Thailand reports new daily record of 47 coronavirus deaths, 3,323 infections

webfact

A clarifying note to the audience who don’t understand Case Fatality Rate:

About 2000 civvies were found to be positive today. At a case fatality rate of 1%, 20 will die. 

My question is how more testing would change the number who will die.

I have pointed out that the factors that will determine the death rate are the kind of hospital that treats them, how tired the medical staff is, equipment failures, supply issues, real life problems that happen during epidemics. But “more testing”, I don’t see how that figures in.

And yes, case fatality rates often rise as epidemics grind on, for the reasons mentioned above.

Sometimes, however, CFR may drop if new procedures are developed or a cure is found.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The Case Fatality Rate has 2 components:

Positive Cases, and

Fatalities among those positive cases.

Which of these numbers would be altered by your suggestions?

You missed the point that testing will result in less spread therefore less infections therefore less deaths. This is simple 1st yr university philosophy/logic. It is I'm afraid also basic logic. I'm sorry you can't see this. Unfortunately for Thailand it would seem the empty heads in charge can't see this.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How are the hotspots being eliminated?Do you have any info on these eliminations?

In todays English version the Govt spoke of patrolling(so to speak) the construction and big wholesale markets  sites in  Bangkok.

Its about time imop ! I've said before mitigation and hygiene practices are imop not being practiced enough in these areas of concern !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Opinion: A royal intervention in the healthcare arena is a rebuke against Prayuth

The announcement in the Royal Gazette that the Chulabhorn Royal Academy can ignore and bypass the Prayuth government’s policy to centralize the procurement of the Covid-19 vaccines is not only an embarrassment to the government, but also tantamount to a pseudo power-grab, at least within the healthcare realm.

Specifically, the decree grants autonomous power to the Institute in negotiating and importing Covid-19 vaccines with the manufacturers both in Thailand and abroad. This was a right that was reserved for only the Thai government.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27935/opinion-a-royal-intervention-in-the-healthcare-arena-is-a-rebuke-against-prayuth/

The announcement also said all medical equipment, drugs and vaccines imported by the academy would be considered its property for the purpose of medicine and public health and will not be liable to any kind of legal execution.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001346

Chulabhorn Royal Academy given sweeping healthcare powers in late night announcement

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27937/chulabhorn-institute-given-sweeping-healthcare-powers-in-late-night-announcement/

Hopefully someone in Thailand is considering opening a second vaccine production facility to serve the nation & the ASEAN region as new viruses are bound to follow.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1397823131830554624

The Department of Corrections has released the latest statistics. Today they are reporting 1,228 new cases bringing the grand total to 21,010. Out of these, 4,465 have recovered. So far, there have been 6 deaths. Most cases today were from Khlong Prem Prison (889) #Thailand

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

A clarifying note to the audience who don’t understand Case Fatality Rate:

About 2000 civvies were found to be positive today. At a case fatality rate of 1%, 20 will die. 

My question is how more testing would change the number who will die.

I have pointed out that the factors that will determine the death rate are the kind of hospital that treats them, how tired the medical staff is, equipment failures, supply issues, real life problems that happen during epidemics. But “more testing”, I don’t see how that figures in.

And yes, case fatality rates often rise as epidemics grind on, for the reasons mentioned above.

Sometimes, however, CFR may drop if new procedures are developed or a cure is found.

Testing will help identify positive cases earlier, allowing people to self isolate before infecting so many others and hopefully stop clusters developing. So in your example, testing might have helped reduce the positive number of cases from 2000 to 1500. That in turn reduces deaths.

There are plenty of variables involved but the essence of it is, identify positive people before they infect others.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, morrobay said:

See graph 3 for how R0 varies with time/situation.https://epiforecasts.io/covid/posts/national/thailand/

Goodness knows if I am reading correctly, but it seems Thailand’s R rate is well below 1 and the case numbers should be cut in half shortly.

interesting. Although it’s based on known positive cases and presumably the sudden identification of large clusters of cases which were previously unknown and therefore not accounted for in the calculations, could throw it out of whack.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Who told you the UK strain is more deadly per infection?

Who told you the Indian strain is less deadly per infection?

Hi Brian, thanks for you question.

There are 17 genetic changes in the B.1.1.7 variant from England with evidence that this variant is more contagious. Scientists noticed a surge of cases in areas where the new strain appeared.

Some of the mutations in the B.1.1.7 version affect the coronavirus’s spike protein, which covers the outer coating of SARS-CoV-2 and give the virus its characteristic spiny appearance. These proteins help the virus attach to human cells in the nose, lungs and other areas of the body binding more tightly to our cells.

Which explains why Thailand, who successfully had measures in place for so long, has been caught off guard with the B117 strain with deaths and infections up 90% since this wave hit us in April.

and it ain't over yet.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Hi Brian, thanks for you question.

There are 17 genetic changes in the B.1.1.7 variant from England with evidence that this variant is more contagious. Scientists noticed a surge of cases in areas where the new strain appeared.

Some of the mutations in the B.1.1.7 version affect the coronavirus’s spike protein, which covers the outer coating of SARS-CoV-2 and give the virus its characteristic spiny appearance. These proteins help the virus attach to human cells in the nose, lungs and other areas of the body binding more tightly to our cells.

Which explains why Thailand, who successfully had measures in place for so long, has been caught off guard with the B117 strain with deaths and infections up 90% since this wave hit us in April.

and it ain't over yet.

We all know its more contagious but where does that fit in with your claim below?

"I was told it was the English strain but I hope you are right.

The Indian strain isn't as deadly or contagious."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The hatred and bigotry directed towards the Thai government on this forum is unbelievable and those that claim to come from a civilised society should be ashamed.

It is only from the loud minority who endlessly complain everything Thai.

It is rediculous when looking at the statistics compared to other countries. Of course Thailand has been successful. The idiots claiming otherwise complain about everything in Thailand, they simply don't know any other way.

I just laugh at them. As you said, they should just leave, but they stay. It is the same minority day after day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The majority on this forum steadfastly refuse to accept how well the crisis was dealt with in the first year or so. Between Aug and Christmas last year I traveled the length and breadth of Thailand without a problem, something residents of many other countries could only dream about. 

Who here is talking about the crisis last year or even criticizing it?

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just as a comparison in Melbourne they have 26 cases and contact traces in 24 hours have tracked and locked down 10,000 close contacts and 150 exposure sites have been identified  and that the outbreak is no longer under control so in Thailand with 2000 plus positive cases each day one can imagine Thailand might have hundreds of thousand of close contacts each day and it's still under control according to the authorities and some others.

Anuthin, Anuthin, Anuthin...............

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, morrobay said:

See graph 3 for how R0 varies with time/situation.https://epiforecasts.io/covid/posts/national/thailand/

Goodness knows if I am reading correctly, but it seems Thailand’s R rate is well below 1 and the case numbers should be cut in half shortly.

interesting. Although it’s based on known positive cases and presumably the sudden identification of large clusters of cases which were previously unknown and therefore not accounted for in the calculations, could throw it out of whack.

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Who here is talking about the crisis last year or even criticizing it?

I think he is talking about a few of us who to this day still do not believe the numbers that are coming out of the Government, and we did not believe them last year.  I would venture a guess to say he would name me as one of the doomsayers.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

My question is how more testing would change the number who will die

Brian already told you how testing effect the numbers how many die. Also if testing more maybe find many covid victim what is not now in numbers.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Opinion: A royal intervention in the healthcare arena is a rebuke against Prayuth

The announcement in the Royal Gazette that the Chulabhorn Royal Academy can ignore and bypass the Prayuth government’s policy to centralize the procurement of the Covid-19 vaccines is not only an embarrassment to the government, but also tantamount to a pseudo power-grab, at least within the healthcare realm.

Specifically, the decree grants autonomous power to the Institute in negotiating and importing Covid-19 vaccines with the manufacturers both in Thailand and abroad. This was a right that was reserved for only the Thai government.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27935/opinion-a-royal-intervention-in-the-healthcare-arena-is-a-rebuke-against-prayuth/

The announcement also said all medical equipment, drugs and vaccines imported by the academy would be considered its property for the purpose of medicine and public health and will not be liable to any kind of legal execution.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001346

Chulabhorn Royal Academy given sweeping healthcare powers in late night announcement

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27937/chulabhorn-institute-given-sweeping-healthcare-powers-in-late-night-announcement/

Anunit does know anything about this

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The majority on this forum steadfastly refuse to accept how well the crisis was dealt with in the first year or so.

In a democracy the majority wins so it looks like you're on the losing side, on the other hand unfortunately we don't live in a democracy here so you can count yourself a winner! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

88 deaths in two days. Thailand now number 84 on the covid charts up 35 spots in around a month and a half. Victoria, Australia about to go into a 7 day maybe more lockdown with an outbreak of 26 positives and numerous infection sites. Bangkok and surrounds, community transmission 2-2.5k every day. Around 200x the infections of Victoria in one day (yesterday Victoria found 11 new cases which makes up the 26 day before was 15) with around 3-4x the population. No lockdown. 

Locking down a city for 26 cases is ridiculous 

• Haha 2