Thailand reports 965 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Forced medication for heretics? Very authoritarian.

I don't see why anyone should be forced (directly). There are not enough vaccines anyway right now. Later people will be forced indirectly because of travel. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The COVID case projections listed in the chart below are DAILY estimates based on various planning scenarios:

646871953_Projections1.jpg.b60b4f4f46afd637ba07e34823bc4076.jpg

"According to Dr. Sopon Iamsirithaworn, the deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), the epidemiology division in collaboration with the International Health Policy Program had come up with a mathematical model to predict the number of people who could become infected per day if safety measures were not observed.

In a worst-case scenario with no disease control measures in place, 28,678 people could be infected per day, he said.

However, the average number of daily cases under this scenario would be 9,140, Dr Sopon added, while noting the lowest number could be 1,308 if people do not comply with safety measures."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

If its about a different opinion about vaccination the only real medicine that helps is education. I'm talking about science not the alternative theories the antivaxers use.

With the low numbers in Thailand you can ask yourself if its worthwhile to vaccinate if your scared of side effects. But that is not really an antivax opinion. That is risk calculation.  

You're getting confused. We weren't talking about vaccination.

"The Bureau of the Royal Household has announced that the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald will be closed from today onwards due to the surge in #COVID19 cases. Other royal palaces are also closed until further notice including Bang Pa In Summer Palace #Thailand"

https://www.facebook.com/richardbarrowthailand/posts/3119694569559

7 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

And what medicine do you suggest I need for holding a different opinion?

Just by maintaining an open mind and understanding both view points while agreeing to disagree is called Sanity.  If one can not be objective then ones mind is closed off and there are many ways to skin that cat. Not saying that's you, its just reality as we are not in control of what is happening around us, never will be, but can only be vociferous regarding the inadequacies as we see them occur, of course that's just an opinion.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"According to Dr. Sopon Iamsirithaworn, the deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), the epidemiology division in collaboration with the International Health Policy Program had come up with a mathematical model to predict the number of people who could become infected per day if safety measures were not observed.

In a worst-case scenario with no disease control measures in place, 28,678 people could be infected per day, he said.

However, the average number of daily cases under this scenario would be 9,140, Dr Sopon added, while noting the lowest number could be 1,308 if people do not comply with safety measures."

@TallGuyJohninBKK is on an infographic posting spree.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I don't see it as a problem that one of the members is posting useful info that we do not have to search out.  I find it very nice and refreshing actually that he is going out of the way to post what he finds while doing research in order to help us reach logical conclusions.

It's a problem for those who prefer bloviation.

• Thanks 2

NBT English language newscast from last night with COVID headlines and news:

NBT WORLD
NEWSLINE 12 April 2021
1. Thailand has faith in Sinovac’s vaccine
2. CCSA confirms another batch of 985 COVID-19 patients [Monday]
3. People undergo COVID-19 tests at IUDC office in Bangkok
4. DDC: Public to receive COVID-19 vaccine shots in June
5. Army helps set up field hospitals, and provides beds and
equipment
6. Field hospitals receiving COVID-19 patients
8. COVID-19 measures at tourist attractions

Screenshot_25.jpg.f18e3948c6eb202789055f26181aff46.jpg

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I was under the impression the different of opinion was about vaccination. Sorry.

I thought so as well.  With 965 new covid cases, have they stepped up the program or because of the holiday week has it been put on the back burner.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

I thought so as well.  With 965 new covid cases, have they stepped up the program or because of the holiday week has it been put on the back burner.

There were a lot of locations in BKK that did not test anymore (no tests no beds and healthcare personnel on leave). The whole country is in holiday mode only a few work. I expect lower numbers this week. People are out partying not worrying about tests. Plus the shortage of tests its not as if enough people work to get new tests (postal system is slower less healthcare personnel too). Id say its on the back burner. But that is what i see in BKK. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

New cases have plateaued so you guys who have been predicting viral apocalypse for the past few days won't have to lock yourself in your basement for the next year after all.

since you seem to have good handle on things maybe you can fill in a vital gap in the data so we can actually understand what it means

How many people were tested ? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

There were a lot of locations in BKK that did not test anymore (no tests no beds and healthcare personnel on leave). The whole country is in holiday mode only a few work. I expect lower numbers this week. People are out partying not worrying about tests. Plus the shortage of tests its not as if enough people work to get new tests (postal system is slower less healthcare personnel too). Id say its on the back burner. But that is what i see in BKK. 

I do agree with your viewpoint on this as well.  Sad that such an issue could be put on hold and not have the proper response with making folks work in order to step up the ball game and stop wasting time.  However, Thailand for most Thais is never about being on a schedule a or doing more it's all about a view of everything being easy.  If it's to hard they stop and walk away, but then again that's my view.  You can not get ahead of this virus and stop the spread unless you step up the game, which they have no true intention of doing, and well again that's just my view.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The COVID case projections listed in the chart below are DAILY estimates based on various planning scenarios:

How they'd ever get to that worse case 28k? They never test that number in a day????

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

Different situation (last time the numbers were never this high) but i rather be wrong. Lets wait and see till after the holiday then we know who is right. This time things are different then before. The UK variant is here and that one is more contagious. (just for those who feel offended not blaming the UK just using the commonly used name).

I don't expect an apocalypses just higher numbers. 

Yes of course let's wait and see how it pans out over the next couple of weeks. Certainly no need to panic but caution yes. For that matter by the way, why would we expect Thailand to be so different to Cambodia or Vietnam? Myanmar I understand.....

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but I am really think there is something strange going on with these figures again

967, 985, 965. If the next two days are 960 to 980 then someone's a fiddling

Strange is when it differs from the norm,what you describe is not strange but the norm, well, for Thailand the land of strange norms.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, BookShe said:

I was posting this to a wrong thread yesterday, sorry for the re-post.

Is this really happening???

After one year into the pandemic, what did Thailand do to mitigate the damage other than…..

1, coming up with bogus and idiotic ideas every week, such as : travel bubble, Phuket model, STV visa, golf quarantine, ASQs, area quarantine, Hub of everything, target therapy, and sandbox.

After all this brain farting for a year, at least 16 (Sixteen)!!!!! people arrived in Phuket the other week, so I guess it’s a success.

2, After one year into the pandemic, and after numerous lockdowns, alcohol bans, curfews, and controversial policies, which pretty much killed an entire industry (tourism), we are back to square one. 

3, After one year into the pandemic and a year-long chance of learning from other countries, what is working and what isn’t, they still couldn’t come up

with a protocol for testing people. Charging 3-5000 Thb for a test, admitting the positive cases to a hospital bed, and then refusing to take more tests because of shortages of beds?

I know that is free tests are also available, but there are many articles about people are avoiding being tested, because they are afraid of forced hospitalization and probably huge hospital bills.

Is getting prepared in LOS illegal? One year was not enough to get prepared? It’s comforting to know that Thailand has 3-400,000 test kits available. Really? That’s all they have?

Some smaller countries are testing more than that per day. 

4, After one year into the pandemic and the clear message that only vaccination (and not travel bubbles and area quarantines) can bring back normalcy, where is the evidence that Thailand was working hard to sign agreements with all available vaccine producers? (most countries signed these agreements 6 months ago with various companies without knowing who can deliver at the end)

Thailand was opted out of a COVAX program that delivers vaccines to poorer countries. The result? Every neighboring SE Asian country and even Africa is well ahead of Thailand, in terms of vaccination.

5, After one year into pandemic Thailand, just allowed the private sector to obtain other available vaccines. The request was made some 5 months ago.

I would be surprised if they could pull this off, as most vaccine producers have limited supplies, and I’m sure it’s been reserved and paid, for the next 6-12 months.

So unless these private companies are willing to pay 5 or 10 times more for a single dose I don’t see this option viable.

Rumors about Astra-Zeneca being produced locally is great news, however being an expat and knowing the way things go in LOS, I have my doubts.

6, After one year into the pandemic, is it a coincidence or just bad luck, that the only “Widely” available vaccine is Sinovac? The vaccine which is the least effective of any available jabs.

https://apnews.com/article/beijing-immunizations-chengdu-coronavirus-pandemic-china-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

Is it a coincidence that CP group (the biggest conglomerate in Thailand) is a large stakeholder in this company? https://www.kaohoon.com/content/413496

7,  Ohh dear Songran. After one year into the pandemic didn’t they learn that human contacts are the culprits of spreading the virus? I’m very satisfied that they quickly found

the new scapegoats “entertainment venues” (awesome work Sherlocks), but the math just doesn’t add up. I’m not an expert, but using only common sense…. 

entertainment venues = few hundred contacts vs. Songran traveling = Millions!!!! I might be wrong though, and I just hope that one year of sacrifice and relative safety was not for nothing.

If it’s really the UK strain that causing this new uptick in cases, we might be looking into a very dark 2021. This strain is devastating Europe even though they are well ahead of their vaccination program.

As of today, Thailand has the wrong protocol of handling test positives, no effective vaccine, and yet encouraging millions of people to travel across the country. 

Why are the borders still closed? What’s the point of that and at the same time letting Millions travel? Why the lie about individual province restrictions? There are NONE. 

People are reporting worry-free travel to any of those provinces that announced restrictions. 

8. Only one question left. Are they doing all this on purpose, or they are really that stupid?

Very succinctly written.Sums it up in a nutshell.Difficult to tell if it's intentional or stupidity,maybe it's intentional stupidity.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

37 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

What about the poor who live in the sticks and can’t afford to get to a doctor or hospital I bet there are many lying on a coconut mattress on there own and suffering if Covid doesn’t get them hunger will I’m sorry I refuse to believe such low figures when we see how the rest of the world are suffering  ☹️☹️☹️

They already died during the first and second wave 

• Thanks 1