Thailand to tighten border controls after detecting South African COVID-19 variant

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai border controls will tighten after the discovery of three local cases of the South African COVID-19 variant stemming from illegal border crossings, authorities said on Sunday, as the country grapples to contain its worst coronavirus outbreak yet.

Ohhhh those leaky borders... trying to plug a hole that's been widened over the decades is not going to be easy.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

After the numerous times we have heard 'border controls will tighten', there must by now be enough police and military to be able to lay them head-to-toe to seal the border.

Until of course, one or fifty of them simultaneously have a 'micro-sleep', allowing in more illegal immigrants.

'increase manpower'  - is that without recruiting new staff?

To my mind that must mean they have thousands already being paid to do nothing, if they can manage to transfer them with apparently no knock-on effects.

You mean the paid by big construction companies 'micro-sleeps' they take . 

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

The headline screams - 'Thailand to tighten border controls after detecting South African COVID-19 variant'

You would think that after the returning prostitutes saga last year, the saga of 'unwanted' immigrants from Myanmar and Laos, etc., and the current surge of Covid  from the Songkran free-for-all, that all border controls have been and presumably are, tightened already.

Would you not?

Unwanted ? Illegal immigrants is more the truth . Tightening borders of course is possible but in reality futile . Coupled with financial gain from border authorities and Thai companies the corona virus will continue to be imported.

18 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Trump for prime minister ???? we would have had a wall their instead of paid by construction companies soldiers . 

Well perhaps we would have had had a Wall's Cornetto.

Edited by bluesofa

I believe it's time to do more... spraying.

At the borders. Forest, trees, plants, ground...

To kill the virus.

More seriously... there is a "weak spot" in all the borders saga.... The ASQ system (controled quarantine for any people coming by air travel).

If the Covid situation within Thailand is getting out of hand (from a thai point of view)... don't you think politicians would not make the calculus :

-few people concerned

-most of them foreigners

-so big political and face gain to put this system on hold

We saw this temptation... when they lowered the quarantine duration from 14 days to 10 days... before to put it back very quickly at 14 days because of the new "wave" !

Let's not forget : this system was created (last year) when Thailand had very few cases... Today the situation is totally different. The fear is greater...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

That is nothing compared to my town near Nakhon Si Thamarrat. There is a medium sized Tesco Store that found 4 infected staff working in our store here. They did nothing for 2 weeks and then suddenly they forced the store closed and set up testing in the parking lot for staff and some customers. Tesco said they would be closed for 2 days for testing. What about cleaning, are they cleaning inside? We had been in the store during the first days of discovery and went to get tested. They told us they are full now, assuming no more tests available. We asked when we can come back to test, they said "I don't know", very useless and frustrating. They told us to go home and quarantine, so I can assume  you can't get tested here unless you are dying. We told the health official there my wife had a fever, but not good enough, they said go home and quarantine. I would probably die before they did anything. Hate this <deleted> government, never do anything until it is too late and you are dead.

Stop spreading the truth of  how it's  brushed under the carpet and always  has been along with almost everything else unless they need to "show" and example of how well they do in everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

The borders are closed already.

I honestly don't know whether the PM is more scared of Myanmars, Malaysians, Laoses, Cambodians or Farangs. The problem with having an army general for PM is that his brain is trained to think that all foreigners are dangerous.  

They are referring to illegal crossings which is next to impossible to stop. Land crossings are always full of holes.

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Border force will claim total success in closing the South African border tomorrow ???? 

They need to enforce a 5 Klm radius trave zone for the population. 

Except essential services & work related travel.

It worked in Australia 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai border controls will tighten after the discovery of three local cases of the South African COVID-19 variant stemming from illegal border crossings, authorities said on Sunday, as the country grapples to contain its worst coronavirus outbreak yet.

The correct words are 'be considered', not 'tighten'.