Vaccinations for Expats at Embassies

asiacurious

How would they even get enough of the vaccine into the country? Diplomatic freezer bags?

All the logistics including two shots and medical observation, and potential liability all point to this being a non-starter.

On the plus side, all of the Cobra Gold participants have been fully vaccinated prior to being let loose in Pattaya.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:05 PM, asiacurious said:

Would you accept vaccination frim your embassy if offered? Or will you stick it out with Thais? 

Provided the Thai authorities treat expatriates like Thais, I would prefer to get the vaccination from a hospital or a physician in Thailand, even if I have to pay for it, which I would happily do. On the other hand,  if no vaccine is offered to expatriates, according to the classified groups, even in private hospitals, then I would be happy to get a vaccination from my Embassy. However, I really doubt that it will happen.

14 hours ago, jayboy said:

Do you have evidence for this?

Evidence of what?  If you mean evidence of Embassy/British Council staff receiving their first AZ vaccination, than yes I know people who work there.  If you mean evidence of their non-response to my enquiry, then no.  They just haven't replied.

19 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Evidence of what?  If you mean evidence of Embassy/British Council staff receiving their first AZ vaccination, than yes I know people who work there.  If you mean evidence of their non-response to my enquiry, then no.  They just haven't replied.

Just hearsay then.The British consulate is an active participant on this forum so I'm sure they will let us know one way or another.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:08 AM, Kinnock said:

I wouldn't expect the UK embassy to do anything of value.  In the heat of the Red Shirt demonstrates they all packed up and shut the embassy down.

We are on our own - always have been.

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

If advanced economies like the US or the UK have diplomats in countries which have an inadequate health structure and/or where there is the unlikelihood of obtaining Covid vaccines within an acceptable time period, then it seems completely reasonable - indeed mandatory - to ensure their people receive protection with vaccines sent via diplomatic mail and other privileged means.

However Thailand does not fall into this category.There are large US and UK expatriate populations here and resident diplomats, if their managers have any sense of honor and integrity, should experience the same process as their fellow citizens.

That might mean waiting a few months and in the meantime taking all due measures to protect themselves.

If however it's decided there's one approach for diplomats and another for resident expatriates, it's not actually wrong but it would be hard to respect the people involved in that decision.

To be clear I have no knowledge whether diplomats have been quietly supplied with vaccines  or not.I suspect not because if that had been the case, I'm sure the consular staff who post on this forum would have mentioned it.

I

i see the pandemic as a clear and present danger not unlike a military coup in which case the usual protocol is to evacuate its countries nationals.  none the less vaccines should be flown in and provided to all its citizens.  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

yes its a bad deal we are citizens many are tax payers the govt has a moral responsibility to innoculate its own people  .here we have a govt thats made this epidemic worse and shows a racist and intolerant policy to foreigners here,thais in eu uk are innoculated its about time embassies spoke out on this instead of the usual screw the hoi polloi stuff,if they consider the risk high enough for their own staff ......well its quite obvious what they think of thai govt policy

thrown under the bus as usual

Here's an idea in response to the question posed: Since Cobra Gold will take place in August, perhaps American ex-pats living in Pattaya and Bkk could visit the ships, lining up on the pier and getting processed by US military medical staff. Could be a very simple fast, and straightforward affair. Show your US Passport, get a n injection. I prefer the J&J vaccine as it requires easier handling for this hot climate!! I hope this can be read by someone with contacts at State!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm pretty sure embassies do not meet the requirements laid down by the Thai government  for being a vaccination centre.

These include being a licensed medical facility with the personnel, equipment and facilities to deal with any allergic reactions that can occur, such as anaphylactic shock.

Embassies are not subject to Local Law, but to their Home Country's.

On 4/25/2021 at 5:10 AM, asiacurious said:

was talking with a friend living in Japan about the possibility of expats getting vaccinations at their embassies.

The roles of embassies are to project power and influence in the countries in which they resided.  Expats are but an afterthought and are basically made to pay for any services rendered.

I don't expect my country to provide vaccines for their overseas expats as they'd consider it to be none of their business. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ehs818 said:

Here's an idea in response to the question posed: Since Cobra Gold will take place in August, perhaps American ex-pats living in Pattaya and Bkk could visit the ships, lining up on the pier and getting processed by US military medical staff. Could be a very simple fast, and straightforward affair. Show your US Passport, get a n injection. I prefer the J&J vaccine as it requires easier handling for this hot climate!! I hope this can be read by someone with contacts at State!

Have you been sampling Anutin's home-grown stash?

23 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm pretty sure embassies do not meet the requirements laid down by the Thai government  for being a vaccination centre.

These include being a licensed medical facility with the personnel, equipment and facilities to deal with any allergic reactions that can occur, such as anaphylactic shock.

Would not matter what the Thais thought. Give vaccine at Consulate or Embassy. Both are not Thai soil. So again... the Thais came complain all day but would not be able to a thing about it. Make vaccinations by appointment  and one must pay for.it... like all other services. We expats do matter with here and back home. Out State Department needs to remember what they are there for under the conventions that have been agreed to.

• Like 2

Not even in my wildest dream can I imagine the UK Embassy starting a vaccination program for UK expats, expats have always been soft revenue targets that were to be taken advantage of, not helped, cases in point, frozen pensions, NHS eligibility and 150% surcharge.

I have read the full string. I have personal  knowledge of the capability of the of the Embassy, know every building and every office, and can tell you two things. 1.) They have the capability to give the shots. 2.) They will Not take care of the expat community.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:10 AM, asiacurious said:

What do you think?  Would it be a good idea for countries to offer their citizens vaccinations at their embassies?  What would the diplomatic implications of doing this be?  Could it even happen?

It has for long time (since February) been said that vaccines will be offered for foreigners when the mass-vaccination program begins in June.

@DominicRaab so you give vaccines to UK Embassy staff overseas . For example in Thailand but not UK citizens.  You ought to be ashamed of yourself ! The consulate is a disgrace and offers nothing  to UK citizens ! We will fight back against this outside AIA tower soon.     Use Twitter and let the  foreign office and Raab your views 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1

After you make a conscious decison to live outside your home country on a full time basis for more than 4 years it  is becoming more of an issue on what rights your country of birth will provide including any Government pensions

Being outside your home country poses no threat of Covid to the country so there is no

incentive  for them to even be interested.

Your healthcare provider would be your best bet for the earliest vaccine inocculation available.

• Thanks 1

Below show the situation from the UK Government. They care more about foreigners in the UK, even if illegal, with little consideration for what us expats can do.
on https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-migrant-health-guide    

No charges for coronavirus (COVID-19) testing, treatment and vaccination
Overseas visitors to England, including anyone living in the UK without permission, will not be charged for:

testing for COVID-19 (even if the test shows they do not have COVID-19)
treatment for COVID-19, including for a related problem called multisystem inflammatory syndrome that affects some children
vaccination against COVID-19
No immigration checks are needed for overseas visitors if they are only tested, treated or vaccinated for COVID-19.

Yet for citizens abroad

"If you live abroad permanently, follow the advice of local authorities where you live. Check our travel advice pages for information on COVID-19 restrictions in individual countries."

"COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad
Wherever possible British nationals should aim to be vaccinated in their country of residence. We will share information on other countries’ national COVID-19 vaccine programmes on our travel advice pages as they are announced. You can sign up to get email notifications when a country’s travel advice page is updated.

If you live overseas find out about COVID-19 vaccines available locally, and contact your healthcare provider for further advice."

Fat chance that advice being any good with the incompetence we have here.

How are we going to find out anything of the sort?

Even going back to the UK was uncertain, because you can only get the vaccination by booking through you GP.
Most expats are no longer registered with a GP in England and it was not so easy to register

Fortunately, I understand that the situation for registering with a GP in England changed last year  because of Covid. 

See below. go to 

https://www.healthylondon.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Action-update-Registering-with-a-GP-18.6.2020.pdf

I have said before in some posts that going back to UK to get vaccinated may be the best option.  This helps to give more certainty that option will work.

uk regiistering with GP during Covid 19.JPG

Edited by jojothai
add info

On 4/25/2021 at 11:04 AM, Emdog said:

I've posted in other threads about abysmal US state dept decisions regarding expats: "depend on local resources"... also some notice that embassy staff around world has been give vaccines.

Fair to assume that "staff" would include the numerous Thai nationals that work at US embassy, consulate. Don't begrudge that, get jab where ever you can, but something seems intrinsically wrong with lack of concern shown by state dept with us rabble abroad. If they gave a damn about us, they would be working to get us vaccinated ASAP.

Seems the only "service" embassies care about would be our funeral services.

The USA would certainly not want to suggest that, for example, those US citizens who earned Medicare benefits should be treated equally with US citizens who earned military retirement Tricare benefits available worldwide. True a claim that all US citizens are due healthcare by the US is really over the edge for a country that does not provide a national healthcare program like every other democracy provides for its citizens.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:04 AM, Emdog said:

I've posted in other threads about abysmal US state dept decisions regarding expats: "depend on local resources"... also some notice that embassy staff around world has been give vaccines.

Fair to assume that "staff" would include the numerous Thai nationals that work at US embassy, consulate. Don't begrudge that, get jab where ever you can, but something seems intrinsically wrong with lack of concern shown by state dept with us rabble abroad. If they gave a damn about us, they would be working to get us vaccinated ASAP.

Seems the only "service" embassies care about would be our funeral services.

You choose to be here not Your goverment so put uo with it or make a vaxine run and the saq again or not     thats the situation and thats life 

"possibility of expats getting vaccinations at their embassies.  He seemed to think it would happen - eventually."

Gotta agree with him - emphasis on the word "Eventually". First countries will concentrate on vaccinating their resident population - still a long way to go on that. Then they will, eventually, look at their expat population. Pretty much at the end-of-the-line priority wise. 

Our best bet will be paying for a vaccination at a private hospital. Money talks - always has - always will. If there is a buck to be mode (and there are a lot of bucks to be made in vaccinating expats) we, speaking for expats in Thailand, will be able to procure valid vaccinations from a private hospital at a price. Probably a steep price - but, at a price.  

• Like 1

*Deleted post edited out*

Alas.... Getting out of dodge requires flying on planes where there will likely be infected individuals.  Not necessarily on the flight out of Thailand but on connecting flights.  And of course, there's the issue of getting back IN to dodge.

If an Embassy has vaccinated all staff working at the embassy (which I would hope would include Thais, not simply nationals of that that embassy) then they clearly have a way of transporting and administering vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

It has for long time (since February) been said that vaccines will be offered for foreigners when the mass-vaccination program begins in June.

No.

The most recent item I saw said we're at the BACK of the queue regardless of risk factors.