Thailand reports new daily record of 47 coronavirus deaths, 3,323 infections

webfact

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There is no question that the vaccination program has been a failure. And, no one would argue that the current tactical approach by the government is anything but a holding action until vaccines are available.

Having said that, the tactical effort to suppress the virus will likely hold back this third wave and slowly eradicate it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What an odd thing to post.

Do you see this as some sort of competition? 

Not so much a competition, more a matter of life and death for millions of people.

My home state of Victoria in Australia has just locked down again due to the B117 strain.

Hopefully they can stop it also.

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The highest so far you mean. 

Sorry Mr Meeseeks I meant to quote @Rob Muir's post as follows...

"Thankfully 47 dead is the highest, the UKs worst day with it was 1,832 dead."

That's when pubs were open, packed public transport with absolutly zero people wearing masks, borders open etc. Yesterday the UK had 9 deaths.

Again they want to open things up just as the Indian variant seems to be getting a grip in Northern England so interesting to keep an eye on the UK.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Not so much a competition, more a matter of life and death for millions of people.

My home state of Victoria in Australia has just locked down again due to the B117 strain.

Hopefully they can stop it also.

Actually the B.1617!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Regarding vaccines, despite all the varied talk from the government, AFAIK, they have yet to finalize ANY deal for any OTHER vaccines beyond the imported Chinese Sinovac and the promised local production of AstraZeneca.

--They've promised 20 million doses of the Thai FDA approved Pfizer vaccine, but the last I saw in the past week was a Thai report saying a proposed contract had been submitted to the Attorney General for review.

--the talk of 5 million imported Thai FDA approved Moderna vaccines seems to have been relegated to the realm of the private hospitals only, and there's been no substantive word lately on any specific timeframe for those doses to actually become available, nor any word of an actual contractual agreement.

--The PM previously promised plans to import Sputnik vaccine doses from Russia, but the Sputnik vaccine hasn't been approved yet by the Thai FDA, and I've heard zero mention anytime recently on what's become of that effort.

--the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has been approved by the Thai FDA, and it's been vaguely mentioned with plans to acquire 10 million doses. But again, no public information of where they are with acquisition of those doses or when/how they would be used.

All of the above making the sudden, reported entry of the Chulabhorn Royal Academy into Thailand's vaccines effort a rather interesting development, especially at this rather late point in the process.

Will they be able to make any meaningful and rapid progress on the vaccines front now, when the government's efforts largely have stalled and fumbled in recent months?

Are we assuming that suppliers are going to sell to private entities? I have seen reports that they will only sell direct to governments, presumably to give equal access to all and not allow those with the ability to pay jump the queue.

• Like 1

When in desperation mode bring in the UK or US as a compari

22 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If you mean “under control” = complete eradication, you are correct.

But the current set of tactics used by the government will get the situation back to the levels of last March.

Another prediction, you just can't help yourself. If you really think that you are dreaming. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, champers said:

Are we assuming that suppliers are going to sell to private entities? I have seen reports that they will only sell direct to governments, presumably to give equal access to all and not allow those with the ability to pay jump the queue.

Under the circs, kind of hard to exactly say whether the Chulabhorn entity ought to be considered as a private entity or a government entity by the outside world... if you know what I mean.... (I realize, technically, it's a private entity... but....)

23 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

If Thailand was a wealthy nation, I'm sure they would have locked down more aggressively as they did last year. Think about the reasons why they're so hesitant to do a strict lockdown.

I'm talking about the numbers without full lockdown. R0 must be exactly 1 to stay at 2000 cases a day excluding prisons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, champers said:

Vaccine sales are to Governments only. This is to help prevent the corruption and gouging which could potentially happen if Private Entities were involved in Vaccine procurement.

The Vaccines are also sold on a non Profit making basis due to the Humanitarian need for these Vaccines.

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Vaccine sales are to Governments only. This is to help prevent the corruption and gouging which could potentially happen if Private Entities were involved in Vaccine procurement.

The Vaccines are also sold on a non Profit making basis due to the Humanitarian need for these Vaccines.

I think the principal reason might be so that the pharma companies can’t be sued if someone dies from taking the vaccine. At least one of the reasons anyway

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Under the circs, kind of hard to exactly say whether the Chulabhorn entity ought to be considered as a private entity or a government entity by the outside world... if you know what I mean.... (I realize, technically, it's a private entity... but....)

As its patronage attests to, it is Thailand without saying so.....

• Like 1

Just now, wensiensheng said:

I think the principal reason might be so that the pharma companies can’t be sued if someone dies from taking the vaccine. At least one of the reasons anyway

Noticed a 40's yr old man died after sinovac shot in Phuket a couple of days ago. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

WOW. This is a huge sack of potatoes here. Talk about far reaching internal conflict and an opened hand slap to the Junta. I always thought she was more than ok, but now I really appreciate her more and more. The Thai people are counting on her now to lead the real way more than ever, so she needs to be extra careful to not hurt herself recently like her sister unfortunately did. Come on lets get all the Pfizer and Moderna in ASAP..  

This Institute won't have a lot of latitude when it comes to vaccination. I suspect that the Institute might be able to introduce new vaccines into the country, but in limited quantities. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

WOW. This is a huge sack of potatoes here. Talk about far reaching internal conflict and an opened hand slap to the Junta. I always thought she was more than ok, but now I really appreciate her more and more. The Thai people are counting on her now to lead the real way more than ever, so she needs to be extra careful to not hurt herself recently like her sister unfortunately did. Come on lets get all the Pfizer and Moderna in ASAP..  

Yes exactly, this will likely have a huge impact on the dynamics of the whole vaccination program and those in charge, anything that can help is good for the Thai people and Thailand as a whole.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Noticed a 40's yr old man died after sinovac shot in Phuket a couple of days ago. 

Well, he died of a heart attack. But he had taken the vaccine a day before, so it’s being termed death by vaccine.

but maybe he ate som tam the day before and so it could be death by som tam. Actually no, he was Muslim so not som tam. Maybe death by roti then.

registrations for vaccine jabs have nevertheless dropped by 50% however., or at least I read that in one report.

it’s a pity, one incident like that is believed by people over anything that a distrusted government may say.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This situation is going nowhere the way its being handled at the moment

PHETCHABURI, May 27 (TNA) – COVID-19 tests confirmed 256 more people were infected with the disease in the cluster of a Cal-Comp Electronics factory in the central plain province as the total cases in the cluster rose to 2,845, none of whom died of the virus yet.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218498-256-new-covid-cases-in-cal-comp-cluster/

And what hasn't really been fully reported as yet is the fact that the Dept of Corrections as of their latest report was indicating 6 inmate deaths associated with their CV outbreak. But it's not clear whether the MoPH has included those in their deaths tally as yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, he died of a heart attack. But he had taken the vaccine a day before, so it’s being termed death by vaccine.

but maybe he ate som tam the day before and so it could be death by som tam. Actually no, he was Muslim so not som tam. Maybe death by roti then.

registrations for vaccine jabs have nevertheless dropped by 50% however., or at least I read that in one report.

it’s a pity, one incident like that is believed by people over anything that a distrusted government may say.

There hasn't been any determination made as yet whether that man's death was or was not related to him having received a vaccine the prior day. As noted, he had other pre-existing health issues.

And yes, no autopsy...but not because the government wasn't/isn't interested in doing one, but rather, the family refused.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

88 deaths in two days. Thailand now number 84 on the covid charts up 35 spots in around a month and a half. Victoria, Australia about to go into a 7 day maybe more lockdown with an outbreak of 26 positives and numerous infection sites. Bangkok and surrounds, community transmission 2-2.5k every day. Around 200x the infections of Victoria in one day (yesterday Victoria found 11 new cases which makes up the 26 day before was 15) with around 3-4x the population. No lockdown. 

wrong!! 7 day lock down from tonight

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There is no question that the vaccination program has been a failure. And, no one would argue that the current tactical approach by the government is anything but a holding action until vaccines are available.

Having said that, the tactical effort to suppress the virus will likely hold back this third wave and slowly eradicate it.

If this is going to happen, when do you expect to see the inflection point -- the corner turned?  I don't mean this to be a sarcastic question.  I'm trying genuinely to understand your perspective.

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Opinion: A royal intervention in the healthcare arena is a rebuke against Prayuth

The announcement in the Royal Gazette that the Chulabhorn Royal Academy can ignore and bypass the Prayuth government’s policy to centralize the procurement of the Covid-19 vaccines is not only an embarrassment to the government, but also tantamount to a pseudo power-grab, at least within the healthcare realm.

Specifically, the decree grants autonomous power to the Institute in negotiating and importing Covid-19 vaccines with the manufacturers both in Thailand and abroad. This was a right that was reserved for only the Thai government.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27935/opinion-a-royal-intervention-in-the-healthcare-arena-is-a-rebuke-against-prayuth/

The announcement also said all medical equipment, drugs and vaccines imported by the academy would be considered its property for the purpose of medicine and public health and will not be liable to any kind of legal execution.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001346

Chulabhorn Royal Academy given sweeping healthcare powers in late night announcement

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27937/chulabhorn-institute-given-sweeping-healthcare-powers-in-late-night-announcement/

Encouraging news, while ordinary Hospitals can't seem to do anything this organization can, lets hope they keep it up and knock some sense and action into the governments response, action is needed not endless press releases about what they hope and plan to do. Well done Chulabhorn Royal Academy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand is considered a constitutional Monarch with the Monarchy as head of state (government) so it shouldn't be a problem technically is the way I see it.