Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

29 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Read the DM I send you. You want a vaccine right? 

Up to you na krap. 

I will answer you here because you really have tried to be helpful.

I don't see the odds in attempting going to Phuket. Others might. It's a personal decision. But not me.

Why?

-- Would need to enter the Phuket sandbox being exposed to a lot of infected people without the bubble of being at home

-- YOU got a walk in. You. One person. One time. Another person says not. Another person says you need to register as a person living in Phuket in some way (presumably not a tourist who is living outside of Phuket)

-- Even if you got it, then a second jab three months later.  Who knows if you could get in then, under what terms, and whether they might have changed any loopholes that allowed you to get the first dose as someone not living there?

Too many variables. Not even close to a sure thing. Again, for those that are game, please do try this. We all judge the pros and cons of situations differently.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I will answer you here because you really have tried to be helpful.

I don't see the odds in attempting going to Phuket. Others might. It's a personal decision. But not me.

Why?

-- Would need to enter the Phuket sandbox and stay there for quite a long time, being exposed to a lot of infected people without the bubble of being at home

-- YOU got a walk in. You. One person. One time. Another person says not. Another person says you need to register as a person living in Phuket in some way (presumably not a tourist)

-- Even if you got it, then a second jab three months later.  Who knows if you could get in then, under what terms, and whether they might have changed any loopholes that allowed you to get the first dose as someone not living there.

Too many variables. Again, for those that are game, please do try this. We all judge the pros and cons of situations differently.

I understand mate. Good luck over there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pontious said:

So until it changes why keep posting. If there is no news your posts are like a red flag to a bull to many posters. 

Stuff comes up. Like the Moderna registration thing that came and went very quickly. That's not about getting vaccinated very soon, but still on topic for Pattaya expats seeking doses in Pattaya.

We just got another interesting bite.

The proposal that people in Pattaya might try to risk going to Phuket.

That's not anything like a sure thing, but some local people might be interested to take that risk, and Phuket is definitely closer than London or Chicago. 

On 7/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, WaveHunter said:

LOL...this thread is already messed up beyond hope  Hahahah.  My point was just as I edited after you had already replied:

you were merely lucky and slipped through the cracks.  Official policy does not allow those from one province to be vaccinated by another province (as far as public rollout is concerned...Private hospitals rollouts are another story however).  The CCSA has made this point a number of times in the official daily briefings.  I certainly don't doubt your word; I'm only saying it was a screw-up.  Screw-up in Thailand are certainly not uncommon; occasionally they work to one's benefit. I wish they'd for for mine!

I strongly disagree with your statement - Intervac was setup from the get-go to focus on vaccinating certain groups of people (diplomats, over 60 and expats) rather than just Bangkok residents as you suggested several times in this forum. In my case I clarified this via phone with Intervac, prior to me signing up got an appointment three weeks ago based on my Chonburi address and clearly stated Chonburi when asked again in the Bangkok based Hospital where I chose to receive the jab last week. All went without a hitch as described by others in this forum. I would appreciate if you could stop suggesting that those who have followed official protocol and truthfully and legally pursued their vaccination such as myself are being labelled as "falling through the cracks" and breaking rules. If you digress please provide proof as to where and how you got the impression that Intervac is restricted to Bangkok residents only as I think its crucial that people in need continue try to get vaccinated asap via the Intervac route once the site takes on registrations again rather than being scared away by your claims of it being "against the rules". Thanks.

• Like 2

Reality check.

thailandintervac.com has not been. functional for new registrations for weeks.

So you can't use it to register for vaccinations even in Bangkok.

It's not knowable if it will ever be restored. 

It's not knowable when it will  restored if it is.

It's not knowable if it will always be limited to Bangkok hospitals if restored. 

It's not knowable what any future rules will be as to local residency requirements or not if it is restored. 

Past experiences when it was functional aren't necessarily what future rules will be.. 

CCSA has stopped commenting on the site entirely. 

So what's the future of that site?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's an individual decision, but for some, probably many, it might be best to take whatever is on offer, as soon as possible.

Or go to where your choice can be met......

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This topic is not a joke.

I know it's hard to deal with but forums like TVF always have trolls who contribute nothing useful to a thread.  Their only purpose in posting is to make themselves feel good about themselves at the expense of others.

How sad their lives must be that they have such little self worth that they have to resort to this behavior.  Probably best to just ignore their inflammatory remarks since that's the one thing they can't handle.

Edited by WaveHunter

8 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

I strongly disagree with your statement - Intervac was setup from the get-go to focus on vaccinating certain groups of people (diplomats, over 60 and expats) rather than just Bangkok residents as you suggested several times in this forum. In my case I clarified this via phone with Intervac, prior to me signing up got an appointment three weeks ago based on my Chonburi address and clearly stated Chonburi when asked again in the Bangkok based Hospital where I chose to receive the jab last week. All went without a hitch as described by others in this forum. I would appreciate if you could stop suggesting that those who have followed official protocol and truthfully and legally pursued their vaccination such as myself are being labelled as "falling through the cracks" and breaking rules. If you digress please provide proof as to where and how you got the impression that Intervac is restricted to Bangkok residents only as I think its crucial that people in need continue try to get vaccinated asap via the Intervac route once the site takes on registrations again rather than being scared away by your claims of it being "against the rules". Thanks.

ALl you need to do is pay attention to the OFFICIAL CCSA daily briefs to understand that residents of one province may not register for vaccination in another province.  It was stated very clearly a number of times by the Deputy Spokesman in no uncertain terms.

That is the rule.  Whether or not it is being followed by hospitals is another matter.  So often when it comes to government communications, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  The fact that nurses are confused about the rules and just opt for the most expedient action like granting you a vaccination simply becuase you have an appointment that you should really not have DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

The fact that some expats were able to get around this only proves that they were lucky, and the InterVac site was heavily flawed which is the only reason they were able to successfully register.  The fact that the InterVac site was plagued with so many problems that it had be shut down and has been down for weeks now is proof of that.

It's very obvious that InterVac only allowed vaccination appointments through Bangkok hospitals.  Look at the damn list right on their homepage.  Do you see hospitals listed in provinces other than Bangkok?  There was a reason for that!

If what YOU say is true there would be a hell of lot more expats from Chonburi making a beeline to Bangkok for vaccinations..  The vast majority of Chonburi residents who are as yet unvaccinated  proves my point, so save your unfounded criticisms. 

The fact that you were able to buck the system is nothing to be proud of.  There was a reason for vaccines to be prioritized to the Bangkok area, and those non-residents outside of Bangkok who were able to take advantage of the InterVac flaws and become vaccinated by crossing provincial boundaries only reduced available vaccines where they are needed most right now.

YOU WERE LUCKY and nothing else, and your luck came at the expense of getting the outbreak clusters in Bangkok under control.

So, congratulations to you for thinking more about your own welfare instead of the good of the population as a whole.  That's very noble of you.

This thread seems to have lost it's way from the original point!!

So simple question, is there anywhere to go now in Thailand that you can simply walk in and pay for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?

38 minutes ago, LennyW said:

This thread seems to have lost it's way from the original point!!

So simple question, is there anywhere to go now in Thailand that you can simply walk in and pay for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?

No.

France was using that brand for their outreach locations for French nationals over 55 only including Pattaya.

Don't recall if that's finished yet or not. French nationals over 55 can check.

Way to go France!

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

capture2.jpg.98be69f2dbd3c02754050164ac4c3459.jpg

Two responses. 

That's a completely unscientific poll. 

So the results are almost completely meaningless.

Secondly this is a PATTAYA topic!

We know as an objective fact that vaccine access in Pattaya for expats has been particularly bad compared to for examples Chiang Mai and especially Phuket.

21 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

I also secured a vaccine jab last week in BKK. I have been a contributor on this thread for some time & have been following up the various leads & doing all the usual stuff like registering at local PTY hospitals etc. I registered with Intervac the first day it opened, and at that time the drop down menu's worked. I believe the Intervac site is intended to be a national site & even though it currently only offers BKK hospitals, the system appears intended to allow registered users from other provinces to both register & receive their jabs in BKK. I registered on the first day & the address drop-downs included Chonburi under Province & Banglamung under District. After that for the next 3 days there were either too few slots, & none for Astra (which was my choice), or the site did not allow access. On Thursday 11th I decided I needed to be more organised & bought my workstation inside off the balcony, & from 11.30 solely focused on the Intervac site - one screen showed that & my second screen the relevant Thai Visa thread, where people were posting real time (myself included) of their experiences. Around 12.30 I booked for Astra at Phyathai 2 Hospital for 28 June & that was confirmed in my Intervac account & it provided me with pdf downloads & a QR code. 

The Intervac site pretty much closed soon after that & frankly I did not put my odds of actually getting a jab as high. That changed on Friday 25th when I received an SMS from the hospital stating my appointment was confirmed! On Sunday I sent a query to the hospital email & within 90 minutes got a fluent English email back confirming & detailing my appointment. So first thing Monday 28th I took the early coach to BKK, did some essential errands & went to the hospital 2 hours early. Everything was well signposted in English & in the vaccine area there are English/Chinese speaking staff organising the jabs. I got seen an hour early & it all went smoothly. At the registration counter the clerk asked "Your address is in Chonburi?" to which I replied "Yes", it was not an issue & there were other farangs openly from other provinces also there receiving their jabs. My second jab is booked for exactly 10 weeks time.

Aftermath. With all the talk of a possible BKK shutdown & with some provinces like Chanthaburi quarantining BKK visitors  I decided to head back to PTY on the next bus. Unfortunately during the next 3 days I experienced a pretty bad reaction to the Astra shot. My leg muscles & joints ached continuously & noticeably for around 72 hours. It was not agonising pain but discomforting, & for example I could not sleep as I had to change position every 2-3 minutes, the most comfortable position was standing or walking but you cant do that for 3 days! I guess I was just one of those unlucky >1% who get a bad reaction, but it did make me wonder if my reaction to the vaccine was this bad, maybe my reaction to Covid would also have been bad! The Intervac site appears closed at present but IF it re-opens & IF the registration menu's still allow for non-BKK registrants, then it may well again be a possibility for PTY based vaccine hunters. For my second jab I have decided to hire a car/driver for the return journey, allowing for up to a 2 hour wait at the hospital, this is clearly the least stressful way of doing it.

I'm happy to hear of your success.

You took a risk that registering in Bangkok when you live elsewhere was going to be accepted..

Your gamble paid off.. 

Great. 

But it needs to be said you're talking about history.

Not what's possible now.

Thailandintervac.com hasn't worked for new registrations in weeks.

If it is ever restored neither you or anyone else can assure that Chonburi residents registering for jabs in Bangkok will be accepted as you were.

Maybe or maybe not. 

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

ALl you need to do is pay attention to the OFFICIAL CCSA daily briefs to understand that residents of one province may not register for vaccination in another province.  It was stated very clearly a number of times by the Deputy Spokesman in no uncertain terms.

That is the rule.  Whether or not it is being followed by hospitals is another matter.  So often when it comes to government communications, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  The fact that nurses are confused about the rules and just opt for the most expedient action like granting you a vaccination simply becuase you have an appointment that you should really not have DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

The fact that some expats were able to get around this only proves that they were lucky, and the InterVac site was heavily flawed which is the only reason they were able to successfully register.  The fact that the InterVac site was plagued with so many problems that it had be shut down and has been down for weeks now is proof of that.

It's very obvious that InterVac only allowed vaccination appointments through Bangkok hospitals.  Look at the damn list right on their homepage.  Do you see hospitals listed in provinces other than Bangkok?  There was a reason for that!

If what YOU say is true there would be a hell of lot more expats from Chonburi making a beeline to Bangkok for vaccinations..  The vast majority of Chonburi residents who are as yet unvaccinated  proves my point, so save your unfounded criticisms. 

The fact that you were able to buck the system is nothing to be proud of.  There was a reason for vaccines to be prioritized to the Bangkok area, and those non-residents outside of Bangkok who were able to take advantage of the InterVac flaws and become vaccinated by crossing provincial boundaries only reduced available vaccines where they are needed most right now.

YOU WERE LUCKY and nothing else, and your luck came at the expense of getting the outbreak clusters in Bangkok under control.

So, congratulations to you for thinking more about your own welfare instead of the good of the population as a whole.  That's very noble of you.

Your assertions and interpretations do not apply to Intervac as it was specifically setup up to vaccinate foreigners and expats across Thailand as per their press statement - you mix up Intervac (which is aligned directly with the Ministry of Health) and the provincial public health networks that is organised at a provincial level which is relevant for the Mor Prom registrations and not Intervac - the CCSA itself stated specifally in their pressbriefing that its for "foreigners living in Thailand". Please contact them yourself or read newspapers and check the facts before spreading your own unfounded legal interpretations and moral lectures. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2128255/govt-vaccination-website-opens-for-foreigners

31 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

I also secured a vaccine jab last week in BKK. I have been a contributor on this thread for some time & have been following up the various leads & doing all the usual stuff like registering at local PTY hospitals etc. I registered with Intervac the first day it opened, and at that time the drop down menu's worked. I believe the Intervac site is intended to be a national site & even though it currently only offers BKK hospitals, the system appears intended to allow registered users from other provinces to both register & receive their jabs in BKK. I registered on the first day & the address drop-downs included Chonburi under Province & Banglamung under District. After that for the next 3 days there were either too few slots, & none for Astra (which was my choice), or the site did not allow access. On Thursday 11th I decided I needed to be more organised & bought my workstation inside off the balcony, & from 11.30 solely focused on the Intervac site - one screen showed that & my second screen the relevant Thai Visa thread, where people were posting real time (myself included) of their experiences. Around 12.30 I booked for Astra at Phyathai 2 Hospital for 28 June & that was confirmed in my Intervac account & it provided me with pdf downloads & a QR code. 

The Intervac site pretty much closed soon after that & frankly I did not put my odds of actually getting a jab as high. That changed on Friday 25th when I received an SMS from the hospital stating my appointment was confirmed! On Sunday I sent a query to the hospital email & within 90 minutes got a fluent English email back confirming & detailing my appointment. So first thing Monday 28th I took the early coach to BKK, did some essential errands & went to the hospital 2 hours early. Everything was well signposted in English & in the vaccine area there are English/Chinese speaking staff organising the jabs. I got seen an hour early & it all went smoothly. At the registration counter the clerk asked "Your address is in Chonburi?" to which I replied "Yes", it was not an issue & there were other farangs openly from other provinces also there receiving their jabs. My second jab is booked for exactly 10 weeks time.

Aftermath. With all the talk of a possible BKK shutdown & with some provinces like Chanthaburi quarantining BKK visitors  I decided to head back to PTY on the next bus. Unfortunately during the next 3 days I experienced a pretty bad reaction to the Astra shot. My leg muscles & joints ached continuously & noticeably for around 72 hours. It was not agonising pain but discomforting, & for example I could not sleep as I had to change position every 2-3 minutes, the most comfortable position was standing or walking but you cant do that for 3 days! I guess I was just one of those unlucky >1% who get a bad reaction, but it did make me wonder if my reaction to the vaccine was this bad, maybe my reaction to Covid would also have been bad! The Intervac site appears closed at present but IF it re-opens & IF the registration menu's still allow for non-BKK registrants, then it may well again be a possibility for PTY based vaccine hunters. For my second jab I have decided to hire a car/driver for the return journey, allowing for up to a 2 hour wait at the hospital, this is clearly the least stressful way of doing it.

Harry so glad to hear this. This is exactly my experience as well - except I spent two hours on the phone with Intervac to clarify if I can get vaccinated in Bangkok if I live in Chonburi to which I was told this is no problem because a certain poster stated in this forum that its "against the rules" and that most likely my appointment would get cancelled etc. etc. I had my appointment last week - confirmed with them again that I lived in Chonburi and it went exceptionally well and I am very glad I got the first shot in my arm now. I would strongly urge all people here to keep an eye on Intervac.com and sign up as soon as slots are available. The site is atrocious but the process works nevertheless. Don't give up - me and Harry did it - so can you! ????

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You took a risk that registering in Bangkok when you live elsewhere was going to be accepted..

Your gamble paid off.. 

Great. 

Not what's possible now.

If it is ever restored neither you or anyone else can assure that Chonburi residents registering for jabs in Bangkok will be accepted as you were.

Maybe or maybe not. 

I personally would highly recommend  to keep an eye out on Intervac.com and register as soon as the site becomes available again and not listen to people that make unbased claims about provincial entitlements. Yes it has been down since ages but people got vaccinated and one must assume that once Intervac gets assigned the next batch they will open the site again. At least that route has worked succcesfully whereas all the private hospital registration sites that sprung up and the Moderna registrations are yet to be proven out.

14 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

it keeps me amused.

Some post on here for the craic, others as a result of maybe too much crack.

Disclaimer: Other opioids and alternative cognitive stimulants are available. Studies have shown [links below] that many such 'substances' change your personality. They don't actually do that, they simply bring out the real you.

Chain-Link-Fence-Cost.jpg

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

I personally would highly recommend  to keep an eye out on Intervac.com and register as soon as the site becomes available again and not listen to people that make unbased claims about provincial entitlements. Yes it has been down since ages but people got vaccinated and one must assume that once Intervac gets assigned the next batch they will open the site again. At least that route has worked succcesfully whereas all the private hospital registration sites that sprung up and the Moderna registrations are yet to be proven out.

I have learned to ASSUME NOTHING AT ALL when it comes to Thailand's so called rollout of Covid-19 vaccines. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I have learned to ASSUME NOTHING AT ALL when it comes to Thailand's so called rollout of Covid-19 vaccines. 

I fully agree but rather shooting each other down on this forum I think it is helpful if we can provide each other positive encouragement and share what has worked in the past for the benefit of others. One of the avenues that has worked was intervac.com for foreigners based here in Chonburi. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Your gamble paid off.. 

Great. 

Not what's possible now.

Maybe or maybe not. 

Hi Jingthing, that's the whole point I didn't register at the 'Bangkok Intervac' site I registered at the Thailand Intervac site - it was no gamble. It was clearly set up for national not Bangkok specific registration, which is why the registration process gave all provinces for the address & all districts within those provinces. At the very beginning they obviously hoped to include BPH in PTY for distribution of vaccines (a BKK only site surely would not be doing that), but that did not work out, so as a matter of practical distribution & their first 3 vaccine centres were in BKK but those appointments were not solely intended for BKK residents. From my experience, that of others on this board & the expats at the hospital, anybody openly & legitimately registering via Intervac was eligible for the vaccine whichever province they applied from.

The Thailandintervac site is currently suspended but its not disappeared or been closed, it appears they are awaiting confirmation of new vaccine deliveries before re-opening. As we all know, nobody can guarantee anything in this v unfortunate situation, but if they do re-open & the registration drop down menu's allow you to register from a province other than Bangkok, that is not an accident but an invitation to register & receive a vaccine at an available hospital - which by then may or may not include hospitals outside of BKK.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

I fully agree but rather shooting each other down on this forum I think it is helpful if we can provide each other positive encouragement and share what has worked in the past for the benefit of others. One of the avenues that has worked was intervac.com for foreigners based here in Chonburi. 

Key word.

Worked.

For some.

Before. 

The future we can't really know.

2 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Hi Jingthing, that's the whole point I didn't register at the 'Bangkok Intervac' site I registered at the Thailand Intervac site - it was no gamble. It was clearly set up for national not Bangkok specific registration, which is why the registration process gave all provinces for the address & all districts within those provinces. At the very beginning they obviously hoped to include BPH in PTY for distribution of vaccines (a BKK only site surely would not be doing that), but that did not work out, so as a matter of practical distribution & their first 3 vaccine centres were in BKK but those appointments were not solely intended for BKK residents. From my experience, that of others on this board & the expats at the hospital, anybody openly & legitimately registering via Intervac was eligible for the vaccine whichever province they applied from.

The Thailandintervac site is currently suspended but its not disappeared or been closed, it appears they are awaiting confirmation of new vaccine deliveries before re-opening. As we all know, nobody can guarantee anything in this v unfortunate situation, but if they do re-open & the registration drop down menu's allow you to register from a province other than Bangkok, that is not an accident but an invitation to register & receive a vaccine at an available hospital - which by then may or may not include hospitals outside of BKK.

you are spot on and thats exactly how it's intended to work and has worked for me. You and me followed the process and spent a considerable time and effort to get vaccinated. We didn't gamble, nor took risks or "fell through the cracks" we follow the CCSAs advice to get registered and vaccinated at Thailand Intervac where all foreigners had an opportunity to register. 

If this would have been a Bangkok only affair they would have been very quickly pointing out on their website together with all the other restrictions such as age and medical issues if this would have been the cas  - which frankly makes no sense as their priority was to adress elderly and vulnerable foreigners. 

They confirmed this to me on the phone as well on June 14th and checked on site if I am still a resident of Chonburi and it is beyond me why some posters here chose to spread misinformation and engage in fearmongering  rather than be happy for the ones that took an effort  to get registered and vaccinated for the benefit of everybody they come in touch with. 

29 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not buying your narrative.

Too many assumptions to support your conclusion.

Some contrary evidence.

I watched the CCSA announcements about thailandintervac.com. Not once did they say they were inviting non Bangkokians to book jabs in Bangkok. 

In fact they.mentioned that a national rollout was in the works and to expect regional hospitals to be announced later.

That at least strongly implies they intended to link vaccine sites with provincial residence.

Of course that didn't happen. 

However its entirely possible that the access given to non Bangkokians happened unintentionally and wasn't policy.

Consider the fact that Thailand is prioritizing infection hot spots and also Phuket. Bangkok area still the major hot spot.

Remember Mor Phrom with pink cards?

It's obvious by now that even though such bookings have been honored that system wasn't designed with the idea of inviting any non Thais.

So the past is the past but whatever happened in the past can't be assumed to predict the future.

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

so what would you recommend instead?

As I've said repeatedly at this time there is no path for expats to register for vaccinations in Pattaya. 

Can't get blood out of a stone.