Pattaya A Dead or Dying City?

Pilotman

4 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Afaik the EEC hardly attract an infime part of the investissments expected

it looks like more of another oportunity to fill deep pockets with public money

Yep, but it is written in the constitution which is the highest law of the land so doesn't matter what we think. 

11 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I was going to write same but you got there first. I'll add that foreigners cavorting with scantily clad girls in open air beer bars at a family resort will always attract attention and never look good. At least the Thai men keep there philandering discrete.

Ditto.  You fail to understand the more sordid underbelly of Thai culture.  It's in plain sight, it's not hidden or behind closed doors.
Neon signs - on main streets and thoroughfares.  Big neon letters!  Ap Ob Nuat!  And Karaoke bars.  And Curtain Hotels. 
But - ignorance is bliss. 

Picture-047.jpg.1ffd7c940f40c15cda5d63fcbbf3f49a.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Ditto.  You fail to understand the more sordid underbelly of Thai culture.  It's in plain sight, it's not hidden or behind closed doors.
Neon signs - on main streets and thoroughfares.  Big neon letters!  Ap Ob Nuat!  And Karaoke bars.  And Curtain Hotels. 
But - ignorance is bliss. 

Picture-047.jpg.1ffd7c940f40c15cda5d63fcbbf3f49a.jpg

The only thing I fail to understand is why you still don't understand my point after three or four clearly worded posts.

7 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

We are talking about Thailand ?

That should relativize

''Since 1932, Thailand has had 20 charters or constitutions (as of 2015)—an average of one roughly every four years—many adopted following military coups, which reflects a high degree of political instability. After each successful coup, military regimes abrogated existing constitutions and promulgated new ones.''  

Indeed, but then would they amend a constitution to effectively write themselves out of a very lucrative income stream?

There will be too many fingers in pies by the time the next rewrite comes around to do anything about it.

Same goes for the upper house of unelected senators. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed, but then would they amend a constitution to effectively write themselves out of a very lucrative money pit?

There will be too many fingers in pies by the time the next rewrite comes around to do anything about it.

Same goes for the upper house of unelected senators. 

The next to comes to take their part of the pie in few years

will be the ones who rewrite or amend it if necessary.

All the past history of Thailand is about it

As for the EEC, mark my words, in 10 years it will be a forgotten word

with only few derelicts buildings and abandoned fields remaining as

a proof of its existence

again nothing new in Thailand

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

The world has moved on from physical sex? 

Girls making a fortune online? 

I seriously doubt both your claims. 

You obviously never read the books so you don't get the reference.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, Danderman123 said:

There is no question that some fraction of people in Isaan go to college. But, given the vast tonnage of rice harvested in Isaan, somebody is working in the rice fields. And by "somebody", I mean a lot of people. 

Recent trip to far NE Isaan over Songkran....first time back in a few years.

Now nearly all the rice farming is now mechanized with Kubota tractors and harvesters. A few men doing what hundreds of family members used to do by hand. 

A lot has changed and young people leave for a paying job.

One I know one who went to Samut Prakhan to work in a factory.  

Now in hospital with pretty bad Covid19. 

Great!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, spidermike007 said:

Few areas will revert back to normal. Tourism, especially. The target group for Thailand tourism was hit hard by this insane international economic shutdown. It was the first time in history it ever happened.

Few tourists here for nearly two years, by the time they open up again. Many will be afraid of crowded airports and airplanes. Everything will be different. Without sounding like a prophet of doom, everything will be different. Many industries will recover. But tourism here has taken a huge hit. And it will take alot to bring it back, to re-boot the infrastructure, and get it going again. Nothing can be taken for granted. 

Also, many tourism problems existed long before Covid. None were addressed. None. And they did not just go away. Thailand is being forgotten the longer time goes by. 

Thailand needs the world 10x more than the world needs Thailand. The authorities still don't get that. 

You sound like a prophet of disgrace.

Should learn to watch at the glass as half full, you clearly haven't learned much from Thailand all these years.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, spidermike007 said:

Few areas will revert back to normal. Tourism, especially. The target group for Thailand tourism was hit hard by this insane international economic shutdown. It was the first time in history it ever happened.

Few tourists here for nearly two years, by the time they open up again. Many will be afraid of crowded airports and airplanes. Everything will be different. Without sounding like a prophet of doom, everything will be different. Many industries will recover. But tourism here has taken a huge hit. And it will take alot to bring it back, to re-boot the infrastructure, and get it going again. Nothing can be taken for granted. 

Also, many tourism problems existed long before Covid. None were addressed. None. And they did not just go away. Thailand is being forgotten the longer time goes by. 

Thailand needs the world 10x more than the world needs Thailand. The authorities still don't get that. 

I think unfortunately many thai service providers, restaurants, bars etc, will try to ensure themselves against something like this happening again by targeting Thai tourists more and more, Chinese and less and less Western tourists. This alone will turn off Western tourists who will not like the feeling of being 3rd class tourists, with everything geared towards Thais, Chinese and so it will be a self-fulfilling path. The mere risk of another virus lockdown will result in less offers towards Western tourists. One can see it already in Chiang Mai, with many of the typical Western tourist places gone and everyone talking about targeting Thai and Chinese tourists.

Sadly the British and Americans didn't help this situation by keeping their vaccines for themselves. Sure, they may emerge a few days earlier from lockdown, but at the cost of forcing all of Europe to lag behind in vaccination, particularly Germany whose Turkish led Biontech has been selling their vaccine primarily abroad, unlike AstraZeneca which prioritised the British. Because Europe will be seen by Thais as the unlikely high risk group that will probably not be coming any time soon, this will of course affect the tourist offers for Brits and Americans, but they don't realise this.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

I think unfortunately many thai service providers, restaurants, bars etc, will try to ensure themselves against something like this happening again by targeting Thai tourists more and more, Chinese and less and less Western tourists. This alone will turn off Western tourists who will not like the feeling of being 3rd class tourists, with everything geared towards Thais, Chinese and so it will be a self-fulfilling path. The mere risk of another virus lockdown will result in less offers towards Western tourists. One can see it already in Chiang Mai, with many of the typical Western tourist places gone and everyone talking about targeting Thai and Chinese tourists.

Sadly the British and Americans didn't help this situation by keeping their vaccines for themselves. Sure, they may emerge a few days earlier from lockdown, but at the cost of forcing all of Europe to lag behind in vaccination, particularly Germany whose Turkish led Biontech has been selling their vaccine primarily abroad, unlike AstraZeneca which prioritised the British. Because Europe will be seen by Thais as the unlikely high risk group that will probably not be coming any time soon, this will of course affect the tourist offers for Brits and Americans, but they don't realise this.

Thai's will not / can not pay farang prices, so in order for what you describe to happen, there would have to be a market correction in commercial property rents, and if such a correction was to occur, this is favourable to businesses catering for western tourist, and western tourism themselves. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

One can see it already in Chiang Mai, with many of the typical Western tourist places gone and everyone talking about targeting Thai and Chinese tourists.

I mean, we all knew it was going to happen.  It was just a matter of how soon.  This whole situation just paved the way for the shift to happen sooner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Thai's will not / can not pay farang prices, so in order for what you describe to happen, there would have to be a market correction in commercial property rents, and if such a correction was to occur, this is favourable to businesses catering for western tourist, and western tourism themselves. 

While the purchasing power of the Thai middle class is somewhat less, undoubtedly, there are also Chinese, Koreans etc, and given the chaos which Germany, France and most of Europe are now in, thanks to the betrayal by the Anglo-Saxons in keeping vaccines for themselves and their own stupidity of allowing the mass-export of their own vaccine, I wonder if large parts of Europe will fancy large scale travel if they have to keep quarantine for 2 weeks when they come back.

I hope I'm wrong, but if I was Thai, I certainly wouldn't bet on German, French, European tourists, and by themselves the British and Americans are just too small a group to matter. I would do everything to get Thai, Chinese, Korean tourists, which appears to be what most are doing now.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

I mean, we all knew it was going to happen.  It was just a matter of how soon.  This whole situation just paved the way for the shift to happen sooner. 

Indeed. We have seen this virus basically accelerate existing trends, same with the closures of retail stores on the high street, the push towards plastic payment. Covid is a big accelerator of underlying trends.

11 minutes ago, Logosone said:

While the purchasing power of the Thai middle class is somewhat less, undoubtedly, there are also Chinese, Koreans etc, and given the chaos which Germany, France and most of Europe are now in, thanks to the betrayal by the Anglo-Saxons in keeping vaccines for themselves and their own stupidity of allowing the mass-export of their own vaccine, I wonder if large parts of Europe will fancy large scale travel if they have to keep quarantine for 2 weeks when they come back.

I hope I'm wrong, but if I was Thai, I certainly wouldn't bet on German, French, European tourists, and by themselves the British and Americans are just too small a group to matter. I would do everything to get Thai, Chinese, Korean tourists, which appears to be what most are doing now.

Thailand is around 12 months away, at best, for vaccinating around 65% of the Thai population, and opening borders.  Europe will be well ahead by the time Thailand opens up for business.  

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Wrong; more British and American tourists to Thailand than German or French in 2019 accodring to this source.

Wrong, Russian tourists alone in 2019 outnumbered British by a very large margin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Yes, there is a little more British than Germans in Thailand, by a tiny margin, but once you factor in all of Europe the Brits and Americans are a much smaller group.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Thailand is around 12 months away, at best, for vaccinating around 65% of the Thai population, and opening borders.  Europe will be well ahead by the time Thailand opens up for business.  

It doesn't matter, because Thais are already in Thailand, Europeans have to contend with their own very slow vaccination and quarantine. Thais are already there. And the Chinese will be way ahead. I don't think Thais will gear up for Europeans, more likely for Chinese and Thais.

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I certainly wouldn't bet on German, French, European tourists, and by themselves the British and Americans are just too small a group to matter

Just now, Logosone said:
  1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Wrong; more British and American tourists to Thailand than German or French in 2019 accodring to this source.

Just now, Logosone said:

Wrong, Russian tourists alone in 2019 outnumbered British by a very large margin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Yes, there is a little more British than Germans in Thailand, by a tiny margin, but once you factor in all of Europe the Brits and Americans are a much smaller group.

The comparison was British and Americans vs Germans and French numbers.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 8:33 PM, J Town said:

If anyone read "The Dark Tower" series, they'll understand the term "the world has moved on."  Yes, everything is shut down by decree and will probably go on an "open/shut" roller coaster for a year or two.

The sex industry was Pattaya's forte. That's been demolished. The girls found out they can make a fortune online without ever swapping bodily fluids. I don't think it will ever return to its glorious apex of the previous decade. I'm just seriously grateful I got in as many soapies as I did!

The world has moved on.

Wow! How do they make a fortune online? I want to tell some girls.

15 hours ago, connda said:

I was here in the 1980s.  It wasn't a "family resort", but it was very laid back.  I liked it.  Returned in 2000, didn't like it, left, never returned.  Not my cup of tea.

I seem to remember there being a lot of Germans here, many oil-field and Middle East workers and tourist 'families', even older couples, were quite rare.... and wide eyed! The girls were just making a living and offering great company. Very different place....

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:36 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

A golden opportunity wasted.

Sure, rip it all down and then build back to your specifications... not likely a profitable venture... places like Pattaya are built the way they are for profit... which is not a concern for you... 

On 5/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, 4MyEgo said:

It doesn't take much these days with technology to create fear, TV, media and some ugly looking dudes in suits who are in powerful positions, also wearing a mask, and having been vaccinated.

The light at the end of the tunnel are vaccines, and for those who take them, you will be rewarded and get your vaccine passports to travel and life will be back to normal.

We can then live happily ever after.

What you say is correct, vaccines will eventually allow movement and that in turn will slowly turn the clock back to better times.

However this has shown that Pattaya and other resorts just how dependent they were on international tourism, that means the local business is not enough to sustain them in bad times.. 

Have they learnt anything and changed the business model at all or are they just hanging on to the old style and hope for boom times again...

Time will tell.

• Like 2