As vaccine tourism takes off in Thailand, what can jab-seeking jet-setters expect?

webfact

19 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The Maldives kicked off its free vaccine for tourists programme and some people have got the J&J jab there.  The only catch is that most of their tourists have been coming from India and now they have a full scale outbreak that's overwhelming the scant hospitals of the copital, Male, which is mainly ramshackle slums. 

An American friend traveling to LA last week reported his plan was filled with rich or powerful Thais seeking vaccines in the US.  Hopefully the the "Thonglor variant" did not travel with them.

20 hours ago, tingtong said:

The Maldives are lot nearer, and long offer a jab on arrival for tourists.

Qatar/Emirates/Etihad offer flights there starting about 24k baht. Only thing is none is direct and there is some risk of getting infected on the way, which could seriously ruin plans of a nice good 2 weeks jabcation by the sea. And obviously 2 additional weeks of Bangkok's Finest Prison experience (ASQ).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tingtong said:

What type of vaccine are they offering? If it is the Johnson and Johnson one, it's super, as a short stay of a week or so is feasible.

All other vaccines (two shots) require a longer stay, which may be difficult for many.

23 hours ago, tingtong said:

And unlike the US, easy to get a visa. On arrival.

But they will still face 14 day quarantine on return.

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

They will, it's just a matter of time.

I don't think it will be allowed to happen before they begin mass vaccinations - purely so those in charge can save face.

All those going for private vaccination can then announce that they gave up their state funded vaccine allocation so someone less fortunate might benefit ????

It really is not about the timing of this, or saving Face.

The reality is the Pharma Companies will not supply, or sell to the private Sector. The sales of Covid Vaccine are for Government Sales only.

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

My home state of Massachusetts is now vaccinating anyone 12 and up. 

Is that  where the Bee Gees are from? My home state of Grampian is not vaccinating kids that young. . 

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

It really is not about the timing of this, or saving Face.

The reality is the Pharma Companies will not supply, or sell to the private Sector. The sales of Covid Vaccine are for Government Sales only.

and the Government in Thailand is showing major incompetence. To ensure proper coverage of 70 million people, 150 million jabs (if the vaccine requires 2 jabs for maximum efficacy) need to be ordered, paid for, received and distributed.

Sinopharm was approved d by WHO yesterday, Moderna, 7the May. AZ 16 Feb, Pfizer approved by UK government on 3rd December 2020.

Stop <deleted> around and stop pretending Thailand needs to register and approve these vaccines. 

Get it done. People are dying now, in their droves. The first phase nearly passed you by, and lulled you into a false sense of security. Idiots brought infection into the country in search of the cheap labour. 

Thailand is 6th in ASEAN for innoculations. 6th out of how many countries...? Oh that's right...10.

Edited by Scott Tracy
Spelling correcrion
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 6:13 AM, webfact said:

The trips have attracted strong interest among wealthy Thais, but authorities have issued some cautionary advice for jab-hungry jet-setters.

Familiarise yo'selves with the Health and Safety handbook if you get anywhere near a NHS hospital would be the best advice .. as they'll crucify you for walking against the direction of the floor arrows .. 

And look forward to paying the same as the indigenous population for whatever you have in mind .. double pricing based on your nationality is a bit of an affront in the west .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp

On 5/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Same here.... I will travel to the Middle East for work next month. As soon as I get there I plan to get the Pfizer vaccine (which residents can get for free) - I figure this will be before I have the opportunity to get the vaccine in Thailand. 

But, I see most foreigners in Thailand will have had the opportunity to receive at least the AZ vaccine within the next couple of months.

Not too much to worry about other than the risk of a major outbreak in Thailand and lack of availability of beds for those with serious symptoms. First they have to stop giving hospital beds to those isolating without symptoms. 

But will you get a recognized vaccination document?

On 5/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Same here.... I will travel to the Middle East for work next month. As soon as I get there I plan to get the Pfizer vaccine (which residents can get for free) - I figure this will be before I have the opportunity to get the vaccine in Thailand. 

But, I see most foreigners in Thailand will have had the opportunity to receive at least the AZ vaccine within the next couple of months.

Not too much to worry about other than the risk of a major outbreak in Thailand and lack of availability of beds for those with serious symptoms. First they have to stop giving hospital beds to those isolating without symptoms. 

Not sure about Saudi Arabia or UAE but in Bahrain you are eligible to get the vaccine only if you are a resident (holding a local ID) otherwise you can't register for it. In the beginning of the vaccination program they were some lucky people who were able to get vaccinated while on tourist or business visa but they have catch up with that fast and stopped it. 

Come on Thai Visa..... more fake news? 

No one can Enter the United States without a Negative Covid test 3 days before arriving.

One canceled flight segment, and no access will be granted to enter regardless US citizen or not.

DO NOT FLY is going to be increased to 80% of the world any day.

You can also count on an official document ( verifying inoculation) to be required for anyone wishing to travel to the US in the next 30 days.... if it hasn't been announced already. 

No jabbing jetsetters as of yet. The only exception would be Thai Nationals who have diplomatic relations with the USA and have received they're Injections at the US Embassy.  

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Is that  where the Bee Gees are from? My home state of Grampian is not vaccinating kids that young. . 

The Bee Gees were born on Isle of Mann, and formed the group in Australia. They did have a hit song titled, "Massachusetts".

And I was wrong on the vaccination of 12 yo kids. Massachusetts is currently vaccinating persons 16 yo and up. But the FDA is supposed to approve Pfizer for use on persons 12 during the coming week, and Massachusetts says it will allow 12 year olds to be vaccined as soon as the ruling on ages is changed. 

More lies, mixed messaging and incompetence from a bunch of spoofers

I and i know many who have just left not just because there is no vacs nothing open no confidence in the flip flopping messages, might return next year

20 hours ago, madmen said:

Why should they get good choice? I never got that in OZ. Just give them what's available and get cracking and stop time wasting 

not sure what you have in OZ..in the US.."most" of the time we have avenues of choice...at first it was take what you can get but now you can easily choose.

21 hours ago, madmen said:

Why should they get good choice? I never got that in OZ. Just give them what's available and get cracking and stop time wasting 

But but but that doesn't fit in with the colonial expat attitude of me first before they natives and not only that I should get what I want when  I want and anyone that doesn't provide that is an evil racist who is denying me what I want.

12 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Qatar/Emirates/Etihad offer flights there starting about 24k baht. Only thing is none is direct and there is some risk of getting infected on the way, which could seriously ruin plans of a nice good 2 weeks jabcation by the sea. And obviously 2 additional weeks of Bangkok's Finest Prison experience (ASQ).

You done any quarantine anywhere? I have in 4 countries and Thailand's was by far the best I have experienced a don't call staying in a 4 or 5 star hotel with access to balcony and being allowed out of your room after your first negative test a prison experience. If ya want that you wouldn't want to see Australia's quarantine "experince"

6 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Alaska USA offers free Pfizer or Moderna jab upon landing at any airport, to all travelers, on June 1, 2021 or later. No quarantine. Free testing and free 2nd jab if you stay 30 days or more. https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/

Very interesting.  And coming up on the best time to visit there.  But I think the USA is really opening up now with regards to jab availability.  Hopefully, we'll start to see some progress here in June.  Hopefully.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

At my age, people in their 20's are "kids" and that's the age group they're in.

And with them calling the trip a Pfizer Holiday and flaunting their vaccination certificates, yes, I'm sure they want the vaccine, even though they are in a lower risk group than older people. 

My home state of Massachusetts is now vaccinating anyone 12 and up. 

I love Massachusetts....I went on business 30 years ago and Just loved the place...I will always remember having seafood at a bar at the pier just down the road from "Seven Gables"....I will never forget that...So Good! ????????... I just checked it out on Google Maps and it was  called "The Sea Level Oyster Bar"...I had Lobster! 

Edited by Mario666
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, starky said:

You done any quarantine anywhere? I have in 4 countries and Thailand's was by far the best I have experienced a don't call staying in a 4 or 5 star hotel with access to balcony and being allowed out of your room after your first negative test a prison experience. If ya want that you wouldn't want to see Australia's quarantine "experince"

I did quarrantine in a 4 star with balcony in thailand 1 test is when you arrive 2nd test is 10 days latter then allowed out after neg result 1 day latter, supervised for 1 hour in a designated area as they are the rules in all AQL heard guys saying they had "girls in the room most nights" baloney