renting out a house for the first time

renting out a house for the first time

wife died, house is in child's name but we will move to a condo near school

is there a typical rental contract available here ?

any tips what to ask the future renter ?

can you ask to see a few months of pay slips to check solvability ?

2 months security deposit + 1 month rent, right ?

TV does not have section anymore to put a free ad ? Lazudi is only for professionals, right ?

thanks for your info

If you prefer westerners as tenants, check for local western facebook groups.such as "Bangkok Expats" in Bangkok.  As Peter suggested, FB marketplace has photo listings and is easy to use.

I'd suggest you do some research on this and other sites regarding Thai law as it applies to renting a residence: your rights as a landlord, tenants rights as renters.  Lease vs month by month.  How to deal with non-payment of rent or property damage.  The list of what you should know is long.

Location, location, location. I used to rent out my place, a 3 storey "villa" on a tourist island. Airbnb mostly. But if it's outside the tourist areas, that sort of platform might not work so well. But, it does allow you to set a whole load of parameters, house rules, etc etc. Minimum length of stay, what's in cluded, what isn't, variable rates etc etc. It worked for me, but YMMV..

Advertise on Facebook Marketplace which seems to have taken over as the primary source to list properties, vehicles and pretty much everything. You will be contacted by loads of people claiming to have a ‘renter’ for your property, these are agents ‘tyre kicking’.... (want to get a cut for doing little work). 

Always speak with the Renter directly. Ask for references of previous rentals. Follow up those references and contact the previous landlord (ask questions to double check the landlord is not ‘just a friend pretending’ etc).

Meet the person in person.

Take two months deposit and 1 month rent in advance (that could conform sufficient solvency).

Contract for late payment.

Take photographs of everything prior to the tenant moving in.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 9:23 AM, Justanotherone said:
is there a typical rental contract available here ?

any tips what to ask the future renter ?

The Thai Law Translation Civil and Commercial Code 'rent of property' is HERE.

A number of articles about renting our property can be found HERE.

Only things I would add is.......visit regularly........do it on the pretext you want to make sure the tenant is happy (keep them onside)............write into the lease who is allowed to reside there.........you don't want a single signing up and then find a family fifteen all pile in.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Sad 2

Over the years we have had some good tenants,Farangs no trouble,

Thai's nothing but trouble, it's a lot more than just collecting the rents,

you have to keep on top of it, especially making sure they pay the rent

on time, have them pay it into your bank account and have SMS that

tells you the money has been paid in,  good luck.

Put a ""for rent " sign on the gate , or use an agent,they take 1 months rent.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I would add is.......visit regularly...

I would not rent a place where the landlord just pitches up regularly to check up on me, or indeed ever calls.  if you rent on a contract then you must face the fact that you have given over your property to someone else to live it.  Its their home, don't interfere.  if you can't accept that, don't rent out the property.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I would not rent a place where the landlord just pitches up regularly to check up on me, or indeed ever calls.  if you rent on a contract then you must face the fact that you have given over your property to someone else to live it.  Its their home, don't interfere.  if you can't accept that, don't rent out the property.  

My letting agent does this for me every 12 weeks....... it is the rental contract.......if the the tenants don't like it they can rent somewhere else.........I have 5 properties since 2002 and they have never not rented for more than a couple weeks....never had a tenant complain.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I've let in the UK and here, and all ASTs in the UK have clauses allowing the landlord to inspect at certain intervals. You get tenants knocking holes in walls, burning kitchenware, carpets, bedding etc etc you're going to want them out ASAP. Also, 6 month break clauses are pretty much standard now. A real PITA for landlords especially if you've paid an agent. They won't refund part of the fee for the 6 months lost. Tenants can be a nightmare, as can be landlords, of course.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, Lacessit said:

You can draw up your own rental contract, and insert your own conditions e.g. no pets, no smoking inside the house, no drug use. Children and crayons are not a good combination.

When I was a landlord, I preferred meeting the tenants in person. I could usually tell what kind of tenant they would be by their dress, neat people usually kept the rental neat as well.

No hard and fast rules though, I had a tenant who I thought was trying for the world record in tattoos, and he kept my property spotless.

Make sure there's a clause in the rental agreement saying that the owner has the right to inspect the property at least once every 60 days (no. of days up to u) and additionally random visits with 2 hours notice.

And do the inspections, i've been burned before, inserted the clause but didn't do the inspections. 

If your renting through agent still include the inspections clause on the basis that the agent must do an inspection every xx days. But add a clause saying that in addition to agents inspections the owner will also inspect.

As above, I've been burned before, I wish I had been serious about inspections. 

If  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

Location, location, location. I used to rent out my place, a 3 storey "villa" on a tourist island.

Villa seems to be a word loosely used to describe a simple residence in  Thailand.

I recall looking at a "villa"  where I lived once in Thailand and it was absolutely just the  exact same as all the other houses in the Moban.   It just sounds better to call it a "villa" I think.

Where does your "villa" fit into this Webster dictionary definition?    

1 : a country estate

2 : the rural or suburban residence of a wealthy person
3 British : a detached or semidetached urban residence with yard and garden space

56 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Villa seems to be a word loosely used to describe a simple residence in  Thailand.

I recall looking at a "villa"  where I lived once in Thailand and it was absolutely just the  exact same as all the other houses in the Moban.   It just sounds better to call it a "villa" I think.

Where does your "villa" fit into this Webster dictionary definition?    

1 : a country estate

2 : the rural or suburban residence of a wealthy person
3 British : a detached or semidetached urban residence with yard and garden space

2 and 3, but not urban. They're talking the famous agent's speak of "suburban villa". And 2. Where do they get this sxxx from? But wait! I have what was sold to me as a "Thai style villa" which is probably even more meaningless. Anyway, it's 3 storeys, 3 baths, 3 beds on its own chanote land. House would describe it as well I guess. 

On 5/21/2021 at 4:23 PM, dddave said:

If you prefer westerners as tenants, check for local western facebook groups.such as "Bangkok Expats" in Bangkok.  As Peter suggested, FB marketplace has photo listings and is easy to use.

I'd suggest you do some research on this and other sites regarding Thai law as it applies to renting a residence: your rights as a landlord, tenants rights as renters.  Lease vs month by month.  How to deal with non-payment of rent or property damage.  The list of what you should know is long.

OP is not the owner  so if a legal problem ti is the owners problem  son daughter?

correct ?

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Make sure there's a clause in the rental agreement saying that the owner has the right to inspect the property at least once every 60 days (no. of days up to u) and additionally random visits with 2 hours notice.

And do the inspections, i've been burned before, inserted the clause but didn't do the inspections. 

If your renting through agent still include the inspections clause on the basis that the agent must do an inspection every xx days. But add a clause saying that in addition to agents inspections the owner will also inspect.

As above, I've been burned before, I wish I had been serious about inspections. 

If  

Good idea - As an honest tenant for the past 10 years, I would have gladly welcomed this. Our Thai landlord doesn’t give a flying one, his waterpump is f’d because no one maintained it - everything that needs doing costs and is never done until it’s broken. We are moving out now, so don’t care.

If a tenant won’t play ball with a 6 month inspection - then don’t bother with them.

Edited by recom273
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would get a Thai friend or family member to act as the landlord on your behalf and give them a few thousand baht. I suspect that many Thais, knowing that you're a foreigner, would be more likely to try and pull a fast one.

Also, BahtSold.com is another great place to advertise the property, doesn't cost anything.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I understand you but that coin then has two sides , the renters that would not want the landlord to show up because then it's their home also shouldn't call if something is broken and need to fix it themselfs at their own costs. And you are renting it out you didn't sell it so technically it's not theirs . But i do know what you mean , it's just difficult because those renters will always call you when something is broken .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Get a Written agreement that you will get your security deposit back within a week of moving out !

No if's ands or buts about it

And what about if there is damage ?? You should be a bit more clear . I geuss you mean if everything is left spotless . If you didn't mean that then how can someone demand their deposit back ?

14 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I understand you but that coin then has two sides , the renters that would not want the landlord to show up because then it's their home also shouldn't call if something is broken and need to fix it themselfs at their own costs. And you are renting it out you didn't sell it so technically it's not theirs . But i do know what you mean , it's just difficult because those renters will always call you when something is broken .

I agree. A lot of that can be sorted by taking proper references and researching the people you are renting to.  But let's face it, renting is fraught with potential problems. I did it once with a property I owned in the UK,  but never again. 

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I agree. A lot of that can be sorted by taking proper references and researching the people you are renting to.  But let's face it, renting is fraught with potential problems. I did it once with a property I owned in the UK,  but never again. 

It is , better buy now at low price find something nice and wait it out and sell with a profit . The profit might be bigger then what you can get from the rent in a few years . I believe buyers will come back .

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

And what about if there is damage ?? You should be a bit more clear . I geuss you mean if everything is left spotless . If you didn't mean that then how can someone demand their deposit back ?

Sorry ,buddy I thought that was understood ,example if a renter destroys something they have to pay for it. That would be in the agreement ! "If everything is satisfactory",would be the wording in the agreement !

Just a side note !

I gave 10k bht as a security deposit ! The landlord thought she had a month to pay it back if everything was satisfactory upon my leaving!

It doesn't take a month to inspect the premises !  

Eventually she stiffed me and said she didn't have the money and kept on blowing my GF off . It was to the point my GF was loosing face and felt put off. After months and months of this dance she  didn't want to ask for it anymore ! It was later learned the landlord was going through some financial difficulties and a divorce !

Edited by riclag

11 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Which highlights another possible clause in the rental agreement.

I always added a clause 'the lessee is responsible to promptly fix any small issues/breakages and pay for same, and submit the documents with photos to the owner for prompt reimbursement. However reimbursement cannot be gained by reducing rental payments.

One renter (UK guy UK wife) did this several times but the reality is that the husband or the wife also called first and I quickly agreed to go ahead because every item was positive in terms of keeping the property in good working order and good appearance. 

Every time a renter did this I agreed that it was a valid expense and transferred the reimbursement to the renter within  a couple of hours, no later then 24 hrs. to maintain a good relationship.

I also acted quickly when a renter announced they would be moving out, to get a clear picture of rent paid/due and gain some agreement in regard to any known or expected utility bills and to do an inspection of the property, either myself or if I was o/s Thailand on a project my Thai adult son did the inspection promptly.

If the tenant agreed to estimated utility bills I refunded the security deposit within 3 or 4 days of moving out, after a second prompt inspection when the tenant had actually moved out.

10 hours ago, riclag said:

Sorry ,buddy I thought that was understood ,example if a renter destroys something they have to pay for it. That would be in the agreement ! "If everything is satisfactory",would be the wording in the agreement !

Just a side note !

I gave 10k bht as a security deposit ! The landlord thought she had a month to pay it back if everything was satisfactory upon my leaving!

It doesn't take a month to inspect the premises !  

Eventually she stiffed me and said she didn't have the money and kept on blowing my GF off . It was to the point my GF was loosing face and felt put off. After months and months of this dance she  didn't want to ask for it anymore ! It was later learned the landlord was going through some financial difficulties and a divorce !

Ok your in your right in this one should have gotten it back , and yes shouldn't take a month . Didn't the landlady offer to bloe you of few times for that 10.000 ???????? could have made the loss less bad(just kiddin get your point)