Reminder: Alcohol sales banned in Thailand today

webfact

30 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If so called Thai Buddhists followed Buddhist precepts, there would be no need for such a law.

How about the other 3 points? 

#1,  #2 and #4 are covered by laws, not sure on #3, has anyone been arrested and thrown in jail for having a mia noi ?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

I was somewhat puzzled about the total silence around the temple this morning on this important Buddhist holiday.

Asked my wife whether something will take place: nothing.

Same here Wat in complete silence

5 hours ago, WineOh said:

Doesn't matter.

Fridge is stocked full and I plan on cracking open a can right after breakfast.

cheers!

On 5/14/2021 at 6:09 AM, shdmn said:

Unless Thailand can get it through COVAX.  Australia doesn't really qualify for COVAX.  Also, I'm sure for the right price Thailand can get it sooner.  I doubt they would be willing to pay it though.

Hence the name?

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

My point is that we are not children. Neither are many of us Buddhists. Banning things in the name of one particular religion is not really an intelligent way to run a country in the 21st century.

The running of the bulls in Pamplona also happens every year. Just because something happens every year doesn't make it correct. That's incredibly simplistic thinking.

Ever heard of when in Rome.

I hate to see Thai bashing farang here criticizing the local culture, claiming that they are somehow morally superior. Bloody pathetic actually. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yet to see a Ma and Pa stores stop selling alcohol during these 'prohibition' periods 

That's why I support them, even when the likes of 7/11 and supermarkets are open. I can usually go anytime I wish and get a pack, not just between 11-2 & 5-12. It might cost me a couple of baht more, but I'm happy with that.  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Yet to see a Ma and Pa stores stop selling alcohol during these 'prohibition' periods 

They did where I live, today I noticed our local go to place had it's shutters down this morning

7 hours ago, saakura said:

Lot of bitter and sad guys posting on a wonderful bright morning.

Same names every day, you'd actually  feel sorry for them, must  be terrible walking up miserable every morning. 

FML.   I forgot.   Trying to drink mouthwash........

holiday must mean the moon is doing something....

blood moon.

sounds like a bloody mary i wish i was drinking right now

hold on..... i can still buy glue.......... OMG, life saver.........  (inhales deeply)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Does this ban affect Thailand’s trendy and popular “Chemsex” parties? After all, it would be a shame if all those wild and crazy party animals at Government House….have to waste a whole day off.

More than a few monks are into monkeying around. They sometimes get caught and defrocked, then they swap sides and try and catch and defrock the other dudes at the party.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

What on earth are you talking about? ???? The rule is stupid for the reasons I already outlined. Nothing to do with Thai vs farang. I know plenty of Thai Christians. And many Buddhist farang. Why should the rules of a certain religion dictate the law to others who don't follow that religion?

The only people claiming to be morally superior are the people who create these bans. And people like you who support them. I hate to see apologists for religions dictating how others live their lives. If you think that's a good precedent I suggest you study history. How about a more liberal attitude where we live and let live. You know, tolerance. If you wish to abstain, abstain. But don't force your dogma on others.

I never said I support the banning of alcohol. I am an alcoholic actually ???? , certainly not morally superior.

The reason for banning alcohol has totally bypassed your thinking.

Would you like it if a Thai went to your country and started telling the shopkeepers to open on Christmas day?

I am forcing no Dogma.

You are a guest here, probably, show some respect for the culture. 

Good luck in Pamplona, telling them to stop their bull run.

Vegan snowflakes like you are trying to take over the world ????

Anyway, this banning of alcohol makes absolutely NO difference to the REAL alcoholics here. It is easy to buy it; when you have experienced hallucinating soi dogs with 2 heads  and motorcycle gangsters pointing their AK47s at you, yet you can still make it to 7/11 to buy a bottle of Saeng Thip at 4 am, one little holiday is a walk in the park. 

To be frank, it's the sex addicts that are getting their knickers in a twist about this ban as they can't muster up the courage, and drown their shame with a couple of Saprites.  

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I forgot to grab beers yesterday, was at my local mom and pop store earlier to buy a tray of eggs for breakfast, asked If I could buy a box on the sly... was refused.

Meh there's a few bottles of scotch in the cupboard anyways so grabbed a bag of ice, paid up and came home.

An hour ago Fortuner stopped out front of my house, it was the shop owners Son.

He gave me a box of beer and told me to pay tomorrow..... he must have had about 20 boxes in the back !

Notw, that's what I call service! 

They may well have (had to refuse) refused you initially if other people were in the shop when you asked for fear of being reported. Have made the same mistake myself in the pask. 

15 minutes ago, djayz said:

Notw, that's what I call service! 

They may well have (had to refuse) refused you initially if other people were in the shop when you asked for fear of being reported. Have made the same mistake myself in the pask. 

Iam a regular, normally I call them to send round a few boxes.

They had a sign out front saying no alcohol today... I cheekily asked and was refused, there was nobody else in the shop.

typically they deliver with a 3 wheel scooter... not a Fortuner

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I forgot to grab beers yesterday, was at my local mom and pop store earlier to buy a tray of eggs for breakfast, asked If I could buy a box on the sly... was refused.

Meh there's a few bottles of scotch in the cupboard anyways so grabbed a bag of ice, paid up and came home.

An hour ago Fortuner stopped out front of my house, it was the shop owners Son.

He gave me a box of beer and told me to pay tomorrow..... he must have had about 20 boxes in the back !

9 hours later... I need more beer and the shop is closed....

time to dial a box !!

Karma got me today. Went to the local mum & pop but they were out of my slab of normal beer so thought I would try something different. When I got home looked at the bottom of the can and it was made in December 2019. Tasted like it too. They must have just found it at the back of their storeroom.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

My point is that we are not children. Neither are many of us Buddhists. Banning things in the name of one particular religion is not really an intelligent way to run a country in the 21st century.

I'm sorry, I am simply unable to reconcile "an intelligent way to run a country in the 21st century" with the current regime...

11 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

You are living the dream aren't you!

No.

This morning she put red sauce on me butty instead of brown.

I hit the bleedin roof !!

had to do it again myself from scratch.

Edited by WineOh
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The running of the bulls in Pamplona also happens every year. Just because something happens every year doesn't make it correct. That's incredibly simplistic thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

Looks like there's quite a few other countries not intelligently run then....

USA, Canada, UK, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, Norway etc etc

JohnyF, 

The reality is:  Your complaints about Thailand's laws & rules won't make a difference to those in power.   Just accept them and live your life accordingly.  Remember: You're a guest in the Kingdom, Thailand didn't send an invitation to you to reside in the Kingdom.  Adjust & adapt to their Customs, or depart the Kingdom.  How's that for simplicity? 

On 5/26/2021 at 8:07 AM, saakura said:

Lot of bitter and sad guys posting on a wonderful bright morning.

Peeing down with rain here yesterday, (but my local Ma & Pa shop still delivered my beer), and all last night and continuing heavy downpour now, Heavy storm electric flipped off twice. Wish I had a 'lot of Bitter'