Thailand reports new daily record of 47 coronavirus deaths, 3,323 infections

webfact

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

88 deaths in two days. Thailand now number 84 on the covid charts up 35 spots in around a month and a half. Victoria, Australia about to go into a 7 day maybe more lockdown with an outbreak of 26 positives and numerous infection sites. Bangkok and surrounds, community transmission 2-2.5k every day. Around 200x the infections of Victoria in one day (yesterday Victoria found 11 new cases which makes up the 26 day before was 15) with around 3-4x the population. No lockdown. 

With Thailand going on about opening up to tourist on 1st of July. I would think they should be more worried about tourist wanting to visit Thailand the way the infection and death rate is going up. Even a fully vaccinated person can still contract and pass the virus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Testing will help identify positive cases earlier, allowing people to self isolate before infecting so many others and hopefully stop clusters developing. So in your example, testing might have helped reduce the positive number of cases from 2000 to 1500. That in turn reduces deaths.

There are plenty of variables involved but the essence of it is, identify positive people before they infect others.

The Case Fatality Rate is the ratio of deaths to positive cases. 

Your argument is that reducing positive cases somehow reduces the Case Fatality Rate, is not true. 

CFR relates to a given pool of positive cases, today's 2000 cases, for example. They are probably going to have a CFR around 0.5%, meaning somewhere around 10 are going to die. There is no way for you to change that by testing other people. 

Reducing deaths is a good thing. Reducing cases is a good thing.  There isn't enough testing. 

3 minutes ago, Ginner said:

With Thailand going on about opening up to tourist on 1st of July. I would think they should be more worried about tourist wanting to visit Thailand the way the infection and death rate is going up. Even a fully vaccinated person can still contract and pass the virus.

The Case Fatality Rate in Thailand is far lower than in most other countries. 

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

You need some education on the relationship between testing and case fatality.

Impact of virus testing on COVID-19 case fatality rate:

The increase of one percentage point in the test rate is associated with a decrease of 0.001 percentage point in the death rate. In other words, for each additional 1000 tests, one person would have remained alive.

COVID-19 intensive screening policies were significantly associated with a decrease in the fatality-case rate in France. These results support the implementation of mass screening strategies and could provide important information for decision-makers in the fight against SARS-CoV2 pandemic. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.26.20080531v1

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341337672_Impact_of_Virus_Testing_on_COVID-19_Case_Fatality_Rate_Estimate_Using_a_Fixed-Effects_Model

Well that was stupid. 

Countries with excellent testing have excellent hospitals, so more patients survive. 

Duhhh...

Oh, and the second study admits no statistically significant correlation. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Brian already told you how testing effect the numbers how many die. Also if testing more maybe find many covid victim what is not now in numbers.

You lost the plot. 

We were talking about the Case Fatality Rate, not the overall death rate. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Brian already told you how testing effect the numbers how many die. Also if testing more maybe find many covid victim what is not now in numbers.

No, Brian provided links to 2 incredibly weak studies. One admitted that the correlation was not statistically significant. 

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Well that was stupid. 

Countries with excellent testing have excellent hospitals, so more patients survive. 

Duhhh...

They are both the same study just on different sites and come to the same conclusions the second link you need to download the study, I just gave it as an example as it also contained the peer reviews that authenticate the claims:

"The increase of one percentage point in the test rate is associated with a decrease of 0.001 percentage point in the death rate. In other words, for each additional 1000 tests, one person would have remained alive.

COVID-19 intensive screening policies were significantly associated with a decrease in the fatality-case rate in France. These results support the implementation of mass screening strategies and could provide important information for decision-makers in the fight against SARS-CoV2 pandemic."

However you are still obviously having a problem comprehending its contents. That is your problem however if you don't understand basic science thats explained.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Well that was stupid. 

Duhhh...

So Thailand's hospitals and health service system is not excellent in your view.  It is very sad that you see it this way when the world sees it in the top 6 nations for its health services and then has 1 hospital Ranked in the top 12 in the world.

12 Best Hospitals In The World | 2021 Edition - RankRed

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/09/10/thailand-healthcare-system-world-sixth-public-health-service-system/

Tell us more about why they are not excellent or why you personally believe other than what the world rankings show.

For 2020 they were ranked in at 47th in the top 100 nations and just behind the US but above S. korea.

Ranking Best Health Care Systems in the World by Country (internationalinsurance.com)

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So Thailand's hospitals and health service system is not excellent in your view.  It is very sad that you see it this way when the world sees it in the top 6 nations for its health services and then has 1 hospital Ranked in the top 12 in the world.

12 Best Hospitals In The World | 2021 Edition - RankRed

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/09/10/thailand-healthcare-system-world-sixth-public-health-service-system/

Tell us more about why they are not excellent or why you personally believe other than what the world rankings show.

I was referring to the study of European health systems that determined that countries that test a lot also have higher patient survival rates. 

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

False, look again both same studies

Anyone making a case based on 2 studies has a weak case. 

Anyway, you blew FFF's argument out of the water. He claimed that CFR cannot be changed, and therefore higher mortality implies more cases. You argue that CFR can change. 

Thanks for the help. 

1 hour ago, Tonypandy said:

Locking down a city for 26 cases is ridiculous 

Not locking down and you get what you get here. Guess they think that hard medicine is the way to go. Knock it on the head quick and hard. Here don't knock it on the head just let it run and ruin. Phuket, Pattaya want's to open up while BKK is out of control? The only people coming here will be the Chinese to buy everything up. No tourists. Not happening this year.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hopefully someone in Thailand is considering opening a second vaccine production facility to serve the nation & the ASEAN region as new viruses are bound to follow.

I'm sure there's some pigs snouts in the trough working on that right now.

I can't believe in the face of overwhelming evidence some people can't see the truth. Indeed if the truth was being given to to population the evedince would be even more overwhelming. If this lot gets kicked out the paper shredders and computer guys will well and truly be working overtime.

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I would like to see some evidence for your claims aside form your assumptions? Weak case maybe?

Anyway its not just two studies there are more than a dozen here's two more that covers 35 countries. Its all basic science and I'm very surprised its something you have no knowledge about:

We found that population mortality and case fatality rates were highly correlated with testing coverage

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7804083/

Testing capacity, which is associated with the availability of resources and manpower, is the single most important factor that can tremendously affect the CFR, 

https://www.clinicalmicrobiologyandinfection.com/article/S1198-743X(21)00004-5/fulltext

I stand corrected.

if there is more testing, more asymptomatic cases are picked up, and so CFR declines. Brian is right.

It doesn’t mean that fatalities are necessarily reduced, only the CFR is reduced.

However, if the amount of testing is constant, CFR may still vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Ginner said:

The way the virus is spreading other countries will not allow travel to Thailand. July 1st will not happen in my opinion  

Just now, PEE TEE said:

The way the virus is spreading other countries will not allow travel to Thailand. July 1st will not happen in my opinion  

July 1 is going to happen, the question is if and when Phuket allows vaccinated tourists without quarantine.

one hopeful sign: I landed in Krabi airport yesterday and there was a long line before baggage claim, where everyone had to  disclose their medical histories. I showed my CDC vaccination card, and was waved through.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

If you contact them, as one of the few left in the nation who still defend the government, you might be able to arrange a PR retainer. The results of the first wave were likely due to dumb luck, it appears. 

Very lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it.

Plus the squeaky wheel gets the most oil, which may seem like a laughing matter but as the parents of a little girl who recently died in an Australian hospital whilst waiting for attention because the parents pleas where ignored will attest.

• Like 1

Meeting tomorrow should be interesting, I bet Anutin's not there....lol:

Thailand’s Chulabhorn Royal Academy is to procure alternative makes of COVID-19 vaccines, to supplement those being acquired by the government, without going through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO).

A formal joint press conference, about the academy’s procurement of other vaccines, is to be held on Friday by the academy, the Public Health Ministry and Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (TFDA).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chulabhorn-royal-academy-to-procure-alternative-covid-19-vaccines/

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

July 1 is going to happen, the question is if and when Phuket allows vaccinated tourists without quarantine.

one hopeful sign: I landed in Krabi airport yesterday and there was a long line before baggage claim, where everyone had to  disclose their medical histories. I showed my CDC vaccination card, and was waved through.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/

A group of agents and folk from the entertainment world are working on it, so it looks likely "something" will start,  may be a small trickle, who knows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1