Mystery deaths on Koh Tao: Billionaire hotel and factory owners found dead in hotel pool

webfact

37 minutes ago, Ddbanksy said:

Probably can't swim?

The simplest answer is very often the right one.

Sadly, there are many on this forum who cannot stomach the possibility that the RTP could just be right!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Sadly, there are many on this forum who cannot stomach the possibility that the RTP could just be right!

Possibly...  but as you say... the simplest answer is very often the right one....  the police can’t be bothered to investigate, or, the police have been paid to look the other way...  etc etc there are lots of ‘simplest answers’... 

Given the islands history of ‘lethal incidents’ the announcement that the 'Police have initially determined it was a tragic accident was extremely premature and the comments which have implied something more nefarious completely understandable. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I can read, I have read the article and I know what it said.   It's not a difficult article to understand, neither is it ambiguous in any way about the ongoing investigation.

"Thai meaning, same same, initial and conclusion, anything more than that would be considered work".

Did you get that highly amusing quip off a T-shirt?   

Sadly, that's just your cynical interpretation of something that hasn't happened that way in this case that some would refer to as gratuitous Thai-bashing.

I’m just curious... Would you consider it Thai-bashing when a Thai has a very similar opinion of the questionable standards within the Thai Police force ??

Some people do use any opportunity to Thai-bash. Yet this story most certainly raises eyebrows. It also raises the question as to whether or not these deaths will be investigated honestly. Thai’s will naturally have the same suspicions.

Call it a ’Thai bash’ but the Thai Police are not exactly shining beacons of integrity and professionalism.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m just curious... Would you consider it Thai-bashing when a Thai has a very similar opinion of the questionable standards within the Thai Police force ??

Some people do use any opportunity to Thai-bash. Yet this story most certainly raises eyebrows. It also raises the question as to whether or not these deaths will be investigated honestly. Thai’s will naturally have the same suspicions.

Call it a ’Thai bash’ but the Thai Police are not exactly shining beacons of integrity and professionalism.

"Would you consider it Thai-bashing when a Thai has a very similar opinion"

Yes.

"Yet this story most certainly raises eyebrows".

Really?  I disagree.  The OP and the link were succinct enough, what part of the story, rationally, raises your eyebrows?  

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it does not indicate that, at all, no mention is made of his making phone calls.

Ah, so you think he took a taxi to the hospital to alert them then?

8 hours ago, suckadave said:

Theres no beach around there. You have to take a boat from the hotel to Haad tien. 

And the hotel staff woyldnt have been there. They are short staffed right now so staff doesnt show up until 4pm. I was there for new years

There are steps down from the hotel to a very small private beach, photos of it on the website. The son could well have been there and just walked back up again.

9 hours ago, A Los for words said:

They should rename Koh Tao 'Midsomer'. Just as many deaths but at least then Barnaby would solve it.

Columbo would definitely solve it

11 hours ago, chmeatloaf said:

you are lucky enough to be staying legally in Thailand. Police we have come in contact have been extremely helpful and dedicated in their jobs and responsibility. Perhaps, the police in your home country have sowed doubts into you long before you came here.

Frankly your comment is just a bad joke to most people who live here. I'll put it down to very limited interaction with the BIB. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

Luxury hotel pool with no CCTV?

<deleted>

With CCTV but they were not working, why do they never work when you need them most?

"Col Kriangkrai explained that the CCTV cameras near the pool were broken at the time of the incident so there was no footage showing what exactly happened."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-hotel-owner-and-his-wife-found-dead-on-koh-tao-80243.php

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How deep is that pool? I have never seen any pools more than 150 cm deep in Thailand. One person could possibly drown, if experiencing a condition during swimming, but two persons at the same time would be close to impossible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Would you consider it Thai-bashing when a Thai has a very similar opinion"

Yes.

A bit rich and somewhat ‘apologist’.... 

The implication you seem to make is that anyone with a criticism of the professionalism and corruptibility of the Thai police is ‘Thai Bashing’ whether that person is Thai or a foreigner ???

A rather myopic and flawed outlook which kneecaps a perfectly rational and common sense viewpoint... no opinion can be negative lest it be considered 'Thai Bashing’ - the virtue signalling is rather naive and boresome. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Hey, it's Koh Tao.  Wonder what odds the bookies would offer?  Then I wonder about the odds of getting a slanted post-mortem if it's done locally...

And a reminder that there's lots of money at play here to skew the outcome.

Edited by impulse
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Accident

Case closed...

I seriously can't believe people are still going to the Island of death.

Less now due to  Covid. But only a few people on this forum  call it death Island..Most people  I know adore the place and consider it safer than their home countries..as for the  cops..less corrupt  and violent  than the American  police  given recent  events

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit rich and somewhat ‘apologist’.... 

The implication you seem to make is that anyone with a criticism of the professionalism and corruptibility of the Thai police is ‘Thai Bashing’ whether that person is Thai or a foreigner ???

A rather myopic and flawed outlook which kneecaps a perfectly rational and common sense viewpoint... no opinion can be negative lest it be considered 'Thai Bashing’ - the virtue signalling is rather naive and boresome. 

Derek Chauvin being a case  in point. Just because we criticized  an American  police man for murder on video doesn't mean we are America bashing.

Edited by The Hammer2021

22 minutes ago, Xonax said:

How deep is that pool? I have never seen any pools more than 150 cm deep in Thailand. One person could possibly drown, if experiencing a condition during swimming, but two persons at the same time would be close to impossible. 

The pool that they were found is was a scuba dive training pool. 3 meters deep.

It was supposed to be closed.

Not 'close to impossible'. Try to imagine this :-

Wife falls in, cannot swim. Husband jumps in to try and save her - cannot swim.

Many people around the world drown whilst trying to save others.

I am not pretending that this is what happened. Just saying.

PS. My company cleans swimming pools. Most are more than 1.5 meters deep at the deep end.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xonax said:

You can drown in a few inches of water..Next!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, tracker1 said:

There are quite a few of them ! call them the 'deniers' some don't even reside here only come here for the booze and babes !

The booze and babes crowd..don't knock em...they don't get involved in echo chambers forums...but go go to  Koh Tao and have a great  time. A beautiful  time. They visit Thailand  not headlines about Thailand..

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:
29 minutes ago, Xonax said:

You can drown in a few inches of water..Next!

But two people at the same time ?????

You obviously have an interest in the story otherwise you wouldn’t be commenting...  same as everyone else.

So...  are you really ready to write off the whole incident as an accident ??? that simply? nothing suspicious ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I hope you are not seriously defending the ‘honesty and professionalism’ of the Thai Police force with an example that unprofessionalism exists elsewhere ??

Not defending not accusing. What makes you an expert  on Thai police corruption and why are you so selective and one sided? You seek to  demonize public servants here by de contextualising their actions from police forces around the world. Compared to American cops how many Thai police kill unarmed people on a regular basis? Most people who talk about brown envelopes  and police corruption  are just gossips unable to put their own culture  or country under scrutiny. The Thais just make an easy target

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

That could have been also the reason,

why the son did not immediately jump into the pool,

but instead called the hotel staff:

Enough experience with the work quality of Southeast-Asian “electricians” ????

Did not want to contaminate a possible  crime scene with his own DNA?

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Did not want to contaminate a possible  crime scene with his own DNA?

"Having returned, the man with shock discovered his parents lying on the bottom of the pool. Mr Ratish called hotel staff for help and took his parents out of the water."

The Phuket News

52 minutes ago, Xonax said:

There are pools with deep ends.  My last condo pool had a deep end and so does my current one.  Both older condo projects.  New and newer condo projects seem to favor pools of around 120 cm deep.