is tap water safe to drink after boiling it?

BananaBandit

14 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Crazy price , were you live! In Loei i pay 15 bth/bottle whit delivery. In Udon my friend has that bussines and he take 20 bth/bottle!

There are also different quality of bottled water.  We can get it cheaper, but like what we're getting.  Again, we're paying 10B more for them to bring it to the back of the house and put it on the cooler.  No biggie.

• Like 2

Boil water and viruses and bacteries are killed. Not heavy metals and chemical compounds (like pesticides) in it, they stay in. 

Chlorine in water also kills, but chlorine has side effects. But it was the best option for years for drinking water.

Nowadays they use UV light to kill the bacteries and viruses. For sure now here in my country. They stopped adding

chlorine.

A true RO device gets out everything heavy metals, carbon  compounds, viruses , bacteries, but also all the good minerals, you need for your body. A right company would compensate it afterwards by adding new minerals to its water again. Dont know about Thai regulations about that, but otherwise you have to do it yourself.

Guess i ll check it next time when i m in Thailand if it is on the bottles. 

A true RO system has a high pressure pump to press the water through the membranes and also have to do it reverse to clean the membranes, regenerating. Very tiny holes which catches all bigger then a water molecule.

It seems water molecules are more tiny then all others, even bacteries and viruses.  

In all plastics are chemical compounds, solving in the liquid or solids, it contains, You drink, eat it anyhow then.

Probably it is considered to be "save" .?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jastheace said:

I would say it depends where you live and the source of the water.

I know people in Pattaya that have used tap water for cooking but not beverages. I would not however. Up country where the source is a deep bore, i would in emergencies, ie run out of purified or bottled water. Machine RO and UV treated should be OK.... why do you distrust this source? however i would recommend drinking a bottle or two of mineralised water daily, especially if you sweat a lot.

If you mean a coin operated RO and UV treated machine, there's also the point about lack of maintenance and lack of cleaning of these machines.

At home we have a good quality filter over the kitchen sink and the filters (genuine and not old) are changed every 3 months. My son's buddy has tested the filtered water a couple of times and it's well above accepted levels for drinking and cooking. We always carry about 6 big plastic bottles in the car, and change it freshly filtered regularly. 

• Thanks 1

Unless there’s no other choice I’d use bottled water, either in the sealed 19 litre containers or in various bottle sizes from supermarkets etc. too many variables in the filter systems ( and quality of the feed water) in my view to do anything else. Just my view, and for the amount a family uses a week it shouldn’t cost a fortune. We pay Thb 40 per 19 litre container delivered.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dart12 said:

@Jeffr2, I guess it doesn't matter if you are saying RO water, itself, is not healthy to drink.

If that's the case, I won't even research or look into newer studies on the machines.

right now spending a good 3000 baht month on drinking water,  seems like something that I should be able to lessen the expense in some manner.

I'm using a company called Coway.  My cost is 1090 baht a month. This is a RO system with other filters that reduce chlorine and other harmful substances. This price was for the machine plus a 5-yr service plan. All filter replacements and cleaning is included in the price. Their Malaysian website explains more about the filters (but not much) than the the Thai website.

8 hours ago, Excel said:

That is true what you say but I always take the further safer precaution when I boil water to drink by asking my wife to drink it first ????????

Arsenic and lead are cumulative poisons. Best to wait several weeks by dating and archiving water containers. ????

15 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Arsenic and lead are cumulative poisons. Best to wait several weeks by dating and archiving water containers. ????

Been waiting years, she is still here so must be in miniscule quantities????????

I put in a RO system and it works great. Super convenient and great not having to deal with plastic bottles and jugs. However RO water is completely free of minerals and has been found to actually deplete your body of minerals as per a WHO report. There is a fix to that by adding a cartridge post filters. This cartridge will re-introduce the good minerals and in addition it will make your coffee taste all that better in the morning. Link to the WHO report below, 

https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientschap12.pdf

No.  Tap water is not safe to drink after boiling it.  There are hard minerals in the water, water pipes, water holding tank that remain after boiling water.

I bought a 1,500 baht 4 liter water distiller machine on Lazada.com.  A water distiller creates pure water free of inorganic minerals or bacteria.  The distiller heats water to steam which recondenses to 100%pure drinking water. 

The inorganic mineral sediment remains in the distiller not in your joints.  I suffered with excruciating arthritus pain after decades of drinking bottled water, plus poor diet, and being overweight.  Distilled water has been a life saver, no more pain.

Minerals can be inorganic or organic. Such as iron in a rusty nail or iron in an apple. Distilled water flushes out toxic inorganic minerals from the human body, but not healthy organic minerals.  

Mineral water has much more sediment than normal drinking water bottles based on sediment remaining at bottom of my distiller.  Mineral water contains inorganic minerals which do not benefit the human body.

Screenshot_20210427-184829_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210427-184726_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210427-184738_Gallery.jpg

I've been using tap water for cooking for years after I stopped using filtered rainwater because of increased industrial activity in the area. The only drawback is the occasional piece of cutlery flying off the table and sticking to me.????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I've been using tap water for cooking for years after I stopped using filtered rainwater because of increased industrial activity in the area. The only drawback is the occasional piece of cutlery flying off the table and sticking to me.????

Could it perhaps be your magnetic personality also ?

11 hours ago, Excel said:

That is true what you say but I always take the further safer precaution when I boil water to drink by asking my wife to drink it first ????????

Good point . 

I only drink bottled water ..

After my bother in law , has sampled it ..

One cannot be too careful in foreign lands..

We use Bangkok Water fed into two inside 1000 litre tanks in our own village house because mains pressure is poor. We have a high capacity automatic pump that delivers water to 4 bathrooms and kitchen and 2 washing machines all at once if necessary, a system I personally fitted when we modernised the house to UK standards. (Not sadly as regards insulation!). We have a water purifier, 4 different filters plus UV and do change the filters. The American fridge freezer makes ice from filtered water too. My wife fills coke bottles with filtered water only two times and then discards them in favour of other coke or similar bottles.

For cooking, hot drinks, etc we use water from tap/tanks/ mains and have done for years. One thing I read about bottled water is that in many cases it is a scam - they fill the bottles from the mains because mains water fits the advertising specs of the bottled water - go figure! So we don't waste money on it.

21 hours ago, jastheace said:

I would say it depends where you live and the source of the water.

I know people in Pattaya that have used tap water for cooking but not beverages. I would not however. Up country where the source is a deep bore, i would in emergencies, ie run out of purified or bottled water. Machine RO and UV treated should be OK.... why do you distrust this source? however i would recommend drinking a bottle or two of mineralised water daily, especially if you sweat a lot.

Why worry about deep bore well up North?  Just curious.

We have one and use it for laundry and showering.  I use it to cook pasta (boiling). 

The city water is for the gardening and topping of our pool.  

For consumption we stick to bottled water.  

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If you live in a large conurbation, the water comes from a central source and you can smell the chlorine in the water then the answer is yes,

con·ur·ba·tion
/ˌkänərˈbāSH(ə)n/

noun
  1. an extended urban area, typically consisting of several towns merging with the suburbs of one or more cities.
    "the major conurbations of London and Birmingham"

On 4/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, Jeffr2 said:

Yes, except for heavy metal contamination.  Which is a huge problem here in Thailand.  Especially from agricultural chemicals seeping into the ground water.

Even if they regularly clean the filters on the machines, can the chemicals be filtered out?

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Even if they regularly clean the filters on the machines, can the chemicals be filtered out?

I think if the machine is operating properly, then the RO machines on the street should filter out a lot of the chemicals.  But I just don't trust them.  Many are never cleaned properly.  But the same is true back in the US.  I read a report on these public machines.  It wasn't good.