Thailand reports 3,226 COVID-19 cases, 26 more deaths

webfact

31 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Opinion: The government is fumbling its vaccine deadlines as badly as its excuses

First it was the suggestion to extract an extra two doses out of each AstraZeneca bottle, then comes the delay of the second jab from 10 to 16 weeks.

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, the Ministry of Public Health’s permanent secretary, said on Monday that the delay of the second dose to 16 weeks is meant to increase efficacy, and comes recommended and backed up by research.

More:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27898/the-government-is-fumbling-its-vaccine-deadlines-as-badly-as-its-excuses/

Regarding the AZ vaccine:

--the WHO's current recommendation for dose intervals is 8 to 12 weeks, with research showing the longer 12 week interval is more effective than a 6 week interval.

--The UK is at 8-9 weeks or 11-12 week intervals depending on the population being given the doses.

--The European Medicines Agency guideline is a maximum of 12 weeks, though Spain has gone to 16 weeks for people under age 60. I believe British Columbia also has gone to 16 weeks, but in both of those two instances, it was done to speed vaccine administration.

But I didn't find anything substantial advocating for a 16 week interval time.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/astrazeneca-vaccine-3-month-dosage-interval-might-be-preferable#Transmission-reduction?

"12-week interval

In their exploratory analyses, they also determined that a second dose after 12 weeks might be more helpful than a second dose after 6 weeks.

“Programs aimed at vaccinating a large proportion of the population with a single dose, with a second dose given after a 3-month period, might be an effective strategy for reducing disease and might have advantages over a program with a short prime-boost interval for roll-out of a pandemic vaccine when supplies are scarce in the short term,” the researchers write.

The 12-week interval was 81% effective, compared with 55% for the 6-week interval. The researchers also found that a single dose of the vaccine was 76% effective 3–12 weeks after the shot was administered."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

Nothing is fading away the numbers are stable because of a lockdown. Probably will be in lockdown until there are enough people vaccinated. So far the numbers have ben going up not down not sure why you think its over or will be over.

Also there is reason to mistrust the government we see new hot spots all the times but these hot spots don't seem to be counted in those provinces. So the numbers are not to be trusted. now a new 500 in Nonthaburi. Keep watching the numbers in Nonthaburi and check. I havent seen specification per province for a while. Probably because stuff like Petchabun and other hots spots might not register there. Then people know something is off. 

Please give some examples of numbers reported in the provinces that are not included in the national reports.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Thai government oftentimes can be pretty obscure in providing the info that people really want and need to know... but other times, they can be a real fountain of trivia.

In today's MoPH update, they coughed up graphs showing that Bangkok has, by their count, 409 different construction worker camp sites and another 468 market sites of various types. So plenty of opportunities still out there for more COVID outbreaks.

This is a military govt the leader of which recieved zero votes from the entire population of Thailand in a farcical election and who have the power over decemenation of information and will stay in power at any cost. They are in trouble and they know it. I don't believe any figures that have come out with from the very beginning. 

• Like 1

The Cabinet on Tuesday decided to extend the emergency decree by another two months until the end of July in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19, said Anucha Burapachaisri, Office of the Prime Minister spokesman.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Please give some examples of numbers reported in the provinces that are not included in the national reports.

I stand corrected about Nothaburi, its just you often see cases reported in the media in higher numbers then on province totals. They are either fumbling with release dates and so on. It makes things clear as mud. (probably their intended outcome)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I highly doubt that. We have made a rough plan that our school will be online untilt the end of June at least. With 2000-3000 cases a day for the last few weeks, it's going to take some time to bring those numbers down - that means testing and treating/vaccinating all those in high risk areas - worker camps, large factories, vendors, etc. There are a LOT of worker camps in Bkk, so its going to take time to deal with them. 

I fear you may be right, although the email we received yesterday says they still plan to re-open on 14 June (term finishes on 2 July anyway!).

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Wow! Been what 15 months since this has been going and you say testing isn't super helpful and niether is quarantine. You don't do these things and then you get to the point where it's out of control. Small fires are easier to put out than large ones.

I said mass testing isn't super helpful, as shown in the US and UK before they got the vaccine. Retroactive quarantine isn't particularly useful either, as by the time someone has been tested and quarantined, they've infected others already.

The level of testing performed now seems to be adequate, as evidenced by the last 15 months. Not perfect, but not woefully inadequate. Time and time again people said the numbers were way way higher than reported, and we haven't really seen evidence of this, covid deaths seemed roughly inline with what you would expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

Logic fail. 

We have a lockdown  and therefore interactions and cases remain ‘manageable’. Conclusion : well, things are manageable, so we should obviously stop the lockdown.

What could possibly go wrong ?

The lockdown is illogical in my opinion.  Shopping malls, restaurants, workplaces and public transport are not locked down, yet schools, bars and parks are.  Personally I would rather see a stronger lockdown in the specific areas that have had major outbreaks, like they did in Samut Sakhon in January.  Locking down all schools and all parks in Bangkok is causing more damage than good (in my opinion).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The lockdown is illogical in my opinion.  Shopping malls, restaurants, workplaces and public transport are not locked down, yet schools, bars and parks are.  Personally I would rather see a stronger lockdown in the specific areas that have had major outbreaks, like they did in Samut Sakhon in January.  Locking down all schools and all parks in Bangkok is causing more damage than good (in my opinion).

Agree.  Take the parks, open air, space, exercise or whatever.

They shouldn't have locked down the parks.  Where would there be more infections, malls or the parks.  I think we know the correct answer to that one.

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Personally I would rather see a stronger lockdown in the specific areas that have had major outbreaks, like they did in Samut Sakhon in January.  Locking down all schools and all parks in Bangkok is causing more damage than good (in my opinion).

Finally some reason.

If they had locked down Bangkok as they did Samut Sakhon when they discovered the UK variant in early April then this situation would never have been this bad. I remember however that you were one of those who was adamant that travel at Songkran should still go ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

So the numbers are not to be trusted. now a new 500 in Nonthaburi. Keep watching the numbers in Nonthaburi and check. I havent seen specification per province for a while. Probably because stuff like Petchabun and other hots spots might not register there. Then people know something is off. 

The individual province numbers are posted here every day, and today's version of that (already posted above) includes the 500+ cases from Nonthaburi, just as the prior several days counted the accumulated total of cases from the Phetchaburi factory outbreak.  The numbers are there, if you choose to find and recognize them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The individual province numbers are posted here every day, and today's version of that (already posted above) includes the 500+ cases from Nonthaburi, just as the prior several days counted the accumulated total of cases from the Phetchaburi factory outbreak.  The numbers are there, if you choose to find and recognize them.

I saw the nonthaburi numbers and said i was wrong. Did not see them for a while but just as i posted your numbers came past. So its clear.

• Like 1

Communities in Bangkok’s Laksi area inoculated as 1,284 workers there have COVID-19

People in seven communities near construction sites in Bangkok’s Laksi district are being inoculated against COVID-19, as more infections have been found at Italian-Thai Development worker housing, bringing total infected construction workers in the area to 1,284.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has organised inoculations for the residents in adjacent communities, from today until this Saturday, with 4,500 doses being administered, as many infections have been found in construction sites, especially the Indian variant, or B.1.617.2. 

The people being inoculated have already tested negative for the virus.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/communities-in-bangkoks-laksi-area-inoculated-as-1284-workers-there-have-covid-19/

Thailand will authorize the Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use on May 28, Anutin said Tuesday. Pfizer is to be approved next, with 20 million doses coming in the second half of 2021... - 1/2 #วัคซีนโควิด #WhatsHappeningInThailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1397111923951366144

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Opinion: The government is fumbling its vaccine deadlines as badly as its excuses

First it was the suggestion to extract an extra two doses out of each AstraZeneca bottle, then comes the delay of the second jab from 10 to 16 weeks.

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, the Ministry of Public Health’s permanent secretary, said on Monday that the delay of the second dose to 16 weeks is meant to increase efficacy, and comes recommended and backed up by research.

More:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27898/the-government-is-fumbling-its-vaccine-deadlines-as-badly-as-its-excuses/

You can not make this feces up.  If you told them the moon was made of Somtam, the rocket would be launched next week....ugh.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Communities in Bangkok’s Laksi area inoculated as 1,284 workers there have COVID-19

People in seven communities near construction sites in Bangkok’s Laksi district are being inoculated against COVID-19, as more infections have been found at Italian-Thai Development worker housing, bringing total infected construction workers in the area to 1,284.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has organised inoculations for the residents in adjacent communities, from today until this Saturday, with 4,500 doses being administered, as many infections have been found in construction sites, especially the Indian variant, or B.1.617.2. 

The people being inoculated have already tested negative for the virus.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/communities-in-bangkoks-laksi-area-inoculated-as-1284-workers-there-have-covid-19/

Classic vague language.

are the 1284 infected workers all at the Thai-Italian housing, or are the infections spread around the 7 sites? Were these infections all discovered today?

Edited by Danderman123

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand will authorize the Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use on May 28, Anutin said Tuesday. Pfizer is to be approved next, with 20 million doses coming in the second half of 2021... - 1/2 #วัคซีนโควิด #WhatsHappeningInThailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1397111923951366144

AstraZeneca is under contract to deliver 6-10 million doses per month from June, the health minister said. AZ said on April 28 that the first bacth of the locally made vaccine will be ready for delivery in June. 2/2 #วัคซีนโควิด #WhatsHappeningInThailand

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

So let me understand this...Covid is essentially only present in workers camps, prisons and factories? As per last year the virus knows very well not to slip outside of designated areas?

It would seem that in any area other than the above mentioned places there is pretty much no Covid? No one catches it from transport, ATM,s, 7-11s? No Thai foremen or other workers who don’t live in the camps or factories are able to catch it from those on the shop floor?

So the virus essentially jumps from camp to camp or prison to prison of factory to factory without affecting anyone else in between? Goodness me what a well behaved virus this is when it’s on Thailand.

Have I understood that correctly?

COVID is present in areas all over Bangkok, but in small concentrations outside of the labor camps and construction camps, and some slums. There is a map of Bangkok showing positivity rates posted here in this topic. Mostly 1% or so outside of the hotspots.

Thailand’s Olympic athletes will receive their Covid-19 jabs from Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital staff before catching their flight to Tokyo for the July 23-August 8 Games

The operation to vaccinate Thailand’s Olympians will run outside hospital, with Samitivej Srinakarin staff assigned to administer the jabs at a date still to be finalised.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001279

Edited by anchadian

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

COVID is present in areas all over Bangkok, but in small concentrations outside of the labor camps and construction camps, and some slums. There is a map of Bangkok showing positivity rates posted here in this topic. Mostly 1% or so outside of the hotspots.

Mostly 1% according to the map? Time to catch up on your maths lesson again

Screenshot_10.jpg.2bb380f6e2e6bb698bb122c78130933a.jpgScreenshot_11.jpg.bdd9fa1766c917b6e2770c527f972e52.jpg

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Could you show me a link to the 1% because i read mostly 5-10% in many area's of BKK in news articles. So i am curious where you get your  1% from love to see that as the 5-10% have been mentioned before in newspapers but never seen the 1%

The third wave of the Covid-19 outbreak is the most severe and worrisome, especially in financial terms, because many businesses have been forced to close again

Though the original strain of SARS-CoV-2 came to Thailand from Wuhan, China in January last year, the UK variant of the virus, which is 1.7 times more contagious and deadlier, sparked the third wave in April. It was found to have infected many patrons of entertainment venues in Bangkok’s Thong Lor area.

The different Covid-19 variants attacking Thailand

https://nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001283

• Like 1

Let me provide some numbers for the Doomsayers:

There are about 12 million people in the Bangkok area. Let’s call it 10 million to eliminate those inoculated or previously infected.

Let’s examine the impact of a city wide 10% positivity rate, that’s a million infected, right now.

With 10% of the infected being symptomatic, that’s 100,000 people needing a hospital bed right now, not a field hospital bed, but a real hospital bed.

With a 1% case fatality rate, that’s 10,000 deaths within the next 21 days.

Obviously, the real numbers aren’t close to that, so the City positivity rate is not anywhere near 10%.