Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

That's nonsense!  First of all, for someone who says he's lived here for 17 years you seem to have little understanding that things DO in fact work here for expats but not in the manner that many Westerners are accustomed to.

There is currently nothing that indicates expats will not receive vaccination here but obviously it will take longer due to the extreme poor planning  early on, and the strategy right now that's dictated by the short supply of vaccines currently on hand.  That will all change in the coming weeks as more vaccines arrive into the Kingdom.

As for your oversimplified rationale about returning to your home country for vaccination, there are in fact serious obstacles for many expats.

Firstly there is cost and time.  I;ve looked into doing this (USA) and conservatively I estimate a cost of over $5,000 and a minimum of six weeks for r/t airfare, time in quarantine (possibly for both arrival in US and then back in Thailand).

Then there's the very real danger of travelling as an unvaccinated person since it involves sitting in a plane for many hours with strangers, and in layover airports for a total time of up to 36 hours in some cases.  True, fellow travellers should have tested negative before boarding the flight, but that does not guarantee safety, and layover time in airports offers NO protection against people that may be infected.

Then wait until it happens here - up to you.

You're very naive if you think it'll happen anytime soon.

Really, is $5K that much to be protected from this if you're so worried?

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps but it's not at all clear yet if the local private hospitals are actually going to follow that schedule. Since when have they followed schedules from national announcements on vaccines?

I rest my case, no one can ever predict what will happen here.

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Just to make it easy to track any possible announcements, byt he private hospitals, here are the links:

112. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

116. Pattaya Memorial Hospital

117. Pattaya Inter Hospital

Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath.  None of them have made so much as a whisper about any private rollout except BHP with their "we'll let you know on our facebook page" message.

Thank you.

That is useful.

Any nerds out there care to write a script that automatically scans those sites and gives an alarm when there is any change?

It's not like we're going to be able to click on them 24/7.

Just a thought.

Also, what about their FACEBOOK pages?

Edited by Jingthing

This item is about the previous closing of Moderna booklngs at Memorial. Unfortunately not about restarting bookings on Thursday that might be indicated by the national announcement. 

file-6-20-2021-8-57-21-AM.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Reading the writing on the wall, at this point I would be completely shocked if any local hospital starts taking bookings again for Moderna starting tomorrow. 

I'm assuming this will turn out to be yet another false alarm where grand national announcements have nothing to do with what actually is happening in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

Off topic posts and replies removed:

Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thank you.

That is useful.

Any nerds out there care to write a script that automatically scans those sites and gives an alarm when there is any change?

It's not like we're going to be able to click on them 24/7.

Just a thought.

Also, what about their FACEBOOK pages?

Chances are we'll hear about it through "the grapevine" way before it's ever announced on their websites or facebook pages.  As far as I'm concerned, this past few weeks of being consumed with all of this nonsense is making me crazy. 

I just think there are far better things to be doing right now than chasing elusive rainbows.  When it's really available, we'll know it in no uncertain terms, and until then, we should just try to enjoy life instead of depressing ourselves about something we have no control over.  I mean...it's a beautiful day today; I'm going for a nice long bike ride ????

• Like 2

Sorry, I'm getting confused with all the vaccine threads now, lol. I stuck this on the No vaccines for expats in Pattaya thread, but thought it was here, so I might as well repeat it as it's relevant to the situation in Pattaya.

BHP refuses to commit itself to "October" and will only say that the vaccines SHOULD be available in the fourth quarter. I called them yesterday and they said they won't be taking any names or money tomorrow, they want to wait until the GPO confirms how many doses of Moderna they will receive. It seems a more honest and ethical approach than the hospitals taking money for vaccines they may never receive, though for people who are desperate to get a vaccine, like many of us, it's not a very satisfying message.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's little point in individuals complaining about expats not being included in the City Rollout, the mayor is only going to listen to a well-established and respected organisation. That's how the Chambers of Commerce got their views aired in Thailand, though they were only really focusing on expat business people. About the only two local orgnisations I can think of that are large enough and have been established long enough to possibly get a hearing in City Hall are the two expat clubs. Are there any members here, is the subject being discussed at the clubs' meetings and is any action being proposed?

Or can anyone think of another expat organisation that could make representations to the City administration? Pattaya's economy may be in a mess, but it would be a heck of a lot worse without the thousands of expats living here, spending their money in local businesses and supporting many local people. Surely we deserve some consideration?

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This item is about the previous closing of Moderna booklngs at Memorial. Unfortunately not about restarting bookings on Thursday that might be indicated by the national announcement. 

file-6-20-2021-8-57-21-AM.jpg

Just for the hell of it, and for whatever it's worth, here is a "literal" translation to English:

Pattaya Memorial Hospital Please ask for those who wish Will reserve alternative vaccines (Moderna) with the hospital The hospital would like to stop accepting reservations temporarily from 19 June 2021 onwards if there is progress. The hospital will inform you later.

note:

“The government has allocated the COVID-19 vaccine to the people at no cost.

“The booking of the Covid-19 vaccine at private hospitals is an option that people can choose to receive. but have to pay the expenses by yourself The hospital It is recommended that you get the government-provided vaccine as soon as possible to protect yourself. and your loved ones.

The unsaid translation is probably something like, "hey we screwed up and disregarded the Private Hospital Association guidelines and initially announced availability of Moderna from our hospital and tried to collect money for it before it had even been ordered by the PHA.  So...we'll let you know when we can really start booking appointments at some unknown time in the future."

Just my personal opinion of course.

Edited by WaveHunter

13 minutes ago, Guderian said:

There's little point in individuals complaining about expats not being included in the City Rollout, the mayor is only going to listen to a well-established and respected organisation. That's how the Chambers of Commerce got their views aired in Thailand, though they were only really focusing on expat business people. About the only two local orgnisations I can think of that are large enough and have been established long enough to possibly get a hearing in City Hall are the two expat clubs. Are there any members here, is the subject being discussed at the clubs' meetings and is any action being proposed?

Or can anyone think of another expat organisation that could make representations to the City administration? Pattaya's economy may be in a mess, but it would be a heck of a lot worse without the thousands of expats living here, spending their money in local businesses and supporting many local people. Surely we deserve some consideration?

Many Thai nationals in Pattaya are also unable to be vaccinated so the problem really has nothing to do with expat discrimination.  The problem is not that expats are being discriminated against by the city officials.  It is simply that there is not yet a supply of vaccines to dole out locally to the general public.  What you suggest is like begging for food when the pantry is empty.

The only way expats are going to have some power is by their home governments stepping up to bat for them in terms of assuring that vaccine donations made by those home governments have a provision in those donations that expats be accommodated (such as the Chinese did with SinoVac), or that home governments procure vaccines on behalf of their expat citizens that would be administered through a local Thai hospital (like the French government has done).

So, if you are going to do anything at all, it should be to petition your home government, not Pattaya City Hall.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited by WaveHunter

59 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Many Thai nationals in Pattaya are also unable to be vaccinated so the problem really has nothing to do with expat discrimination.  The problem is not that expats are being discriminated against by the city officials.  It is simply that there is not yet a supply of vaccines to dole out locally to the general public.  What you suggest is like begging for food when the pantry is empty.

The only way expats are going to have some power is by their home governments stepping up to bat for them in terms of assuring that vaccine donations made by those home governments have a provision in those donations that expats be accommodated (such as the Chinese did with SinoVac), or that home governments procure vaccines on behalf of their expat citizens that would be administered through a local Thai hospital (like the French government has done).

So, if you are going to do anything at all, it should be to petition your home government, not Pattaya City Hall.

Just my opinion of course.

At the moment, they are only on the registration phase, so it doesn't matter how many vaccines they have or don't have, the simple fact is that we aren't being allowed to register. I honestly don't see a great likelihood of the Anglo-Saxon governments providing vaccines for their nationals overseas, I suspect they are worried that it would provide a precedent that they don't want to set, at least in the case of the British government.

OTOH, the British Consulate has just released this, saying that people in Pattaya with yellow house books and pink cards can now register.

Pattaya

Foreigners with a Pink ID card and Yellow house book can register for the Sinopharm vaccine via the Pattaya Ready registration site from 09:00 – 15:00 daily. You must have been resident in Pattaya for at least one year.

You can also register via Public Health Offices at Pattaya City Hall, Pattaya City Hospital, Community Medical Centre (Boon Kanjanaram Temple) and Pattaya Beach Road Soi 6 or Pattaya Community Proactive Registration Units at Pattaya City School 2, Pattaya City School 5, Pattaya City School 8 and Pattaya City School 11. Registration at the Health Offices and Registration Units is open 09:00 – 15:00 until 2nd July.

Edited by Guderian

22 minutes ago, Guderian said:

At the moment, they are only on the registration phase, so it doesn't matter how many vaccines they have or don't have, the simple fact is that we aren't being allowed to register. I honestly don't see a great likelihood of the Anglo-Saxon governments providing vaccines for their nationals overseas, I suspect they are worried that it would provide a precedent that they don't want to set, at least in the case of the British government.

OTOH, the British Consulate has just released this, saying that people in Pattaya with yellow house books and pink cards can now register.

Pattaya

Foreigners with a Pink ID card and Yellow house book can register for the Sinopharm vaccine via the Pattaya Ready registration site from 09:00 – 15:00 daily. You must have been resident in Pattaya for at least one year.

You can also register via Public Health Offices at Pattaya City Hall, Pattaya City Hospital, Community Medical Centre (Boon Kanjanaram Temple) and Pattaya Beach Road Soi 6 or Pattaya Community Proactive Registration Units at Pattaya City School 2, Pattaya City School 5, Pattaya City School 8 and Pattaya City School 11. Registration at the Health Offices and Registration Units is open 09:00 – 15:00 until 2nd July.

Well I sure share your anger and frustration over why we are not able to simply register for the public rollout.  THAT to me is simply disgraceful!  There is no rational reason for this to be, and the CCSA has been curiously silent for the past couple of weeks about that. 

A lot of us would feel a lot of relief simply to know we were on queue.  Still though, I don't think that is proof that we are being discriminated against, though one could not be blamed for feeling that way.  Like everything else here in Thailand, it just leaves you scratching your head why the daily CCSA briefings in English (which are targeted specifically to expats) is simply not more transparent and informative to expat's concerns over registration.

As for home countries stepping in, I would agree with you that they don't want to set a precedent but in light of how serious this situation is, that's just not a good enough answer.  I'm sure that the French did not want to do what they did for the same reason initially, but obviously expat pressure must have changed their mind. 

Remember, it's the "squeaky wheel that gets greased"... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  And what you just posted about the British Consulate is just another step in that direction.  I suspect more concessions like that from other home countries will come.

Edited by WaveHunter

28 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Pattaya

Pattaya City Hospital yesterday just said no foreigners, didn't get to pink ID yellow book question. I appreciate some staff there are a bit thick and don't know the rules

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

UK citizens note :

"Over the past weeks the British Chamber of Commerce Thailand (BCCT) has been contacted by many British passport holders residing in Thailand for updates and advice on the current vaccination situation in Thailand. At the same time, we have become aware that some, particularly those at greatest risk from Covid-19, have not yet been vaccinated and have been unable to register to be vaccinated.

The BCCT - www.bccthai.com - is reaching out to this community because of the current uncertainty. Please contact us through our website if you are part of this community and would like the BCCT to try and help. Details below.

Our goal is to coordinate and work with the Department of Disease Control at the Thai Ministry of Public Health to identify a solution. We will also examine potential solutions with other bodies that support British passport holders in Thailand.

Persons aged over 60 years or those with chronic diseases are among target groups for vaccination. Chronic diseases are listed as:-

• Severe Chronic Respiratory Diseases (CRDs)
  • Coronary artery disease (CAD)
  • Chronic kidney disease (CKD) (5th stage)
  • Stroke
  • Cancer patients receiving chemotherapy
  • Diabetes
  • Obesity (weight > 100 kg or BMI > 35 kg/m²)

BCCT uses a secure membership database in its day-to-day work supporting businesses in Thailand. We have created a new database group in order to capture basic data of at-risk (ie those over 60 years of age or with at least one of the chronic diseases listed above) unvaccinated British passport holders at the following secure link:-

https://members.bccthai.com/connect

BCCT would also like to invite those who join this database group to access our many virtual meetings and webinars on a wide range of topics. Alternatively, if you would simply like to talk about anything please email me at - [email protected] – to confirm a day and time. 

Data will be kept securely and will not be used for any purpose external to BCCT. Entries may be deleted at any time (eg should you be vaccinated). If an opportunity arises to use the database in order to make appointments to receive vaccines, all those on the database will be able to opt-out should they wish to. Couples should enter data individually. 

Current British government policy is that the National Health Service does not operate outside the UK. Therefore, vaccines for British passport holders in Thailand will not be supplied from the NHS unless there is a change in UK government policy.  

If you are receiving this notice and are not at risk but you know someone who is, please pass on details.

Best regards
Greg Watkins
Executive Director"

https://members.bccthai.com/BCCT/asp/news.asp?NewsID=1052

I wonder when a similar American organization will react with an actionable plan as well on behalf of its' American expats.

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Still though, I don't think that is proof that we are being discriminated against, though one could not be blamed for feeling that way. 

No, it's not proof, but once you've lived in Thailand long enough and seen racial discrimination on many, many occasions it's hard not to suspect that this is a matter of blatant discrimination. The only real argument I can come up with against that is they could easily have allowed everybody to register for a vaccine, but quietly stuck the farangs at the back of the queue on their computer system. We'd have been happy just to have registered, and it might have taken a long time for the truth of the situation to sink in, probably when they started vaccinating Thai teenagers but 80-year old farangs still hadn't received a jab. So maybe it is just a standard Thai bureaucratic fustercluck, with some idiot deciding the priorities at the same time he's trying to choose his winning lottery numbers.

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I wonder when a similar American organization will react with an actionable plan as well on behalf of its' American expats.

We are trying....article from yesterday.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/american-expats-in-thailand-continue-to-urge-us-to-provide-vaccines-to-citizens-overseas

20 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

As suggested in that article, I have written to my Senator 3 times now about this since May.  I have not received any sort of reply (not even a form letter reply) so I don't know whether my request is falling on deaf ears but I REALLY hope something results from all of these efforts by US organizations on behalf of us US expats.

Both China and France have now set a precedent for helping their expats that the US should certainly follow (and really should have been the first country to do it, considering its' vast stockpile of vaccines).

China did it by stipulating that donated SInoVac to Thailand is on the basis of Chinese expats receive priority in being inoculated, and France, by procuring vaccines to be given to their expat citizens here through Thai hospitals system, which started today) 

Considering that close to 1 BILLION doses are expected to be in the US stockpile by years end and plans are in progress to ship millions of doses to foreign countries, it would be a real travesty if US Expats were simply forgotten about!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

From another non english forum.

Bangkok Pattaya hospital has today started to take names for moderna.

Vaccination starts maby october. Have  to pay when register.

Hearsay, do not ask me for more info, If interested contact hospital,

Modernapattaya.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaitero said:

Modernapattaya.jpg

Now the ....."take the money now" has started I can imagine every hospital will be offering Moderna regardless.

1 hour ago, thaitero said:

Modernapattaya.jpg

Opening up the QR COde provides NOTHING but an empty shopping cart on LINE! 

IMG_1585.thumb.png.c39615c01cd2c6f254bd05b9cd63bcbf.png

Why am I not surprised?  Just another one of the endless screw-ups in this damn registration process !  Will government or hospitals EVER get this right???   @#$%

If anyone has more success than I have had, please post and let us all know...or else I guess we can add this to the ever-growing dustbin of failed registration schemes.

If anyone even cares, here is the translation to the above BS message:

Moderna vaccine

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya opens reservations for alternative vaccines

Moderna is imported from the United States.

(Expected to enter during October 2021 - January 2022)

00 777-273-10

Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Suspension for Intramuscular Inection For use under

Emergency Use Aut Multiple-dose vial

(10 doses of 0.5 m

Price 1,700 baht/1 needle

Price 3,400 baht / 2 needles

(Does not include doctor's fees in case of additional consultation or treatment)

note

The government has allocated the COVID-19 vaccine to the people at no cost. Reservation of the Dovid 19 vaccine at a private healthcare facility is an option.

but have to pay the expenses by yourself

that people can choose to receive services

• The second dose of Moderna vaccination should be spaced at least 4 weeks after the first dose - the hospital will only refund if the Moderna vaccine cannot be allocated

There is no limit to the number of reservations you can make to purchase Moderna vaccines.

Q

Procedure for booking and receiving Moderna vaccines

• Pay via online channel Line MY shop

1. Scan QR code to pay for Moderna vaccines

via Line My Shop, after which the system will notify a message to confirm that the registration is complete

2 around October 2021 - January 2555 after Wat Chon gradually arrived on the way The hospital will contact you back. Dead, raw, booking by sending a link via mobile to make an appointment for vaccination.

Payment through Chivawattana counter

1. Contact the staff at the Chivawattana 2 counter to pay for the vaccine. and receive a receipt

3. Around October 2021 - January 2012 after people gradually come

The hospital will contact you back in the order of booking.

By sending a link through the hand of Mr. Nid to receive the vaccination.

Register to reserve vaccines Scan QR code

35 Anniversary

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

It seems they start midnight,,

Make a choice for your good life
Open for reservation for alternative vaccines  Moderna
imported from USA

‼ From 1 July 2021 ‼
See you after midnight today
the first through the channel
 Line MyShop : https://bit.ly/3fbX3sY
Or buy it at the Chivawattana counter every day.
From 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
‼ You can order 2 channels only ‼
‼ until stock runs out ‼

Booster: price 1,700 baht/1 needle
Full Course: Price 3,400 baht/2 needles
(Does not include doctor's fees in case of additional consultation or treatment)
https://bit.ly/3h5JnSa

How to buy through LINE MY SHOP

Edited by thaitero

1 hour ago, marino28 said:

I bought via line the Moderna vaccine from Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

The process was very simple. 
all the information are on their Facebook page and internet site

Have they approved your payment confirmation yet.  Or wait until business hours tomorrow?

Thanks