Traffic fines: Here's what you must pay - including 500 baht for "undertaking"

webfact

20 hours ago, Smithson said:

For the cases below, it shouldn't be just a fine, the rider/driver shouldn't be allowed to ride away.

unroadworthy vehicle 400 baht

Having no registration plate 500 baht

Contravening emissions regulations 1,000 baht

Having no licence to show 200 baht

If a vehicle ir unroadworthy or not registered or the driver/rider unlicensed it/they shouldn't be on the road full stop. The normal procedure in most countries is you have to collect it later. This is a real inconvenience often worse than the fine. It would be a better deterrent.

image.jpeg.5c3473a3380417715b68eee03e345cfe.jpeg

55 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

When a police officer issues a ticket for an offence he is entitled to claim 95% of the ticketed fine. The other 5% goes to the government. The 95% is divided up between the issuing officer and the pool of officers in non front line rolls.

pardon me ?

anything to support this interesting line of thought  ?

• Like 1

There is enough money in fines ther4e to make Thailand one of the richest countries in the world.

As for Thai's believing its ok to  pass on the left ( undertaking), it just goes to prove they  know nothing of the highway code there fore should not be operating any  vehicle on the road

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WineOh said:

what's the fine for driving with 3 gas canisters and a 60 inch telly on the back of a honda wave???
(observed driving down my soi this morning). 

You can observe them every day delivering gas to restaurants in bkk .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

The reason I usually undertake is usually cos some Moron is driving in the right lane... and won't get out of the way...

Most of the time these 1 ton trucks (fitted with 3 ton springs), are so overweight with the likes of durian piled high, with restricted steering being so heavy on the rear, it appears that if they were to change lanes, they would just topple over, IMO it is safer to undertake  than daring them to get over to the left. 

'Undertaking" hmm, So how is it when you have no choice because the "gentleman!" driving in the outside is thinking of his U turn in the next 10 kilometers. or the overladen veg truck, cannot stand the bumps, or The bus, truck driver feels he is more important than anyone else and finally the red plate driver or Hi-So wants to show you his car! is cool and 45 kph makes sure you can see it! So we all have to break the law? Oh I forgot the scooter with and without sidecar who thinks crawling along out there is safer for everyone!Thai woman is unbothered as she rides a motorbike hands-freeVIDEO: Reckless Thai Van Forces Lorry Into A Ditch Just To Overtake - Auto  News - Carlist.my10,448 Bus Thailand Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime

Edited by phetpeter
  • Like 2

Would scary driving be considered for those motorcycles that drive towards the incoming traffic and with no crash helmets and anything from two-up to four up including kids and or carrying a load of things on the back such as boxes,gas canisters, food items, and many other things that should not be on a motorcycle. Also the numbers that drive around on mobile phones and much more that are all just accidents waiting to happen.

There are many traffic violations here in Thailand on a daily basis and not all are members of the public. I have seen cops also do many wrong things when driving here. They all need some sharp lessons in how to drive in a proper manner. Believe me it is not a pleasant thing to go to a multiple road traffic accident and see the carnage that it creates. Nor is the task of going to someone's relatives to tell them that they will never return home again. Just another money making opportunity for the cops in many ways. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Using an unroadworthy vehicle 400 baht

Not following the instructions of traffic signs 500 baht

Negligent or "scary" driving 400 baht

Driving on the footpath 500 baht

Illegal use of mobile phones (without such things as hands free devices) 400 baht

Illegally stopping in restricted areas 300 baht

Finally, they said that there was a 500 baht fine for overtaking on the left a practice known as undertaking. 

Okay, so... if you race your unroadworthy Toyota Vios with a souped-up engine that spews thick black smoke down a footpath while talking on your mobile phone, undertake several motorcycles in the process, then disregard the no-parking sign before parking on said footpath while at the same time having neither a registration plate nor a driving license, you'll be fined the unimaginable fortune of... let me quickly calculate... 4,700 baht.

Wow! That's really gonna hurt! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KKr said:

pardon me ?

anything to support this interesting line of thought  ?

It wasn't/isn't a line of thought. It is fact and was shown to be so on this forum. 

Under the Article 44 order, the Department of Land Transport will get 5 per cent of each traffic fine and pass on the rest of the fine money to traffic police

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309980

Resist the fines with all the power within your being. It usually works! I have been pulled over many times and asked to pay fines. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I do not. I always argue. I always give them a very hard time, here. Of course we cannot get away with his in our home countries. But, since we know where the money is going here, we can argue with the local franchisee, about his "tip". Usually it results in paying significantly less. Sometimes, the cop gets so annoyed he tells me to leave. And I escalate it up the chain of command, if need be.

Never gotten in trouble, so the PC brigade does not need to chime in on this one. The laws are so arbitrary here, and so unevenly applied, they deserve resistance!

3 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I'm OK with all but the undertaking one, I hope they don't apply it to bikes weaving through traffic, but I expect they will.

But there won't be anyone watching!

22 hours ago, Smithson said:

For the cases below, it shouldn't be just a fine, the rider/driver shouldn't be allowed to ride away.

unroadworthy vehicle 400 baht

If a vehicle ir unroadworthy or not registered or the driver/rider unlicensed it/they shouldn't be on the road full stop. The normal procedure in most countries is you have to collect it later. This is a real inconvenience often worse than the fine. It would be a better deterrent.

dont give them ideas.. please go home and let us enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!