Thailand reports 3,382 new COVID-19 cases, 17 more deaths

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

According to the OP the CCSA is updating the public about the South African strain found. Hopefully its just a few cases and they can ring fence the area until they do a complete surge test to ensure there are no more.

The important thing is to keep this contained asap.

I agree the mRNA vaccines are far more effective in dealing with this strain

The mNRA vaccines are less effective against the South African variant, but still hold quite well.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3132905/pfizer-vaccine-stands-well-against-covid-19-variants-qatar-study

No Pfizer in Thailand ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Gosh. It only means that if we are silly enough to believe the earlier numbers (or current ones, for that matter) are reasonably accurate. 

Thailand did not have measurable excess deaths in earlier periods so it's highly unlikely that earlier numbers were underestimates to any significant degree.

http://www.healthdata.org/special-analysis/estimation-excess-mortality-due-covid-19-and-scalars-reported-covid-19-deaths

• Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Coronavirus: Sinovac vaccine gives 70 per cent less protection against South African variant, but Hongkongers urged to still get jab

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3130355/coronavirus-sinovac-vaccine-gives-70-cent-less

As I read it, that report and the small study the results are based on are all dealing with antibody levels, and I saw no mention whatsoever about what any of that meant in terms of hospitalizations or deaths.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As I read it, that report and the small study the results are based on are all dealing with antibody levels, and I saw no mention whatsoever about what any of that meant in terms of hospitalizations or deaths.

We are limited by the scientific evidence as this is so new however as with the link I provided for the AZ studies and the study on Sinovac its enough to raise concerns and certainly enough concerns to keep this strain contained as quickly as possible.

I thought that was the whole point?

The UK strain is enough to deal with for now without having to worry about others

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smedly said:

last year they stopped reporting deaths caused by viral pneumonia

They still report the deaths, they just don't report the cause. That's the point of measuring the impact via excess deaths, to count all excess deaths even when the cause was not reported as COVID-19.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

also recorded deaths in Thailand stayed pretty much level even though road deaths plummeted because nobody was travelling due to the complete lockdown - something just didn't quite add up

That's a good point, others would be deaths from other contagious diseases prevented by the lockdown, prevented alcohol-related deaths other than driving, you'd need some figures to back it up though.

5 minutes ago, wprime said:

That's a good point, others would be deaths from other contagious diseases prevented by the lockdown, prevented alcohol-related deaths other than driving, you'd need some figures to back it up though.

possibly and a reasonable point

According to Phuket deputy governor, the province needs a proactive approach if it is to achieve its vaccination target and local leaders such as tambon chiefs and village heads will make door-to-door visits to urge the people to get vaccinated

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1396305904237268994

9 minutes ago, anchadian said:

According to Phuket deputy governor, the province needs a proactive approach if it is to achieve its vaccination target and local leaders such as tambon chiefs and village heads will make door-to-door visits to urge the people to get vaccinated

This governer is so cute bless him

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, wprime said:

Thailand did not have measurable excess deaths in earlier periods so it's highly unlikely that earlier numbers were underestimates to any significant degree.

http://www.healthdata.org/special-analysis/estimation-excess-mortality-due-covid-19-and-scalars-reported-covid-19-deaths

Was there data about excess mortality in Thailand in your linked article?  I was curious because of many posts here claiming big numbers of excess mortality in Thailand over the last year. 

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

This needs more than 2 weeks now, I think 4 weeks would be minimum in Bangkok. New peak today despite the predictions of some that this was all over, very sad situation

1 hour ago, smedly said:

maybe they just locked them in and threw away the key dropping food parcels over the wall, not much point in testing them since they are likely all infected - no test no data

1 hour ago, smedly said:

maybe they just locked them in and threw away the key dropping food parcels over the wall, not much point in testing them since they are likely all infected - no test no data

why not, they are already isolated, i hope. keep them inside . But not seen any numbers of prisoners dying from Covid yet 

Health officials in the Narathiwat province report they have detected the #COVID19 variant B.1.351, aka the “South Africa variant”, among 81 cases. First case had contact with people illegally crossing from Malaysia and tested positive on May 4. 16 of them have recovered.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1396325109741219844

Let's hope deaths are decreasing instead of:

Health Minister/ Deputy PM: Er - Well my Masters, we have 17 deaths on the books but we still have to add the other 42. 

Junta leader: Ah hem!. Did you not look at the clock? All those other deaths are 2 seconds later than the cut off. And any of the matter, 8 of those passed away due to their family (not us) stepping on the air tubes. Doesn't count.

African variant. Now it is getting interesting.

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Was there data about excess mortality in Thailand in your linked article?  I was curious because of many posts here claiming big numbers of excess mortality in Thailand over the last year. 

Just in Figure 5.

Edited by wprime

A recent Suan Dusit poll asked people for their confidence in #COVID19 vaccine: 1. Pfizer 75.11% 2. Moderna 72.14% 3. Johnson & Johnson 68.52% 4. AstraZeneca 65.89% 5. Sputnik V 61.89% * Sinovac didn't make it in the top five (Credit:

@ThaiPressCo) #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1396330181401395202

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Oddly enough I thought this thread would be about today's questionable numbers and not about vaccine efficacy.

I think it got sidetracked due to the news that the South African variant is now here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

This needs more than 2 weeks now, I think 4 weeks would be minimum in Bangkok. New peak today despite the predictions of some that this was all over, very sad situation

4 weeks ?

That's way too short. 6 months should be more... secure.

By the way, why nobody talk about the real information in those daily summary ?

42,955 are still being treated in hospitals, including 1,216 severe cases, of whom 409 are on ventilators.

Source : https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-records-3052-new-covid-19-infections-and-24-more-deaths-on-saturday/

It allows to evaluate the "risk" of Covid and all its terrible variants (since we know we have the indian, the english and even the south-african...).

The number of new "cases" is pointless because most of them are not sick. No symptoms.

It's absurd to say "42 955 infected are treated in hospital"... If only 1 216 are severe, AKA really sick.

What care do receive those 41 739 patients, infected but no really sick ?

A pill of paracetamol, every morning ?

We all know the answer : they just wait... for the quarantine to end.

My point : those big numbers achieve only one thing : increase the fear.

It's the core of the Covid drama : we compute people who are declared "infected".... but who are not sick. The infamous "asymptomatic cases".

Edited by cclub75
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The news comes as scientists in Thailand on Saturday (May 22) claimed they had detected the first local cases of the coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa.

Nice to hear (if they tell) from what days test they have find this variant! How many days its already spread before they find it! It takes many days work in laboratory to discover variant! Ok have said in other news that have find from last saturdays sample.

Edited by 2 is 1

15 minutes ago, anchadian said:

A recent Suan Dusit poll asked people for their confidence in #COVID19 vaccine: 1. Pfizer 75.11% 2. Moderna 72.14% 3. Johnson & Johnson 68.52% 4. AstraZeneca 65.89% 5. Sputnik V 61.89% * Sinovac didn't make it in the top five (Credit:

@ThaiPressCo) #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1396330181401395202

Is that a poll involving expats only or the ordinary Thais? I highly doubt the average Thai even knows that the J&J and Moderna vaccines even exist.

Here is a similar study in Philippines among the ordinary folks:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/filipinos-vaccination-against-coronavirus-pulse-asia-survey-march-2021

Moderna scores only 1%....is that because they think it is bad and ineffective? Much more likely they've never heard about it.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1

The COVID-19 Network Investigations Group has found the B.1.351 COVID-19 variant, commonly known as the South African strain, in samples which the Public Health Ministry collected from people in an infection cluster in Tak Bai district on May 13th.

The group said the strain contains spike mutations that may impact human immune response to the virus and reduce the effectiveness of vaccines. However, this does not mean that vaccines are ineffective in preventing infections.

Thailand detected the South African variant on Feb 15th in a man who had travelled from Tanzania and who was placed into mandatory quarantine upon arrival.

May be an image of text that says "SIEN NBT WORLD 11 South African Strain of COVID 19 Found in Narathiwat Province"

More:

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158034229022050

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Oddly enough I thought this thread would be about today's questionable numbers and not about vaccine efficacy.

Tend to agree there, although its mentioned in the OP there is a separate thread on the significance of the South African strain running here:

In Thailand, the variant was identified in three test samples from a cluster of infections that could be linked to illegal migration in the south of the country, the COVID-19 Network Investigations Alliance said in a report.

“The variant may impact human immunity response from the virus and reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine,” said the alliance, which conducts genomics surveillance and research and has worked closely with the government during the pandemic.

“This does not mean that the vaccines do not work but there must be an increase in the ratio of population receiving the vaccine,” the report said.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218054-thailand-finds-first-local-cases-of-south-african-covid-19-variant-scientists-say/?tab=comments#comment-16500604