SURVEY: Would you leave to get vaccinated?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you leave to get vaccinated?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

Can you share with us what kind of insurance you will have to show for re-entry (I'm over 80 so it's a natural question whether some company would even sell it to me), and what kind of paperwork you'll have to have from a Thai embassy or consulate in the US? Thanks very much.

I am in the process of getting my COE from the Thai embassy in the US.  I have submitted a copies of my passport, original visa, my latest extension based on retirement and re-entry permit. I received my initial approval and just submitted my flight details and proof of insurance coverage for COVID of $100,000.  This week I should know if that is everything.  In another thread there is a discussion about the need of having the 400k/40k insurance for hospitalization and out patient.

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

"social contract"

I have lived and worked in 5 countries not named the USA.  The only services that a US Embassy/Consulate realistically offers is to replace or renew a passport, record the birth of child, notarize certain documents and visit you in jail. .  Anything more than that is "lip service".  A long time ago I worked for certain company based out Texas and  in a country located next to Pakistan.  When one of our fellow employee died(actually he was killed) the responsibility for getting his body home was the 100% responsibility of the employer.  The embassy(one of the most unwelcoming places I have ever been to) just wanted to know the name and home state of the deceased.  Another incident that exemplifies how much the US Government cares is this:  before  a severely injured coworker could be medically evacuated on a C-17 the Embassy demanded this employee had DBA and/or health insurance.  So we had to convoy back to the company office and printout the documents and then convoy back(not exactly a pleasant drive in armored vehicles?).  "Just paperwork that can wait"?  Not for the embassy.  Based upon my experience(s)with US Embassy/Consulate the US Government will never vaccinate overseas Americans.  The only exceptions I see are for military retirees and/or retired federal workers.   

US Embassies are there to project US foreign policy interests in host countries.  Any ancillary "services" for citizens abroad are at best a second thought and seem to be self-funded via fees as opposed to being tax-payer funded.  Sort of sad, but it is what it is. 
I left. I've no plans to return.  I actually expect pretty much nothing except assistance with passports which totally fall within the purvey of the State Department and their embassies. 
But I believe that comparing the US and China's vaccine programs for their citizens aboard needs to be addressed.  Billions of USD in tax-payer funds are earmarked for foreign aid including vaccines, and yet the USG refuses to provide care for its own citizens during a global pandemic. 
And yet China does!  That's embarrassing.
I wish the US government would wake up and do the right thing for its own citizens for once and place US tax-payers interests before the rest of the globe..  It can provide $2 billion to GAVI though USAID to provide vaccines for foreign countries, but it can't provide the time of day for its US citizens abroad.1  Sad.

1. USAID to Provide Initial $2 Billion to Propel Global Access to COVID-19 Vaccines, Statement by USAID Acting Administrator Gloria Steele, Friday, February 19, 2021

• Thanks 1

For all those who plan to return to their home countries to get two shots.  When you get back add up all the expenses you incurred to travel back and forth and divide it by two.  I'm curious how much people are willing to pay per shot in order to feel safe while exposing themselves to various variants of SARS-coV-2 viruses at international airport hubs.  To me it's counter intuitive and Boy-Howdy those are gonna be two expensive shots.  But hey.  If it makes you feel safe, more power to ya'll.  Best of luck in your travels.  Let the rest of us know the cost per shot when you return!  ????

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, statman78 said:

I am in the process of getting my COE from the Thai embassy in the US.  I have submitted a copies of my passport, original visa, my latest extension based on retirement and re-entry permit. I received my initial approval and just submitted my flight details and proof of insurance coverage for COVID of $100,000.  This week I should know if that is everything.  In another thread there is a discussion about the need of having the 400k/40k insurance for hospitalization and out patient.

May I ask what company sold you the "insurance coverage for COVID of $100,000", whether it was Thai or American, and if there is part of a Thai government website that explains what they will accept? Thank you very much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Even more telling is when you compare new daily cases per capita (per million of population) since it puts all of those countries on an even footing for comparison, and only includes new cases which gives a better idea of how fast cases are increasing or decreasing.

WHen you look at this graph, there's no question that for an unvaccinated person, Thailand is the place to be if you are not yet vaccinated ????  (click on map for better resolution)

What's more, historically, Thailand has managed this pandemic FAR better than any of these other countries.

832357302_snapshot_2021-05-30at11_25_39AM.jpg.6f0fb84311c899d65540728e4b69a0c1.jpg

Yes but looking at the graph Thailand is increasing while others are declining. 

• Like 1

Been fine since the start, see no reason to panic or rush anywhere. Living in the sticks the exposure is minimal at best. I 'll get one when I can get what I want, even if it means paying for that option. I'm in no rush or need at the present time.

With others getting vaccinated the risk is ever reducing now.

Generally only leaving home for a grocery run, I dont see any impending doom that requires immediate action !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Enzian said:

May I ask what company sold you the "insurance coverage for COVID of $100,000", whether it was Thai or American, and if there is part of a Thai government website that explains what they will accept? Thank you very much.

I used a Thai company.  Tune Insurance Company Limited.  From what I read    you need to show the minimum coverage amount of $100,000 US or equivalent and it needs to cover you for your entire stay in Thailand.  In my case it needs to cover me until my current extension of stay expires at the end of January 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Antifreeze said:

Yes but looking at the graph Thailand is increasing while others are declining. 

Yes and in fact the end points for the lines of the US and Thailand are heading toward convergence. I daresay, looking at the LA Times update for the state of CA every day, that Alameda County (where I will go eventually) is presently even with or better than the inner Bangkok area, even accounting for the fact that I don't work on a construction site or in a factory.

• Like 1

I don't really see the need to leave. I've got an appointment for my first vaccine dose (AstraZeneca according to those doing the registration) here in Hua Hin in just over a month's time.

The only lingering doubt is over the availability of the vaccines at that point. However, since several batches of the locally-produced AZ vaccine have already passed muster in the US, Europe and Thailand, paving the way for full production to start, I think there's reason for optimism.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

5 hours ago, RobMuir said:

No tests in Britain in Jan 2020 and with a government in complete denial.

Luckily the crack Thai medics had already started preparing and were testing and found their first case on January 13 and the country jumped into action. 

Of course we now know by then it had already spread to Europe and elsewhere, but with no tests they had no cases. They paid the price for it though, especially Italy, France, Spain and the UK.

Thailand with their decisive actions, mask wearing, temperature checks, curfews and lockdowns etc largely escaped disaster.

Unfortunately they now have been caught off guard with this BritishB117 highly contagious mutant strain.

if the UK would of restricted travel it could have save the world a load of grief..

• Confused 1

From what I have read, getting vaccinated does reduce the risk of ICU level hospitalization. It does not appear to significantly reduce the risk of being ill due to catching it though. I prefer to continue living carefully - in terms of avoiding close proximity to others - and wait for J&J and for more of the general population to get  vacc'd. Being vaccinated is not a ticket to ride IMHO. It appears just to reduce the chance of severe illness, so in my mind it is better to avoid contracting it regardless of whether vaccinated or not.

Edited by OishiRefill

52 minutes ago, connda said:

For all those who plan to return to their home countries to get two shots.  When you get back add up all the expenses you incurred to travel back and forth and divide it by two.  I'm curious how much people are willing to pay per shot in order to feel safe while exposing themselves to various variants of SARS-coV-2 viruses at international airport hubs.  To me it's counter intuitive and Boy-Howdy those are gonna be two expensive shots.  But hey.  If it makes you feel safe, more power to ya'll.  Best of luck in your travels.  Let the rest of us know the cost per shot when you return!  ????

Japan airlines $800 dollars RT BKK to SFO and fly into Phuket on return , Chump Change 

I am trying to time it right so as to return back to the States for a family visit and to finally get vaccinated. I think if I wait until September/ October, COVID will be subsiding and I may be able to return without COE, quarantine and other BS.

My Worries about being vaccinated in Thailand are the following:

I do not trust the Sinovac.

I do trust the AZ, but the USA vaccines have greater efficacy and seem to have less side affects.

Lastly, quality control in the manufacturing and dispensary process. Vaccines have a very short shelf life and if great care is not taken in controlling the temperature and so forth, who knows what you’re getting?

• Like 2

I've been back in the UK for a few months. 2 x Pfizer jabs plus a booster promised. Not fully up-to-date in LOS laws . I have valid non O which expires in November, (have multiple re-entry)so need to return Oct latest. For me quarantine is a minor issue but cannot find insurance 100k for over 75s and for how long do I need it? . If correct ALL over 75s are effectively barred from entering Thailand. Info on this appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Then you don't know if you had Covid.

If you would like to know if you have had Covid, you can do a simple blood test which will confirm it, but to suggest you had it, is not confirmation, respectfully.

I also came down with a shocker of a respiratory infection that knocked me off of my feet, and could suggest that I had Covid if I didn't go to get it checked out, but no, I went to a private hospital and found out that it was a severe chest infection was prescribed a course of antbiotics and inhaler and was better within no time.

The antibodies don't last forever.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't really worry me.

I have no fear of COVID or of death, I've had my time and am satisfied with it.

I wouldn't want a lingering and painful end, but there are plenty of hotels with balconies to choose from.

My Thai misses is a far worse COVID anti-vaxxer than me, she says no way they are going to inject her, and most of her Thai LINE pals feel the same way. I seriously doubt Thailand is going to force even 25% of it's population to be vaccinated.

ThaiVISA claims a large elderly membership, I'm surprised more members haven't had serious COVID or long-COVID, and posted about their treatment, let alone members like me claiming non-serious COVID. If so few of us have had it, or claimed to have had it, maybe it isn't that serious?

The point I was making is, you shouldn't post that you had Covid, mild or otherwise, unless you have been tested, then others might be able to know what to expect, noting that that everybody will experience it differently, depending on their immune system and the exposure/strain to Covid that they are exposed to.

Everything else you mentioned has no relevance so to speak, however I will accept that you didn't have Covid as it was never officially confirmed and that you have had a good life and are ready to go when your time is up.

However  I'm an avid follower of UK covid statistics. The UK (Kent) variant has been overpowered. Currently the Indian. 1617.2 strain has 75% of new infections and much more transmitable and  evasive. Most cases are in unvaccinated but younger people are now being infected. Thailand has this variant but yet to experience this. A rise in cases seems inevitable considering the huge comparible difference in vaccinations. Would like to be wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

Some feedback for you. My daughter, aged 40, living in the UK caught Covid. Was ill for six weeks with tiredness, bad headaches etc, but luckily did not progress to requiring hospitalisation. Her children were also infected, but did not experience major illness. Personally I believe anyone downplaying the risk of Covid really needs to taken into account the number of deaths and severe consequences for some with ongoing health issues. As an example let's not forget the US is currently tracking at approx 590,000 deaths from Covid and associated complications, with additional deaths in the hundreds every day, primarily due to downplaying of risk with millions suckered in with the BS.

Thanks for that.

Has she made a full recovery and has she been vaccinated now ?

Yes getting caught up or suckered into the BS isn't hard to do, been there, done that, but have managed to remain focused on the science and those kind enough on the forum to help steer me into the right direction, they know who they are, the keyboard don't really do any justice, actually they are quite shallow.

I know it's real, it's out their and there is a lot of fear, the media doesn't help the situation and neither does a government (military) who isn't equipped to handle such a situation, which just creates more fear as people are anxious.

For me and the family, we are in rural Thailand, we are not that social and have a big enough place to chill while the kids are on school holidays, I suppose the lockdown last year taught us how to cope, albeit it almost broke me, that said, the occasional weekly escape sinking a few beers with the boys does help, although not allowed, we are outdoors and keep our distance, that said, allowing people to eat indoors in restaurants as opposed to what we do once is a week just doesn't make sense. We are responsible people, but then again, I suppose they have to draw the line as there are a lot of people who don't toe the line. 

29 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

I've been back in the UK for a few months. 2 x Pfizer jabs plus a booster promised. Not fully up-to-date in LOS laws . I have valid non O which expires in November, (have multiple re-entry)so need to return Oct latest. For me quarantine is a minor issue but cannot find insurance 100k for over 75s and for how long do I need it? . If correct ALL over 75s are effectively barred from entering Thailand. Info on this appreciated. 

It says up to 99 years old here

(Covid insurance).

Edited by jacko45k

24 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Has she made a full recovery and has she been vaccinated now

Thanks for asking - yes recovered. Not vaccinated as yet as now has immunity for a while

• Like 1

"For all those who plan to return to their home countries to get two shots.  When you get back add up all the expenses you incurred to travel back and forth and divide it by two.  I'm curious how much people are willing to pay per shot in order to feel safe while exposing themselves to various variants of SARS-coV-2 viruses at international airport hubs.  To me it's counter intuitive and Boy-Howdy those are gonna be two expensive shots.  But hey.  If it makes you feel safe, more power to ya'll.  Best of luck in your travels.  Let the rest of us know the cost per shot when you return!  "

Already did the calculation:  between $2500 to $3000 Did quarantine once in Feb and  the only expense that is already paid for is the Upgraded OA+COE insurance.  It could be less if I stay at a cheap ASQ hotel but "you get what you pay for".  

1. Return portion of the Airfare:  $400

2. RT-PCR Test in the US $175

3. ASQ Hotel :      I paid $1400 in Feb 2021 for 15 days. I figure I could get a similar deal

4. Grocery and Food delivered from Grab and Food Panda $200(this is what I spent last time).

5. Covid 19 Vaccine: $0

Estimated total :  $2175(probably will be more).  

Also, flights will not be much fuller than Feb(approximately 30 to 40 per flight on a B777-300ER and an A350-900 ULR). 

The airports were like ghost towns(ICN and SIN).  

It will be worth it in my case.  Also, I might not come back(this is a always possibility).  

So if you break it down per shot:  $1100????

Each of us has our own reasons for making this type of Vaccine Journey.  In my case I can afford it without impacting my lifestyle.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

"For all those who plan to return to their home countries to get two shots.  When you get back add up all the expenses you incurred to travel back and forth and divide it by two.  I'm curious how much people are willing to pay per shot in order to feel safe while exposing themselves to various variants of SARS-coV-2 viruses at international airport hubs.  To me it's counter intuitive and Boy-Howdy those are gonna be two expensive shots.  But hey.  If it makes you feel safe, more power to ya'll.  Best of luck in your travels.  Let the rest of us know the cost per shot when you return!  "

Already did the calculation:  between $2500 to $3000 Did quarantine once in Feb and  the only expense that is already paid for is the Upgraded OA+COE insurance.  It could be less if I stay at a cheap ASQ hotel but "you get what you pay for".  

1. Return portion of the Airfare:  $400

2. RT-PCR Test in the US $175

3. ASQ Hotel :      I paid $1400 in Feb 2021 for 15 days. I figure I could get a similar deal

4. Grocery and Food delivered from Grab and Food Panda $200(this is what I spent last time).

5. Covid 19 Vaccine: $0

Estimated total :  $2175(probably will be more).  

Also, flights will not be much fuller than Feb(approximately 30 to 40 per flight on a B777-300ER and an A350-900 ULR). 

The airports were like ghost towns(ICN and SIN).  

It will be worth it in my case.  Also, I might not come back(this is always possibility).  

So if you break it down per shot:  $1100????

Nice breakdown.  Thanks for sharing!  ????

I think if I wait until September/ October, COVID will be subsiding and I may be able to return without COE, quarantine and other BS."

I am looking at mid August or early September for similar reason plus football season and hope to catch a Rams game at SoFi stadium.  Also, haven't been to Dodgers stadium in years.