Thailand reports first local cases of virus variant first found in India

webfact

4 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

No problem.

WHO just said that all vaccines are efficient against all variants... !

"All COVID-19 virus variants that have emerged so far do respond to the available, approved vaccines," Kluge said Hans Kluge (WHO Europe chief)

Source : https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-vaccine-effective-variants-overseas-travel-not-safe-who-14849520

So we are saved !

Ah wait... we do not have vaccine yet....

Yet the Sinovac vaccine is not one of those authorized as of yet and not approved by the WHO, only China has approved its use, and the WHO has only approved the Sinopharm vaccine not CoronaVac as of now.

"the World Health Organization's Europe director warned on Thursday (May 20), but stressed that authorised vaccines do work against variants of concern."

• Like 2

i am not surprised, it is very difficult to explain in simple words, a mutation of this virus is normal, it try to escape for vaccines ,i am not an antivaxxer, if you have time read The Lancet, it is now a problem for virologists and immunologists, look in the Seychelles, Bahrein etc.... they have between 47 and 69 % vaccinated and now they are again in mini lockdown, again infections, 

Covid Surges In 4 Of 5 Most Vaccinated Countries—Here’s Why The U.S. Should Worry (forbes.com)

This link is from 11 may 2021

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poskat said:

the likely government response will be to put more roadblocks in the way of importing and providing any vaccines other than the beloved sinovac and the regal vaccine

the profits and brown envelopes must flow....

It's quite unfortunate that the vaccine programs and new current surges, of the last couple of months, have been handled in the usual Thai political/profit deriving clusterphuck manner instead of an overall medical-based public health approach. Remember, that Thailand was among the top on the list [lowest cases/deaths] for a year as to how the society handled this mess. All of a sudden it's become an issue - the ever rising infection rates. Which should lead one to believe that practiced protocol became quite laxed and lazily approached........complicating the situation even more was/is the complete boondoggle patterns regarding the domestic vaccine roll-out, which could have easily been instigated a couple of months ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Denis said:

To understand immune escape, i.e. more contagious virus variants emerging as a result of mass-vaccination, visit the website of dr Geert vanden Bossche...

i know  i have good listen to the video conference ,they are also from France Prof Montagnier very interesting interview if you understand french i give you the link (351) Pr Montagnier : "C'est très simple Les variants viennent des vaccinations " - YouTube

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

i know  i have good listen to the video conference ,they are also from France Prof Montagnier very interesting interview if you understand french i give you the link (351) Pr Montagnier : "C'est très simple Les variants viennent des vaccinations " - YouTube

I now watch in expectation of how the people who don't understand that same phenomenon which also happens for antibiotics will start to say nonsense about this... despite the professor saying that "it's very simple" lol

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

There is a National holiday next week.  And another the following week.  The big 3 day holiday comes in July.

People are free to move as they please no restrictions, so will have to wait and see.

Well you know what our dear leader said last time, what happens - happens, nothing to do with me and my incompetent muppets - they're too busy covering their collective a r - es  to be too concerned. 

6 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

Lineage B.1.617, also known as G/452R.V3, is one of the known variants of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, the country has no responsibility.

No need to worry. Nobody is blaming India for it. The virus can mutate in any country such as they UK variant and many others.

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No need to worry. Nobody is blaming India for it. The virus can mutate in any country such as they UK variant and many others.

It's ok, the only thing that will mutate in Thailand is the political ineptitude..... the Hub of.... 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

It's quite unfortunate that the vaccine programs and new current surges, of the last couple of months, have been handled in the usual Thai political/profit deriving clusterphuck manner instead of an overall medical-based public health approach. Remember, that Thailand was among the top on the list [lowest cases/deaths] for a year as to how the society handled this mess. All of a sudden it's become an issue - the ever rising infection rates. Which should lead one to believe that practiced protocol became quite laxed and lazily approached........complicating the situation even more was/is the complete boondoggle patterns regarding the domestic vaccine roll-out, which could have easily been instigated a couple of months ago. 

All according to the golden plan.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow. It has arrived.  Let's be safe and ensure we isolate those locations where it was found.  Take care folks and be safe.  Looks like the ride has hit turbulence 

Now the country's "world class" covid response will be tested. 

I won't make light of this because it's actually ominous. 

The cheerleaders will be falling quiet soon. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

One should not make the mistake of assuming presence of the Indian variant means the COVID outbreak in the country will resemble that of India.

There are some country-specific factors at play in India: extreme crowding, and a public health system that is dysfunctional at the best of times.

Neither is true of Thailand in general, though there are some vulnerable sub-population to whom it applies (prisoners, migrants etc). 

The Indian variant is already in 44 countries and not wrecking the same degree of havoc in most of them that it is in India.

While it is true that the "Indian variant" is more infectious than the original viral strain it is not clear how much more infectious it is (if at all) than the so-called "UK strain" already prevalent here. Also not yet  clear if it is any more lethal.

Cases of the 'Indian variant' in the UK seem to doubling every 4-5 days. Surge testing and enhanced vaccination been done, good news is it seems to be held back by the vaccines as a lot of cases are in the 18-35 year old cohort, the unvaccinated ones. Still a variant if concern though and seems to be out competing the UK variant. Hopefully the Thai authorities will bear down on it quickly.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

There's also some speculation by authorities that China may be planting already mutated/engineered viruses in key countries they consider enemies. 

If a person believes it is possible they deliberately released this, then it's easy to follow that this might be a sustained attack. 

No responsible "authority" is speculating this.

The mutations being observed are absolutely normal behavior for a respiratory virus.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

There's also some speculation by authorities that China may be planting already mutated/engineered viruses in key countries they consider enemies. 

The same people said that young hot women want me for my heart and not my money. Fool me once....

• Like 1

Thong Lor outbreak spreads B.1.1.7. Lockdown? No. B.1.1.7 spreading around Thailand. Allow Songkran travel. Yes. Whatever will be will be. Now Indian variant. So Thailand has two of the most infectious strains of this virus. These fools running the show are completely out of their depth. Call me a 'doomsday sayer' you deniers if you will but I feel this is the beginning, neigh tis begun, of something very bad. The whole country needs to be locked down. I hate to say this because in their 'wisdom' they will ban booze but it's not in control now add the highly infectious Indian B.1.617 strain and things can rapidly get completely out of control. More than what it already is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Thong Lor outbreak spreads B.1.1.7. Lockdown? No. B.1.1.7 spreading around Thailand. Allow Songkran travel. Yes. Whatever will be will be. Now Indian variant. So Thailand has two of the most infectious strains of this virus. These fools running the show are completely out of their depth. Call me a 'doomsday sayer' you deniers if you will but I feel this is the beginning, neigh tis begun, of something very bad. The whole country needs to be locked down. I hate to say this because in their 'wisdom' they will ban booze but it's not in control now add the highly infectious Indian B.1.617 strain and things can rapidly get completely out of control. More than what it already is.

Sorry, but I call you a "doomsday sayer".  I'm not a Covid-denier, but vaccinations are the solution not locking-down which causes more long-term damage.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry, but I call you a "doomsday sayer".  I'm not a Covid-denier, but vaccinations are the solution not locking-down which cause more long-term damage.

Just where will the vaccine come from in a hurry, pray tell? Short of having enough vaccine, a lockdown will be inevitable. And very damaging, yes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Construction workers... read Burmese and Cambodian workers! I mean, the new variant didn't get to Thailand on 2 legs and these workers are most likely not subjected to 14 days quarantine when they cross the border... In the end it all comes down to the greed of the construction companies!

Precisely, with closed borders/14 day quarantine in place, how did this variant get in? Must have been lunchtime or raining at the checkpoints.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Precisely, with closed borders/14 day quarantine in place, how did this variant get in? Must have been lunchtime or raining at the checkpoints.

It came in a Bombay Oyster.