WHO approves Sinovac COVID vaccine

Fromas

"WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization (SAGE) has also completed its review of the vaccine. On the basis of available evidence, WHO recommends the vaccine for use in adults 18 years and older, in a two-dose schedule with a spacing of two to four weeks. Vaccine efficacy results showed that the vaccine prevented symptomatic disease in 51% of those vaccinated and prevented severe COVID-19 and hospitalization in 100% of the studied population.

Few older adults (over 60 years) were enrolled in clinical trials, so efficacy could not be estimated in this age group. Nevertheless, WHO is not recommending an upper age limit for the vaccine because data collected during subsequent use in multiple countries and supportive immunogenicity data suggest the vaccine is likely to have a protective effect in older persons. There is no reason to believe that the vaccine has a different safety profile in older and younger populations. "

https://worldhealthorganization.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/d/0104A200C64742492540EF23F30FEDED/AC076E125A0888106B5BE456C00C2519

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

So, from the Reuters article linked we get....

The WHO said results showed it prevented symptomatic disease in 51% of those vaccinated and prevented severe COVID-19 and hospitalisation in 100% of the studied population.

and

Indonesia said on May 12 that its study of 120,000 healthcare workers who had received the vaccine found it was 94% effective at preventing symptomatic disease.

Both of these things cannot be true.  Which one is, uh, let's say... mistaken?

If it looks like either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine will be an option by the time the free Sinovac or AZ vaccine is offered to me  - even if the Pfizer/Moderna is 3k THB - I would go ahead and do the Pfizer/Moderna shot.  It's what I'd prefer and it would free up a free vaccine dose for someone else.

But...

If the Sinovac or AZ vaccine end up the only options over the next 6 months then I'll probably do whichever is offered.  A 50/50 chance of getting mild symptomatic Covid is better than nothing, especially if it's 100% effective at preventing severe Covid and death.  I'd also think it's better to be a part of the solution rather than sit on the sidelines yelling about how only the mRNA vaccine is good enough and moaning about how terrible it is that privileged expats can't get what we want.  Waaaa!

9 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

51% of those vaccinated and prevented severe COVID-19 and hospitalisation in 100% of the studied population

That 51% / 100% result is from a Phase 3 study in Brazil. The test subjects were (at least 9000 out of 13000) front line medical workers, which put them in high exposure environments.

Edited by Fromas
  • Like 1

Don't dismiss the AZ vaccine I've had 2 doses and the only side effects i have had is a taste of EU produced sour grapes in my mouth and a sore right arm from waving the poles and Romanians good bye at the bus stop

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1