents at all to change the nationality of my account. The girl just popped my ID card into an electronic card reader keyed some items into the computer and 3 minutes later showed me that my account had been changed over to my ID card number. Way to go.

SCB promised to call me back after the New Year once they had figured out a solution that didn't involve closing the account and opening a new one, involving changing the direct debit instruction of my SCB credit card. So far stoney silence. Pathetic.

It depends on the branch. I had an account at the SCB head office switched to my Thai ID in minutes - all I did was show them my Thai ID card and my pass book. Smaller branches are generally clueless, whichever bank you use, so easier to open a new account using your Thai ID.

Does anyone know if you MUST have an unbroken chain of Work Permits for 3 years straight, or is it ok if you just have record of paying taxes for 3 years (married with Thai kids). I ask because I will be leaving my current company (work permit, extension of stay based on work permit) to work as a consultant, and don't think I will have time to get the paperwork set up to open my own company in Thailand before I make the transition. My plan was to revert back to visa based on marriage until I have my company set up before end of the year. Anyone have any experience with this situation?

For the group that took the oath in October 2015, latest news is that Royal Gazette will announce the names on January 29, 2016. Looking forward eagerly!

For the group that took the oath in October 2015, latest news is that Royal Gazette will announce the names on January 29, 2016 (tentative).

Edited by brastgreek
  • Like 2

Can you apply for citizenship anytime of year based on children and spouse? For example as soon as i file my 3rd year of tax returns can i submit my applications or are they only accepted in the end of they year

They accept applications all year. You can apply at anytime once you have all the required documents.

For the group that took the oath in October 2015, latest news is that Royal Gazette will announce the names on January 29, 2016. Looking forward eagerly!

For the group that took the oath in October 2015, latest news is that Royal Gazette will announce the names on January 29, 2016 (tentative).

Great news (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

The list has been published. 142 people on the list.

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2559/E/024/6.PDF

clap2.gif

Oh, excited as I was, I'm on the list.

For future reference, from the day of application at SB until publication in the RG has taken in my case 6 years, 5 months and 22 days.

Finally, 3 years, 7 months and 21 days. Couldn't find my name at first through the excitement but I am there. Wonder how long to get my ID card?

• Like 1

clap2.gif

Oh, excited as I was, I'm on the list.

For future reference, from the day of application at SB until publication in the RG has taken in my case 6 years, 5 months and 22 days.

Finally, 3 years, 7 months and 21 days. Couldn't find my name at first through the excitement but I am there. Wonder how long to get my ID card?

Congrats. Seems to be pretty fast for you. On which basis did you apply? Married with Thai?

Usually from RG to ID card takes around 3-4 weeks. You will need to call SB from time and again and ask whether your naturlization certificate is ready for pickup? Or if you are not in a hurry, you can wait until they mail you the letter of notification of your success and request you to pick the naturalization certificate up. Once it's in your hand, take it to your khet office and they usually issue the ID card right on spot.

• Like 1

clap2.gif

Cannot read Thai, just wondering,from the names, how many seem to be Farang names as opposed to those from neighboring countries.

Most on the first page sound Chinese, except one - Mohammed Farouk. None sound vaguely Western. Can't be bothered to read past the first page though.

clap2.gif

Cannot read Thai, just wondering,from the names, how many seem to be Farang names as opposed to those from neighboring countries.
With all due respect, nontabury, why do you want to know?

With all due respect., what's it got to do with you? It's a simple question and it's a public list - why shouldn't he ask?

• Like 2

clap2.gif

Just curious how many of them are farangs,that's all.

Is there any reason I and others should't know?

Edited by nontabury

clap2.gif

Those on the list are people, citizens of various different countries, none of whom has a passport in which they are described as a "farang" !

So the answer is there are no "farangs" on the list but there may be (and probably is) people from different Western countries listed.

edited to correct typo

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 1

clap2.gif

Those on the list are people, citizens of various different countries, none of whom has a passport in which they are described as a "farang" !

So the answer is there are no "farangs" on the list but there may be (and probably is) people from different Western countries listed.

edited to correct typo

Please read my first post. I never asked if they were described as Farang on their passport.I simple asked from their names how many,did sound as if they where or are Farangs. Simple question,surely someone can provide the answer.

Perhaps I am not the only one on this thread who cannot read Thai.

clap2.gif

edited to correct typo

Please read my first post. I never asked if they were described as Farang on their passport.I simple asked from their names how many,did sound as if they where or are Farangs. Simple question,surely someone can provide the answer.

Perhaps I am not the only one on this thread who cannot read Thai.

What is a "farang" and how are they recognised in a printed list of names ?

Most on the first page sound Chinese, except one - Mohammed Farouk. None sound vaguely Western...

This is not surprising. Rarely does a Greek, Kroation, Italian, Maltese, French, English, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish or Finnish name, when transcribed into Thai, sound even vaguely Western. My name doesn't. Take the sound of the name of number 25 on the list as an example:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B34mNX-szfYVSnFkWWpaNGt0amM/view?usp=sharing

From the sound of it, where do you think this man is from?

Number 25 is a French name. I counted 13 names that I would say are fairly clearly Western.

Good guess.

It could be Stefan Lambert, a German name, ie a man originating from Germany, Luxemburg, Liechtenstein, Austria, South Tyrol (Italy) or Switzerland, or, more likely, from the Thai pronunciation without a glottal-stop T at the end, Stéphane Lambert, a French name, ie a man originating from France, Belgium, Switzerland or Quebec (Canada)

13 farang (Caucasians) out of a total of 142 approved naturalisations, that's a good share, I think, which goes to show that it is not only Asians who apply for Thai nationality.

Thank you for having gone through the whole list to hunt down the farang-sounding names. The member nontabury should be pleased.

• Like 1