Big Brother spoke to me today and I didn't like it

smylee52

Winston... report to room 101 immediately for your rehabilitation sessions... You know the thing about Orwell's 1984 version of a dystopia, is that it is so inefficient. Huxley's Brave New World [Order] is much more plausible. 

Welcome to the Machine -- Pink Floyd. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Big brother is fine, he won't care what you do.

However with all these tracking devices, GPS on cars computers these days I would like to point out than when visiting Mia nois in curtain hotels these days it is advisable to take the old motorbike and forget your phone.

It used to be so easy in the eighties with only land lines.

From a flawed memory;

Seems like it was the 90's in America when a guy was reported missing overnight by his wife. With police help he was tracked via his cell phone (as they were known then) to No Tell Motel and awakened with his not-wife.

The man sued the police and phone company and won. His wife sued for divorce.

Seems the cops weren't allowed to pursue such cases until the subject was missing for 4 days. Their access to phone location was thus illegal.

If it happened today and the cops broke down the door and shot him and his not-wife the case would be dismissed I suspect.

May seem counter-intuitive to many screen junkies but I seldom carry my mobile phone with me and my GPS is always turned off unless I need maps. Call me a dinosaur or privacy advocate, take your pick.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DBath said:

they're not doing that here on any large scale and certainly not at every Tesco or small "mom and pop" venue

a "mon and pop" store does not need to install any recognition software - only the simple one to make photos and transfer them to the "main server" for the recognition.

13 minutes ago, fdsa said:

a "mon and pop" store does not need to install any recognition software - only the simple one to make photos and transfer them to the "main server" for the recognition.

One does not need to be a “prop head” to understand how the technology works. I would love to see any proof you have that this is being done on any wide scale - here in the LOS. 

Edited by DBath

It's possibly Facebook, or as others have said you've used your full name to log on to WIFI.

It's highly unlikely the temp scanner is that sophisticated.

But if you have GPS location services on, and you have not disabled the Facebook location services - then you can see who's near you.  You may be linked to a 'friend' of the customer.  Check your Facebook privacy settings.

There is a company called Clearview that has collected millions of faces from social media (illegal under EU law, but you need request them in writing to delete your image) so what the OP described will become more common.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:43 PM, smylee52 said:

It does not have the QR APP . It did have the Government APP Morchana but it was removed .

Maybe data stayed on this phone that I am not aware of . If I happen to return I won;t bring my phone

and ask him what's my name 

It's always good to keep in mind that in the new digital world, "removed, deleted, erased" does not mean that data was actually removed, deleted or erased. More often than not, it just means that the memory space in which the data exists is made available to be overwritten should the need arise.  There is a good chance that deleted data could remain intact for many years.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DBath said:

One does not need to be a “prop head” to understand how the technology works. I would love to see any proof you have that this is being done on any wide scale - here in the LOS. 

I do not work for Thai government so I don't have any proofs. However I do not see any obstacles for this to be done here on the wide scale.

58 minutes ago, dddave said:

It's always good to keep in mind that in the new digital world, "removed, deleted, erased" does not mean that data was actually removed, deleted or erased. More often than not, it just means that the memory space in which the data exists is made available to be overwritten should the need arise.  There is a good chance that deleted data could remain intact for many years.

yep, I have worked for highload projects and could confirm that data is never removed because deleting the row in the database which has thousands of concurrent writes is extremely slow and could even corrupt other rows in this database. Same with deleting a file from the storage which has high write load. That's why there is usually a special field in the row, something like a flag "deleted" - "true" or "false" and when you need to "delete" the data or a file and its record in the database you don't actually delete the file nor the database record, instead you just set the "deleted" field from "false" to "true".

The application will then treat the data (or file) as deleted and will not show it to users, but the data still remains in the database (or file still resides on the hard drive).

In NZ I worked on the safe cities project tracking crowd movements via wifi data and mobile mach addresses. But we had to be scrupulous about making sure that the data was fuzzy so that we could not identify the individual. 

Obviously that is not the case here, they probably generate a digital id from your browsing history, various registrations, tracking of your mobile movement via cell towers combined with the fact that you might have provided your mobile number to the authorities at some point. (?)

Being anonymous in the future will be virtually impossible. 

50 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Being anonymous in the future will be virtually impossible. 

more than that, all the personal information will be publicly accessible - freely available for anyone.

• Like 1

Location tracking by your phones unique IP address. This how you can be fed advertising for local businesses as you travel from cell tower to cell tower. Smart phones weren't really invented for your needs. Well, they were, to get you to pay for the service. But they do provide services to other entities.

There was a case in Australia in which a woman was missing off the street at night. They tracked her phone to a cell tower on a highway in the middle of the night. They then looked for any other phone that pinged that same tower at the same time. Got one, arrested the guy. He took them to the body.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fdsa said:

I do not work for Thai government so I don't have any proofs. However I do not see any obstacles for this to be done here on the wide scale.

Of course you don’t see any obstacles, neither do I. The debate was whether or not this is being done on a wide scale here in Thailand - today, not ten years from now! The answer is a big fat NOPER!!! Since you have no proof, let’s just call it, shall we?

Edited by DBath

1 hour ago, Rick Bechard said:

Location tracking by your phones unique IP address. This how you can be fed advertising for local businesses as you travel from cell tower to cell tower.

not "IP", you mistake the internet address with IMEI (mobile phone ID) + IMSI (SIM card ID) combination.

cell phone towers track users by IMEI+IMSI

On 5/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, Pilotman said:

.  I sign in on the sheet, when I can be bothered,

They hit me up with a Laundry charge for doing that ????

On 5/27/2021 at 10:11 AM, RobMuir said:

It used to be so easy in the eighties with only land lines.

the time when a time agreed for a meeting  would stand 95% of the time, weeks in advance.

Edited by KKr
  • Like 1

I returned to the business again today fully prepared .  I left my smartphone at home . Left my wallet and passport in my car parked 50 metres from the entrance and the device so I was devoid of any trackable items that could give away my identity.

Unfortunately the table was not manned today and no sign of "the hacker" so not able to get any 

new information . The place is quite out of my way and I probably won't be in the vicinity for at least a month so i will try again at a later date to see if the conditions are right with the table manned and someone looking at their smartphone capturing the names of people who enter.

Since no one else has reported  a similar experience I will be satisfied with the explanation that there

was old data on my smartphone that i had thought had been deleted but still accessible .  Still a little mystifed how he had my full legal name translated into Thai immediately as I passed the scanner . 

I feel like it is time to get a Faraday bag to prevent scanning of my credit cards and smartphone . 

23 hours ago, fangless said:

7/11 announced on March 15 2018 that they were installing face recognition equipment in some Thai stores as a trial run prior to installing them country wide, so it cannot be that expensive.

They now have this installed at Makro stores where I live... You are required to "look into the camera" when entering store and must wait until you get a blinking light on the screen before proceeding into the store... They will recognize you even if you have a mask on... If this tech is linked to the immigration databases, then there is your link... This tech has been in use in China for a long time... 

11 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

They now have this installed at Makro stores where I live... You are required to "look into the camera" when entering store and must wait until you get a blinking light on the screen before proceeding into the store... They will recognize you even if you have a mask on... If this tech is linked to the immigration databases, then there is your link... This tech has been in use in China for a long time... 

The following is an extract from the 7/11 blurb when they announced the FR introduction;

"7-Eleven will use facial-recognition and behavior-analysis technologies to identify loyalty members, analyze in-store traffic, monitor product levels, suggest products to customers, and even measure the emotions of customers as they walk around."

Here is a link to a previous TV thread on the subject;

Privacy warning as 7-Eleven in Thailand to start scanning customer’s faces - Thailand News - Thai Visa Forum

Edited by fangless
Link added

57 minutes ago, JackMarrow said:

You're the only English name in the signature book.  So they guy took a chance and called you by it.  Just say 'no wrong guy'.

I wish it was that simple.  I didn't sign in . After he called me by my legal name seemed like a waste of

time to sign in . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DBath said:

The debate was whether or not this is being done on a wide scale here in Thailand - today, not ten years from now! The answer is a big fat NOPER!!!

do you have any proofs for that?

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2021 at 12:33 PM, johng said:

Except they wont let you self isolate !  they will march you off to a Covid internment camp for a forced 2 week "holiday"

not to mention the  shoving of cotton buds so far up the nostril to almost  cause a lobotomy ????

exactly right.  There is no incentive to get tested, just in case. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:00 PM, smylee52 said:

I  don;t  have data activated on my phone and I didn't log into the Wi-fi at this location .  Maybe the AIS phone network is all they need to lift my info .  I may be in the general vicinity of this business in the near future and walk in without my phone . I hope the table is manned so I can confirm it was my phone that gave me away . 

Have you entered the Kingdom since fingerprinting has been mandatory?

The temp app may be linked to government data base with fingerprints interface?

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yes I have been fingerprinted by immigration at Suvarnabhumi on entering the country  but I only 

put the back of my hand in front of the sensor when checking temp . . I think more likely the fact 

that they take your photo and have that in a database with your passport info ,

2 hours ago, fdsa said:

do you have any proofs for that?

"I do not work for Thai government so I don't have any proof."  Sound familiar?

Edited by DBath

19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

since when is anything linked to anything in Thailand?  It must be one of the least interconnected societies in the modern world. Multiple apps for everything, that ask for the same information and don't talk to each other.  A stand alone Immigration system that doesn't talk to any other department. Hospital registration systems that are confined to one hospital. Reams of nonsensical paperwork that should all be on computer.  No chance 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1