Locals left flummoxed by confusing new road layout

webfact

It confused me when I first arrived here and spent 20 minutes of almost any journey going in the opposite direction to that which I needed to go ..all because they dislike roundabouts, or leave an intersection closed for 6 months with a roll-able steel fence for no apparent reason.

Turn right and go where?.......Can't see where that road will go from there....???

It seems to be two pictures, side by side, like before and after shots. This is why the roads look like they don't go anywhere.

• Like 1

flummoxed, Gosh I haven't heard that word in a while........... Roundabouts and Thai's they just don't seem to be able to work out the small one in my Moo Barn,  I just wonder how they would go on the multi ones in the UK--this is just a 6 one , 5 outer roundabouts and the main inner one, the inner one always going in the opposite direction to the outer ones.......they come larger then that on some of the busier junctions.

Flummoxed...yer that would be the word for these in Thailand.

This insane giant traffic roundabout in England will make your head spin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Gosh, what an improvement, especially that nice area for the food carts to park...   ????

image.png.1ea7ee237cf33cdc2568bc00a9a2b5c5.png

trouble with a Roundabout, is that in LOS; any vehicles in the lower leg trying to Turn Right, are totally ignore by all those going straight thru from Left to Right...

it's as if the lower 'leg' does not exist!!  (in their mindset) 

image.png.ba70c7d85e062a03a5d5874c3678a80c.png 

People are getting fined for not wearing a mask outside as they try to limit the spread of covid and related deaths, yet they seem more than happy to continuously lay down death traps in the repsect of the road layout and inadequate driver training.

800 deaths from covid in the last 2 years.

Average yearly deaths on the road 20,000.

Imagine the strain that would be lifted if road accidents were reduced to a number so for eg found in any developed country in the world.

In fact what it would see is that the hospital infrastructure is heavily subsidized by road users and an increase in safety could potentially have negative conatations for the local economy.

Build it and they will come is potentially a worrysome mantra.

In the right hand picture there is a pickup truck going the wrong direction in the lane.  At least according to the arrow right in front of it.

On both sides of the photos it appears traffic coming in from the right side is only supposed to make a left hand turn.  There is no lane for traffic to go straight through in that direction.  Yet in both photos they are.

Edited by rwill

4 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

It confused me when I first arrived here and spent 20 minutes of almost any journey going in the opposite direction to that which I needed to go ..all because they dislike roundabouts, or leave an intersection closed for 6 months with a roll-able steel fence for no apparent reason.

It took me a while to realize that those fences are erected because too many people were injured at that U-turn. They are the equivalent of closed doors locking an empty elevator shaft.

Virtually all U-turns here are death traps.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The video went: "Please explain - if you're going right, what do you do??!!"

Hold your amulet in one hand and your jacobs in the other and pray by the look of things.

Edited by hotchilli

5 hours ago, Robin said:

They said they had done it according to the plans.

Good to know that they did have a plan, unlike most road improvements I have seen

yeah, Somchai#1 on the left had his copy the correct way up, whereas Somchai#2, having had some "refreshments" the night before, had his copy up side down.

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Answer - Get in the far left hand lane and then at the very last moment cut across to the right and hope everyone else gets out of your way...

I know it was 50+ years ago but I was a NSW driver where if you wanted to turn right you moved to the right hand lane. But not in Victoria, you moved to the left hand lane when you wanted to turn right and wait until it was clear to do so. Thankfully they caught up with the real world after a few years.

Coming from the worst drivers in the world who don't  even  know what a  red  stop sign means, what a  roundabout is or  how to use it, what indicators or tail lights are for.........I am not even the slightest bit  surprised.

13 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Hold your amulet in one hand and your jacobs in the other and pray by the look of things.

8 hours ago, riparian said:

But what about my phone?

Priorities man, priorities, you can replace a phone.????

• Like 1