Thailand reports new daily record of 47 coronavirus deaths, 3,323 infections

webfact

Chulabhorn Royal Academy to import COVID-19 vaccine

BANGKOK, May 27 (TNA) – Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Prof Dr Nithi Mahanonda, secretary-general of Chulabhorn Royal Academy, will announce the academy’s plan to import the COVID-19 vaccine produced by Sinopharm Group Co.

The event was set at the academy at 1.30pm-2.30pm on May 28. The schedule followed an announcement on the Royal Gazette that Chulabhorn Royal Academy was authorized to import medicine, vaccine and medical services to contain COVID-19 in the country.

In the announcement, the secretary-general of the academy will represent the academy in its medical operations and the academy is able to import and distribute COVID-19 vaccines on its own for the public interest. (TNA)

More:

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-704811

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The rising death count is a big concern. It’s inevitable of course, because the deaths are a lagging indicator and today’s deaths reflect the case count of two weeks ago. The case count hasn’t fallen since then, so unfortunately the deaths will continue.

looking longer term, the deaths figure may get even worse. The new strategy of focusing vaccines on hot spot and tourist areas leaves the “at risk” groups badly exposed. Unfortunately, that may cause the overall deaths to be higher than they would be if vaccinations were focused on those most likely to suffer severe symptoms.

the frustrating thing in my view, is that it seems to me that vaccines work when used in two ways. The first is when virtually everyone has been jabbed. That gets the so called herd immunity. The second is that for one single individual a vaccine will protect them as an individual.

what I don’t see as being effective is trying to immunize a hotspot, as a means to eliminate that hotspot. People move around, go in and out of the hotspot on a daily basis, immunizing a fairly large group of people takes time. I just don’t see how immunizing bangkok and not other provinces, can work particularly well. It would be like the UK government saying that they would immunize London because of the Kent variant, but not the North of England.

personally, I think it’s a mistake that will show up in the death count because vaccine should be focused where it can save lives. Lockdowns are the mechanism to control hotspots.

If the deaths keep rising it might make it difficult to argue the case numbers are in fact stable.

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes exactly, this will likely have a huge impact on the dynamics of the whole vaccination program and those in charge, anything that can help is good for the Thai people and Thailand as a whole.

Yep. Great for the Thai people who are disorientated and disillusioned with the Junta and their pushed policies.. No secret that the Thai people are against the current vaccines the government is forcing upon them. She knows what is up. Great for us foreigners as well if pfiser and moderna materialize from being roadblocked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

wrong!! 7 day lock down from tonight

I said Victoria about to go into a 7 day maybe more lockdown. At the time of my post this had not yet been confirmed. I said going into lockdown and that's what's happening. Lockdown starts at midnight tonight. I'm confused why you say I am wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Chulabhorn Royal Academy to import COVID-19 vaccine

BANGKOK, May 27 (TNA) – Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Prof Dr Nithi Mahanonda, secretary-general of Chulabhorn Royal Academy, will announce the academy’s plan to import the COVID-19 vaccine produced by Sinopharm Group Co.

The event was set at the academy at 1.30pm-2.30pm on May 28. The schedule followed an announcement on the Royal Gazette that Chulabhorn Royal Academy was authorized to import medicine, vaccine and medical services to contain COVID-19 in the country.

In the announcement, the secretary-general of the academy will represent the academy in its medical operations and the academy is able to import and distribute COVID-19 vaccines on its own for the public interest. (TNA)

1622078949368-0x800-1.jpg

More:

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-704811

The sec-gen of the Chulabhorn Royal Academy says Royal Gazette order enabling them to procure #COVID19 vaccines is meant to offer another option. It’s expected for a while that they will procure shots by Sinopharm, thus the order might’ve been just to clear a legal hurdle.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1397778272121884672

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If the deaths keep rising it might make it difficult to argue the case numbers are in fact stable.

True. It’s always been said that you can hide cases, but not deaths. So if deaths keep rising, they must be the result of more cases

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yep. Great for the Thai people who are disorientated and disillusioned with the Junta and their pushed policies.. No secret that the Thai people are against the current vaccines the government is forcing upon them. She knows what is up. Great for us foreigners as well if pfiser and moderna materialize from being roadblocked.

Indeed good news, although I wonder what the delivery times are for Pfizer and Moderna. Unlike in Thailand, they'll have to get to the back of the queue just like everyone else.

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I said Victoria about to go into a 7 day maybe more lockdown. At the time of my post this had not yet been confirmed. I said going into lockdown and that's what's happening. Lockdown starts at midnight tonight. I'm confused why you say I am wrong.

He read your post incorrectly.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

The sec-gen of the Chulabhorn Royal Academy says Royal Gazette order enabling them to procure #COVID19 vaccines is meant to offer another option. It’s expected for a while that they will procure shots by Sinopharm, thus the order might’ve been just to clear a legal hurdle.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1397778272121884672

Weird. Not more than a few hours ago Anutin was quoted as saying he knew nothing about the move by the institute. And yet here he is taking part in the process. Confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Opinion: A royal intervention in the healthcare arena is a rebuke against Prayuth

The announcement in the Royal Gazette that the Chulabhorn Royal Academy can ignore and bypass the Prayuth government’s policy to centralize the procurement of the Covid-19 vaccines is not only an embarrassment to the government, but also tantamount to a pseudo power-grab, at least within the healthcare realm.

Specifically, the decree grants autonomous power to the Institute in negotiating and importing Covid-19 vaccines with the manufacturers both in Thailand and abroad. This was a right that was reserved for only the Thai government.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27935/opinion-a-royal-intervention-in-the-healthcare-arena-is-a-rebuke-against-prayuth/

The announcement also said all medical equipment, drugs and vaccines imported by the academy would be considered its property for the purpose of medicine and public health and will not be liable to any kind of legal execution.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001346

Chulabhorn Royal Academy given sweeping healthcare powers in late night announcement

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27937/chulabhorn-institute-given-sweeping-healthcare-powers-in-late-night-announcement/

Another nail in Anutin's coffin!  Oh, where is that oak stake?  The ongoing streams of contradictory information surely come from internal conflicts. The final epic battle between Neo and Agent Smith (played by Anutin) where they spiral skywards comes to mind.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I am still hoping that the Thais have something in their genetic make-up that makes them less susceptible to this virus.

Judging by the number of cases, I don’t think that’s true.

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There hasn't been any determination made as yet whether that man's death was or was not related to him having received a vaccine the prior day. As noted, he had other pre-existing health issues.

And yes, no autopsy...but not because the government wasn't/isn't interested in doing one, but rather, the family refused.

Thanks for clarifying that.

The intent of my first paragraph was to say that some members of the thai public are jumping to the conclusion that it was death by vaccine. I should have added that Health officials state that  there is no reason to believe that is the case.

the intent of my second paragraph was to show that the death could be related to anything that the deceased did in the days preceding his death, and nothing to do with the vaccine.

apologies for a poorly worded post on my part

1. It wasn't a good look with the Czar boasting his second vax-shot around the same time he just abandoned the App that everybody else had to use.

2. It seems the government declined to join the COVAX scheme, and is now no doubt last on all the suppliers lists, which is why they promise everyone will be vaxed, but are unable to say when.

3. Pity there seems delays at the local A-Z production facility - never good to put all your eggs in one basket.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I am happy that HRH  princess Chulabhorn sees how bad the situation is created by Prayuth and his cronie Anuthin... Next move dismiss them

To dismiss them would probably require a coup and I dare say that the option chosen would be the least confrontational and a wise and practical decision.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ian223 said:

Indeed good news, although I wonder what the delivery times are for Pfizer and Moderna. Unlike in Thailand, they'll have to get to the back of the queue just like everyone else.

apparently Thailand has not ordered Pfizer yet., although we should get them in July

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I have confidence the Thais will come out of this better than the UK or any of the European countries did.

Last time i checked the UK was on the continent of Europe.

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

apparently Thailand has not ordered Pfizer yet., although we should get them in July

Anutin confirms Thailand will buy 10 million doses of Pfizer vaccine (nationthailand.com)

But he met with them and Pfizer said it was ready to supply 10 million doses to Thailand but was unable to give a timeframe for delivery. Then the Good PM stated PM Prayut Chan-o-cha said 5-10 million doses of Pfizer vaccine should arrive in Thailand from July to December"

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Anutin confirms Thailand will buy 10 million doses of Pfizer vaccine (nationthailand.com)

But he met with them and Pfizer said it was ready to supply 10 million doses to Thailand but was unable to give a timeframe for delivery. Then the Good PM stated PM Prayut Chan-o-cha said 5-10 million doses of Pfizer vaccine should arrive in Thailand from July to December"

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

And now the talks with Pfizer are on track... So probably not for July but later than Moderna that will come at end of October...

30 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

True. It’s always been said that you can hide cases, but not deaths. So if deaths keep rising, they must be the result of more cases

Though it might be true deaths can't be hidden but deaths with covid might be a different matter because of the "unknown viral deaths" option is available and since this number has been hidden from public view since they suddenly withdrew access to this data early last year when it reached 3600 in about March/April 2020. 

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not sure I trust any government figures, but there isn't anything else to go on!

Personally I would not be inclined to go on numbers I don't trust, as going on these numbers might be seen as endorsing them.

Those on ventilators to follow.

Official #COVID19 update in #Thailand on Thursday:

Since 1 April 2021

112,354 people infected (+21 imported cases & +3,302 local cases)

826 dead +47

46,469 in care

1,201 in serious condition

2,063 discharged from care Follow

@ThaiNewsReports

for full details

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1397788761086300162