Jump to content

Thai honorary consulates to stop issuing visas, COE and notarizing documents on 27 May


Recommended Posts

I went to the Adelaide Consulate today (17 May). The place is closed up and no information on any relocation. Ten days ago on the phone, no mention of closing, only yesterday I could not contact. Had a 2 hr trip to get there, seems that there are hurdles to even get to return to Thailand from Oz. It seems that this decision has been considered for a while, fair enough I suppose, if staff are committed to be there but twiddling their thumbs. Let’s hope Phuket sandbox gets up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Retdent said:

I went to the Adelaide Consulate today (17 May). The place is closed up and no information on any relocation. Ten days ago on the phone, no mention of closing, only yesterday I could not contact. Had a 2 hr trip to get there, seems that there are hurdles to even get to return to Thailand from Oz. It seems that this decision has been considered for a while, fair enough I suppose, if staff are committed to be there but twiddling their thumbs. Let’s hope Phuket sandbox gets up. 

They announced the closure of all honorary consulate effective May 28th on the 8th of April.

See: https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/announcement-of-the-royal-thai-embassy-in-canberra-on-cease-of-functions-of-honorary-consular-officers-regarding-visa-issuance-and-legalisation/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Royal Thai Consulate-General

Royal Thai Consulates-General are different from Honorary Consulates. In the U.S. there are three (New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles). All will continue to issue visas and provide all other consular services. 
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Alldar said:

I hope this is not true for all consulates. It would really complicate getting the visa.

 

So wait and see, the info. so far is sort of third hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

Thai Consulate in Dublin now shut and have referred all visas to Thai embassy London.

so if the e-visa rules state you must be a resident/citizen of the country you are applying from????????

 

Last time I looked Dublin is not in the UK....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

so if the e-visa rules state you must be a resident/citizen of the country you are applying from????????

The UK has been using the e visa site for almost 2 years now and people from Ireland have been able to use it to get visas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The will stop accepting visa application after that day but will still issue the visa after you apply online. The only change is that you have to submit the application online after paying the fee.

 

From looking at the evisa website it appears you submit your evisa application documents online and during that online process you also book an appt at the consulate to pickup the visa....is that how it will work?   

 

That is, after uploading docs a person must then physically go the consulate/embassy to get the visa stamp entered into your passport.  No more mailing in your passport for entry of the visa and the return mailing of your passport to you (I assuming that's how it worked before for some consulates/embassies versus needing to physically go to a Thai embassy/consulate).  Below snapshot from the evisa website.

 

image.png.4377ac6cc1fd215e4cf38844e17c84e7.png

 

 

image.png.def08c9627044f679e4abf535202a2cb.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pib said:

That is, after uploading docs a person must then physically go the consulate/embassy to get the visa stamp entered into your passport.  No more mailing in your passport for entry of the visa and the return mailing of your passport to you (I assuming that's how it worked before for some consulates/embassies versus needing to physically go to a Thai embassy/consulate). 

You can still mail in your passport with a printout of the accepted application at most embassies and official consulates.

At this time due to covid many are only doing them by mail.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ubonjoe said:

You can still mail in your passport with a  copy of the accepted application at most embassies and official consulates.

At this time due to covid many are only doing them by mail.

Well, let's hope so.   It just the evisa website doesn't seem to show the "via mail part"....just the "make an appt" at the consulate/embassy to collect the finalized visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, let's hope so.   It just the evisa website doesn't seem to show the "via mail part"....just the "make an appt" at the consulate/embassy to collect the finalized visa.

This from the embassy in DC website for a non-o visa application.

image.png.fdecca571c46c532a9ec0169520f45c3.png

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

 

The embassy in London has been accepting the passport and etc to be mailed in since they started using the e visa site in June of 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This from the embassy in DC website for a non-o visa application.

image.png.fdecca571c46c532a9ec0169520f45c3.png

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

 

The embassy in London has been accepting the passport and etc to be mailed in since they started using the e visa site in June of 2019.

 

At above website they say to use the evisa website first....then the embassy will send you an email to submit certain docs via mail--one of which is another application for a non-o visa as quoted below.

2.3 Visa application form (Download) (if the applicant does not have a valid visa to enter Thailand)

 

So, it's basically, submit for a non-o online and via mail (not either or, but must use both).   In a way it seems to make more/double work for the individual and the evisa submission portion seems to just do a preliminary check to see if you will qualify for the visa....if it appears you will qualify then the embassy/consulate will ask you to mail in an application along with docs.

 

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

I

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mayhem11 said:

E visa means just that. Apply on line. What is the drama!

You can't just drive there and get the visa on short notice anymore (now in Covid times of course not relevant, but also once Covid is under control it won't be possible again)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not all courtiers qualify for a visa exempt entry or a 15 day visa or arrival (cancelled until further notice).

Most countries do not get them. See: Visa-Exemption-Scheme-7-Dec.pdf

Courtiers?  Can you explain what that means for people applying for visas or entry, it doesn't really make sense.

 

Edit:  Ah...I think you mean countries, yes?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bangon04 said:

so if the e-visa rules state you must be a resident/citizen of the country you are applying from????????

 

Last time I looked Dublin is not in the UK....

I am a British citizen living in Ireland and previously submitted my visas to Thai Consulate Dublin now they will be submitted to Thai London Embassy. Looks like The Thai Embassy London will deal with Irish and UK citizens. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thank you. I would have mentioned if I knew.

Specific consulates I was referring to are in EU. Apparently the law governing this was passed a year back and now comes into effect.

 

UK is not EU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

I am a British citizen living in Ireland and previously submitted my visas to Thai Consulate Dublin now they will be submitted to Thai London Embassy. Looks like The Thai Embassy London will deal with Irish and UK citizens. 

They have been applied for online for over a year ago to the embassy in London. They stopped allowing the honorary consulates to issue visas then until they started allowing them to issue tourist visas.

The embassy website states this for visa applications.

"Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries) e.g. long stay visa, residence permit, BRP card"

London also issues the certificate of entry for those in Ireland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Letseng said:

UK is not EU.

I am aware of that. But given I wasn't talking about UK, what does that have to do with my post?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They have been applied for online for over a year ago to the embassy in London. They stopped allowing the honorary consulates to issue visas then until they started allowing them to issue tourist visas.

The embassy website states this for visa applications.

"Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland (if applicants are not nationals of these countries) e.g. long stay visa, residence permit, BRP card"

London also issues the certificate of entry for those in Ireland.

And confirmation of legal residence in UK, Ireland is by your passport showing In my case British Citizen? Is that correct Joe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same boat and am interested in this topic.  I also work in Iraq and when I have traveled to Thailand pre-COVID, I have always gotten my visa stamp upon arrival and when asked the purpose of my trip, it is to visit my wife and family.  I have never been challenged about coming in as a tourist.  Is this something new?  Last time I was in Thailand was January - 01 March 2020. 

 

If I were to apply for an e-visa, this "e-appointment requirement, do you physically have to go to the embassy In D.C.?  This is going to eat up even more time of vacation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PuaSai said:

I'm in the same boat and am interested in this topic.  I also work in Iraq and when I have traveled to Thailand pre-COVID, I have always gotten my visa stamp upon arrival and when asked the purpose of my trip, it is to visit my wife and family.  I have never been challenged about coming in as a tourist.  Is this something new?  Last time I was in Thailand was January - 01 March 2020. 

You can still enter to get a 45 (changed from 30 last year) day visa exempt entry. See: https://thaiembdc.org/visa_tourist_coe/

The e visa site is only for those that need a visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much ubonjoe for the information. 

 

I have one other question about this.  Would I be able to extend this one if I needed to like I did in 2020?  I have never applied for a regular O-Nonimmigrant visa yet due to my work situation, so right now I have no visa.

 

I appreciate your time. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PuaSai said:

Would I be able to extend this one if I needed to like I did in 2020? 

You can get the standard 30 day extension and/or a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...