Pattaya A Dead or Dying City?

Pilotman

2 minutes ago, champers said:

T21 was doing well pre-Covid and since Covid began they have decided to build a new muti-storey car park; under construction now. The owners must be optimistic.

It is a great Mall but like Central was a pain to get to and park in. The multi-storey  is an attempt to address that, but I will still be using BigC-X on a Sunday morning.... in and out quite easy. 

48 minutes ago, champers said:

T21 was doing well pre-Covid

That was not my observations, pre covid.

49 minutes ago, champers said:

and since Covid began they have decided to build a new muti-storey car park; under construction now.

Let's say the new car park is a hit with consumers.  There's only enough customers to go around for a certain amount of malls here.  

If T21 was to become successful, it would be at the expense of another mall.   

On 5/12/2021 at 10:33 AM, J Town said:

If anyone read "The Dark Tower" series, they'll understand the term "the world has moved on."  Yes, everything is shut down by decree and will probably go on an "open/shut" roller coaster for a year or two.

The sex industry was Pattaya's forte. That's been demolished. The girls found out they can make a fortune online without ever swapping bodily fluids. I don't think it will ever return to its glorious apex of the previous decade. I'm just seriously grateful I got in as many soapies as I did!

The world has moved on.

"The oldest profession in the world" will rise ???? again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rcuthbert said:

"The oldest profession in the world" will rise ???? again.

Yes, but it will take quite some time.  It will not happen overnight, simply because borders have been opened.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

If T21 was to become successful, it would be at the expense of another mall.  

Well yes, I think they hit Central Festival BR... certainly their overpriced food court. 

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is a great Mall but like Central was a pain to get to and park in. The multi-storey  is an attempt to address that, but I will still be using BigC-X on a Sunday morning.... in and out quite easy. 

I never found T21 a problem for parking, much better than Central. But then i tend to during the week to avoid the weekend shoppers.  I was there this week, the place was almost empty (except for the great food hall). The shops there must have deep pockets.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that is the Royal Garden Hotel mall it is the exception to what I'm going to say as it predated all the new malls, but IMO any mall doing badly that was built after Central deserve their failure as there were already too many malls.

That's a very short-sighted assessment of the pre-covid era. When malls are built, they are looking to the future and growth of the tourism industry, not expecting it to fail. Do you think new mall developments should not compete with existing malls for market share? There are ups and downs in tourism industry, but they look long term. Your "too many malls" comment makes no sense either. Central Mall is the most successful of them, and that came AFTER Garden Plaza and Central Marina, both which predated it by many years. It came after and destroyed them. If most cities held your ideas, there would never be any advancement at all. Speculation is what makes the modern world tick. Competition is a good thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I never found T21 a problem for parking, much better than Central. But then i tend to during the week to avoid the weekend shoppers.  I was there this week, the place was almost empty (except for the great food hall). The shops there must have deep pockets.

Well it turned North Rd into a traffic jam, and I come in from out of town... I would be better with a smaller vehicle.

28 minutes ago, tomyami said:

expect more of this at the corner of soi Diana and second road will they help fill the malls

20210504_111518.jpg

How will they help fill the malls when they are not full themselves?  Just look at the Base next door.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How will they help fill the malls when they are not full themselves?  Just look at the Base next door.  

Even before the Covidiocy  they where saying there where something  like 35,000 unsold units in Pattaya !

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Even if they were full, i don't see how it could help the malls

these ''condo-hotel'' are the cheapest option on airbnb and the like

that means they are full of tourists that you are more likely to see at the 7\11

buying a cheap 40bhts meal rather than in an expensive restaurant 

in one of the shopping malls.  

That's why the 7\11 have been mutiplied by 10 or 20 in the last years in this area

and that's why the food court in T21 was dirty cheap, they were all targeting

these people.

You can attract a lot of people in T21 with 30 or 40 thb meals in your food court

that creates the illusion of a big traffic in the center

so you can ask a high rent for your space if you are the owner of the mall

however i am not sure at all it gives a decent customers base for the shops and restaurants

2 hours ago, tomyami said:

expect more of this at the corner of soi Diana and second road will they help fill the malls

20210504_111518.jpg

This type of building shouldn't be

allowed to be build for safety reasons

it's just a disaster waiting to happens

imagine if a fire start in high season in the middle

of the night in the low levels, it will be hundred\thousand of victims

Maybe the oldest of us remember the fire in the hotel in Jomtiem ?

https://apnews.com/article/31d72ecfed6d2d558a4889e1c451fd85

Unfortunately the firefighters in Pattaya haven't a much better equipment nowadays and they are not prepared at all to fight a fire in this type of building

Edited by kingofthemountain

Until I start to see global fashion brands like Uniglo and H&M merge their Central Festival and Terminal 21 outlets into 1 store I remain convinced that there is enough business and customer differentiation for both the main malls to profitably co-exist in the long-term. It's great to have 2 quality retail options in the town.

The big question for me is what happens to the Avenue, Marina, Royal Garden in the next few years and also that horrendous eyesore The Bay, I think they should just demolish that one and start again.  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 4:00 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course it will live on to some degree, but it might be reduced to the pitiful level of Chiang Mai, where the bars are a bad joke. They were so pathetic that I just couldn't be bothered, and I used to be a bar addict in Pattaya. I couldn't even find a decent soapy. There was one in a big hotel, but it had been closed permanently.

AFAIK Sayuri and Celeb are still open for business.

Forgot about Tops on the corner of the traffic light junction of Klang and 2nd road, that's another outlet fallen on hard times ripe for repurposing in a good location.

Edited by kinyara
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, kinyara said:

The big question for me is what happens to the Avenue, Marina, Royal Garden in the next few years and also that horrendous eyesore The Bay, I think they should just demolish that one and start again.  

They are the perfect places to create few public parks

unfortunately the city hall and the Thais seems to hate the trees

so i wouldn't be surprised if they do more parking for the cars instead

(That's exactly what they are going to do in Naklua, a car park at the place of the actual park)

• Like 2

why are they building really bad condos small 26sqm arcadia, base and the 1 imaged no balcony definitely build with short stay plan for visitors, needs mass tourist movement to work wont bring higher quality market but tour groups for sure when it comes back pattaya screwed till then

10 hours ago, kinyara said:

Until I start to see global fashion brands like Uniglo and H&M merge their Central Festival and Terminal 21 outlets into 1 store I remain convinced that there is enough business and customer differentiation for both the main malls to profitably co-exist in the long-term. It's great to have 2 quality retail options in the town.

Agree.  Both malls were doing well in 2019.  Before T21, my partner and I couldn't go to Festival on a weekend--just too busy.  After T21  opened it was a little less busy and finding a parking place--and getting in and out of the parking garage--was now manageable.  We sometimes go to Festival, sometimes T21.  Nice to have both.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, johng said:

Even before the Covidiocy  they where saying there where something  like 35,000 unsold units in Pattaya !

Sorry poor recollection.   25,000 not 35,000 ????

"The Pattaya condo market is seeing significant oversupply according to Colliers Research, with more than 25,000 units remaining unsold as of the end of 2019"

https://thailand-business-supplement.com/2020/04/17/pattaya-condo-market-sees-record-oversupply/

On 5/29/2021 at 10:17 PM, jacko45k said:

Just T21 I think... pretty sure Harbor predated Central Festival. And that one along with The Avenue never stood a chance. 

I don't consider the Avenues to have ever been a contender for success. I knew when it opened ( I was there at the ceremony ) that it would fail simply because it was not all air conditioned. Why would anyone want to walk around in the heat, when Royal Garden was a very nice, fully AC mall, and only a 5 minute walk away.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redwood1 said:

That food court was packed all day every day in days past, that place was a money printing machine...They traded in a gold mine for a turd and no one seems to really care....

Every time I went it was packed with Russians, and I believe that the Russians have not yet returned.

1 hour ago, Inala said:

The girls working online and their customers will be bored with the sterility of that experience and jump at the chance for flesh to flesh contact.

Errrrrr, the on line bit was only to arrange a meeting for "flesh to flesh" contact. That may have changed after corona given lack of farangs actually IN Thailand, but IMO it'll change back when the customers return. IMO hanging around in some grotty bar pretending to like fat sweaty farangs must have been very boring.