My Thai immigration office does not accept two bank books

Sweatalot i do not understand why immigration will not accept 2 accounts.

For 9 years i have used 2 accounts, 1 fixed term  with almost 700.000 baht, the other my every day usage account, never been a problem.

That is Khonkaen immigration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I don't think the phrase "In a bank account" is meant as singular, if that was the case, it would had said ,"On one bank account" I think it is supposed to indicate in what place the money must be kept. "In a bank account. as opposed to "in your mattress"

I agree with your opinion.

The actual Police Order states;

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Is his SCB bank account in Thailand - yes.

Is his Bangkok Bank account in Thailand - yes.

@sweatalotcan either go back and argue the semantics, or transfer funds between one of the accounts into the other so one account has the required 400K.

Apply for a 60 day extension to allow the 400K to mature in the one bank account to appease Immigration, then reapply for the 1 year extension.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I proved more than 400,000 Baht, available for more than 2 months, through a certificate from SCB Bank (always more than 360,000 Baht) and a certificate from Bangkok Bank that more than 190,000 Bart are available in a fixed deposit account.

Has the fixed deposit account been there more than one year before going to immigration? I always thought immigration only accepted fixed deposit accounts after one year because before that date the money is not available to access at any time like a savings account?

I could be wrong. Never tried it as I always use savings account myself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Airalee said:

“In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.”

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

Account is singular.

It appears that they went by the “letter of the law” this time.  Just because they let things slide in the past doesn’t mean they will in the future.  Yeah....it definitely sucks, but it is what it is.

It appears that they went by the “letter of the law” this time.

What about the 'intent' of the law.

Only posting this for folk wishing to have 2 accounts. 

Personally I have FD ~ 600K+and savings a/c ~ 200k+. 

These accounts sole purpose is for extensions (retirement).  I never use them.

I was advised to have the 2 accounts with ONE bank (yes it doesn't make sense).

OP, I suggest that you obtain 60 day extension (to visit wife) after you have your SCB a/c at 400k+. 

Forget the rights and wrongs. Obtain your 12 month extension and move on.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Has the fixed deposit account been there more than one year before going to immigration? I always thought immigration only accepted fixed deposit accounts after one year because before that date the money is not available to access at any time like a savings account?

Funds in a Foreign currency account or a Fixed Term account or are immediately available for withdrawals the same as a Savings account. You just lose some of the interest with a FTD account if it's not left in for the agreed fixed term.

Also for extensions based on marriage any funds deposited are only required to be in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Edited by Tanoshi

49 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

It appears that they went by the “letter of the law” this time.

What about the 'intent' of the law.

The "letter of the law" doesn't require it to be in one bank account, that's just some weird interpretation by the other poster.

"sirineou" already explained this in his post above.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Funds in a Foreign currency account or a Fixed Term account or are immediately available for withdrawals the same as a Savings account. You just lose some of the interest with a FTD account if it's not left in for the agreed fixed term.

Ok thanks. And by that you imply Immigration accepts the fixed dep accounts just like savings accounts. I will have to swap my savings account to a fixed dep then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Ok thanks. And by that you imply Immigration accepts the fixed dep accounts just like savings accounts. I will have to swap my savings account to a fixed dep then.

Imm accepts FD a/c exactly the same as a savings a/c.

Why do you need to swap to a FD a/c.

The interest rate is so low it's hardly worth it. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, glegolo said:

You ask what to do.. Yes one thing though forget if you aiming to win over Thailand and win over an immigration-officer. I can tell you that it is much easier to do what you are being told and to follow the law in the country you are a guest in.

You have a scb account with 360.000 baht in it,,, plus you have a BKK bank account with availible 190.000 baht in it. You do not want to "lose" that BKK bank account, so you do not want to withdraw the money, you say...

But why just not withdraw that missing 40.000 freaking baht and deposit them into the SCB one, and all good??? Doesn´t seem to be too hard to solve your problem..

glegolo

Except that wouldn't solve his immediate problem as the money needs to be in the account 2 months prior to the application.

12 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

This is autistic nonsense though. You could have 399,999 in one account and 80 million in another and they won't grant your visa if those are the rules.

I had a tourist visa application denied for similar reasons once. Are they stupid, autistic or sadistic?

D) all three

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

The "letter of the law" doesn't require it to be in one bank account, that's just some weird interpretation by the other poster.

"sirineou" already explained this in his post above.

What does the order say in Thai? If it just says "บัญชีธนาคาร" that could mean account or accounts. If it wanted to say "a single account" it would have to spell that out.

Sorry to hear of your running into this issue. As to the IM officers not using critical thinking skills ... well they are certainly not alone in the world. I recognize that many officers would not want to put themselves at risk of getting into trouble with a higher pedantic officer. Guess I take this approach from seeing what is happening in the USA ... critical thinking? ha! Just following orders ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, flossie35 said:

What does the order say in Thai? If it just says "บัญชีธนาคาร" that could mean account or accounts. If it wanted to say "a single account" it would have to spell that out.

And according to my wife, if it meant plural or more than one was permissible then it would have been spelled out differently as well.

I think you should just stop complaining or stop trying to understand. Thai bureaucracy is like that, it's like using google translate, just doesn't make sense.

You don't need to understand, only to obey. I agree it's nonsense, but they decide, so if you want the visa, just do as you are told. There is nothing you can do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1