Foreigners in Thailand urged to register for COVID-19 vaccine

webfact

Just came from Market Village in Hua Hin. They are still registering expats for vaccine. They do give a definite appointment date and time. Don't know how long this will last? Best go now if you want a place in line? 

The Netherlands just issued notice they would not recognise sinopac vaccine as an acceptable vaccine for entering the Netherlands without restriction requirements. Other countries in Europe plan to follow suit. 

Will the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines be made available at a later date on one's own bill ? Thank you

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JDJBali said:

The Netherlands just issued notice they would not recognise sinopac vaccine as an acceptable vaccine for entering the Netherlands without restriction requirements. Other countries in Europe plan to follow suit. 

Will the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines be made available at a later date on one's own bill ? Thank you

No surprise there.  The EU has been debating this for a while, and if the Netherlands have made it official, I have a feeling all other countries will as well. 

That's probably the main reason I plan to go the private hospital route for my vaccination.

The Private Hospital Association of Thailand is in the process of ordering Moderna for private hospitals to administer (for pay), possibly as early as August, according to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital. 

I registered with them the other day, and you should too if you are in the Pattaya area.  Just send an email to them at [email protected] and request that they send you a registration form.

If outside of Pattaya, just check with private hospitals in your region.

Edited by WaveHunter

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

No surprise there.  The EU has been debating this for a while, and if the Netherlands have made it official, I have a feeling all other countries will as well. 

That's probably the main reason I plan to go the private hospital route for my vaccination.

The Private Hospital Association of Thailand is in the process of ordering Moderna for private hospitals to administer (for pay), possibly as early as August, according to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital. 

I registered with them the other day, and you should too if you are in the Pattaya area.  Just send an email to them at [email protected] and request that they send you a registration form.

Where do you get with this email address?? Serious Q?

19 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

This was the idea before, but has been stymied by the Govt. All requests for private purchases of any vaccine must be approved by the Govt (which they are not doing at this time). 

Edited by couchpotato
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jomtienisgood said:

Where do you get with this email address?? Serious Q?

Are you asking where I got the email address?  I got it from a telephone conversation with an administrator at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital. 

I know it seems odd that a hospital would use a hotmail account instead of an account on their own server; surprised me too, but they do. ????

21 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

This was the idea before, but has been stymied by the Govt. All requests for private purchases of any vaccine must be approved by the Govt (which they are not doing at this time).

You need to catch up on current events if you are saying that about Thai private hospitals. 

The government formally agreed to allow the Private Hospital Association of Thailand to procure vaccines through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) a week or so before.

Naturally there was a lot of confusion and what seemed to be flip-flopping by government authorities on this initially but it is now reality.

To start, the Private Hospital Association is in the process of ordering around 5 million doses of Moderna right now for its' 200 member private hospitals.  First jabs for pay may be as early as August.

Stay current through the government's official CCSA daily briefings becuase everything is rapidly changing from one day to the next now.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

You need to catch up on current events if you are saying that about Thai private hospitals. 

The government agreed to let them procure vaccine a couple of weeks ago through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), and the Private Hospital Association of Thailand is in the process of ordering around 5 million doses of Moderna right now for its' 200 member private hospitals.

Actually you need to keep up with current events.  They are still in price negotiations but the headlines from the government last week  was it was a done deal at 3500 THB for 2 shots. Its hard to keep up with all the lies

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, club said:

Actually you need to keep up with current events.  They are still in price negotiations but the headlines from the government last week  was it was a done deal at 3500 THB for 2 shots. Its hard to keep up with all the lies

Look, I spoke with an administrator at the hospital only two days ago, and am receiving email follow ups on my registration process for the last couple of days, so I know that the government approved it, the procurement is in the works, and the hospital is preparing for a rollout for pay as early as August.

Of course they are in a price negotiation phase right now.  So what?  That kind of supports the fact that the government has indeed approved sales to private hospitals, wouldn't you say?

As for your claim that the government is spreading lies based on occasional inaccurate press releases, well, I won't even justify that with a response.

Edited by WaveHunter

On 5/31/2021 at 5:44 AM, nightfox said:

Il register as soon as Phizer and Moderna are available thanks.

Then you'll have to pay for it. 

Just now, balo said:

Then you'll have to pay for it. 

Anticipated price will be around 3000 THB.  That's not exactly going to break the bank for most expats who easily spend that much on beer alone LOL ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Look, I spoke with an administrator at the hospital only two days ago, and am receiving email follow ups on my registration process for the last couple of days, so I know that the government approved it, the procurement is in the works, and the hospital is preparing for a rollout for pay as early as August.

Of course they are in a price negotiation phase right now.  So what?  That kind of supports the fact that the government has indeed approved sales to private hospitals, wouldn't you say?

As for your claim that the government is spreading lies based on occasional inaccurate press releases, well, I won't even justify that with a response.

You will be waiting for one jab of Sinovac or AZ

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Anticipated price will be around 3000 THB.

It depends which hospital you go to. Some charge a lot more than that .

But for 3000 baht expats can afford it or they shouldn't be living here. 

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

It's two jabs of Moderna, but believe what you wish since you've obviously made your mind up.

It might be what you want but what you will get is Thailand's favorite Vaccine Sinovac. One jab

3 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

Just came from Market Village in Hua Hin. They are still registering expats for vaccine. They do give a definite appointment date and time. Don't know how long this will last? Best go now if you want a place in line? 

How can they give you an appointment date when:-

They have no vaccine.

They have no idea when they will receive the vaccine.

At least the hospital I went to in Phuket was honest. They took my name and contact details and said that they will give me an appointment as soon as a vaccine is delivered. They didn't even know what vaccine they would be allowed to buy, but, they did expect a delivery of vaccine sometime in June.

We shall see.

1 minute ago, balo said:

It depends which hospital you go to. Some charge a lot more than that .

But for 3000 baht expats can afford it or they shouldn't be living here. 

Well actually I believe part of the negotiations going on right now involve setting a unified price for all private hospitals to adhere to.

As for the price, whether it's 3,000 THB or even a little more, I would much rather pay a premium for a Western brand, and also avoid all the chaos that's sure to accompany the public rollout, even if I had to wait longer (and I don't think we'll be waiting that long actually).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, club said:

It might be what you want but what you will get is Thailand's favorite Vaccine Sinovac. One jab

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how unfounded it seems to be.

However, the fact is that the order for Moderna is already in progress, and the private hospitals are only now involved to meet the needs of those who wish to pay SPECIFICALLY for a Western alternative to SInoVac or AZ. 

I think you're arguing just to play devil's advocate, and I'm not a fan of wasting my time with that sort of thing...so I think I'll just say Bye!

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well actually I believe part of the negotiations going on right now involve setting a unified price for all private hospitals to adhere to.

As for the price, whether it's 3,000 THB or even a little more, I would much rather pay a premium for a Western brand, and also avoid all the chaos that's sure to accompany the public rollout, even if I had to wait longer (and I don't think we'll be waiting that long actually).

You will never see a USA vaccine in Thailand at least this year and maybe never. Remember who is better friends with China. Thailand

On 5/31/2021 at 12:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You may have failed to recognise that ThaiVisa is not a unified group, separate people with different arguments - there is no hypocrisy. 

There is most certainly a group who will find anything something negative about anything Thai, but that is a minor but vocal minority. 

Regarding vaccines opinions seem to fall into a few separate groups: 

1) Those who are Anti-vaccine (a rather vocal minority) 

2) Those who are pro-vaccines but anti-covid-vaccines (another vocal minority)

3) Those who don’t mind waiting for their vaccines whichever brand.

4) Those who don’t mind waiting for a specific brand of vaccine

4) Those who want any vaccine as soon as possible and are complaining that the Thai roll out is not fast enough. 

I think most reasonable people are in group 3 or 4 but thats not really a group with a strong voice as the voice of balance is rarely a topical point of discussion. 

Here here well said chappie

In the meantime we officially heard about delay of jabs / recommendation to sqeeze 12 shots out of a vial (instead of 10 standard) and now we read with bewilderment that the Siam BS plant (BioScience for that) has massive contracts with the Phillipines which can also not be attended to adequately. Anyway, what to do for Siam BS - give the AZ stuff for free to the TH population or export it on a good dollar basis? 

The estimated number of expats living in Thailand has always been contested, and since Covid even more so. It is estimated to be as low as 157,000 expats, according to the Thailand Migration Report 2019, and as high as perhaps 2 million according to other sources.

Whatever the actual number is, it's for certain that there will be more than enough Western vaccine (Moderna) to meet the expat demand if 5 million doses are delivered!

To say that an expats chances of receiving a Western vaccination from a private hospital are worse than winning the lottery is simply nonsense with nothing at all to back it up!

Furthermore, there is absolutely no evidence that there will not be future orders; if there is a demand, there will be a supply.  That's how commercial enterprise works, and private hospitals are indeed commercial enterprises.