Mystery deaths on Koh Tao: Billionaire hotel and factory owners found dead in hotel pool

webfact

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit rich and somewhat ‘apologist’.... 

The implication you seem to make is that anyone with a criticism of the professionalism and corruptibility of the Thai police is ‘Thai Bashing’ whether that person is Thai or a foreigner ???

A rather myopic and flawed outlook which kneecaps a perfectly rational and common sense viewpoint... no opinion can be negative lest it be considered 'Thai Bashing’ - the virtue signalling is rather naive and boresome. 

Derek Chauvin being a case  in point. Just because we criticized  an American  police man for murder on video doesn't mean we are America bashing.

Agreed... thats my point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's notorious southern  island of Koh Tao in Surat Thani is back in the news again.

Yesterday two extremely wealthy Thais of Indonesian heritage were found drowned in a luxury hotel pool.

Police have initially determined it was a tragic accident. Their son found the bodies after he went for a walk

Here we go again. Tragic accident. Usual family and bent police.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to think this was accidental drowning. The son is already rich and would be stupid to attempt to kill his parents in a hotel pool with cctv. He would also know that in any suspicious death he would be the number one suspect. If it was electrical fault, that should have already been reported. ie - had to turn off power to retrieve bodies. 

The deceased may have thought the pool wasn't deep and one went in and panicked and the spouse went in to save them.

Pool drownings are very common and just because it happens on Murder Island, doesn't make it a murder.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, chmeatloaf said:

you are lucky enough to be staying legally in Thailand. Police we have come in contact have been extremely helpful and dedicated in their jobs and responsibility. Perhaps, the police in your home country have sowed doubts into you long before you came here.

All the cool kids around here like to bash the police, some use Uber words to describe them 

like "plod" to give the illusion that they truly are 1%ers, whereas they are just desperately 

harvesting "likes" on a forum largely inhabited by bitter old losers.

Having got over my rant, this case does read like a plot from the anglo/french TV show "death in paradise" where the parents went for a walk and returned to find his parents dead or dying

in the pool. Incredible to believe that sequence of events and 

the police seem not to have done any real investigation.

Edited by shy coconut
Addition

3 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

All the cool kids around here like to bash the police, some use Uber words to describe them 

like "plod"

more like 'feds' nowadays..................

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I'm inclined to think this was accidental drowning. The son is already rich and would be stupid to attempt to kill his parents in a hotel pool with cctv. He would also know that in any suspicious death he would be the number one suspect. If it was electrical fault, that should have already been reported. ie - had to turn off power to retrieve bodies. 

The deceased may have thought the pool wasn't deep and one went in and panicked and the spouse went in to save them.

Pool drownings are very common and just because it happens on Murder Island, doesn't make it a murder.

Correct, suicide is usually the verdict. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that there maybe more to this than meets the eye. 

I call the place Killagains Island, after Gilligains Island. 

As for the CCTV where is the footage? 

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

Both drowned at the same time? it has to be a lot more to it than just an "accidental death".. No way Jose...

this was NOT a accidental death any police would check who was last to see them ALIVE and very strange he found them dead? too,  now lets see if they do a exam   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not defending not accusing. What makes you an expert  on Thai police corruption and why are you so selective and one sided? You seek to  demonize public servants here by de contextualising their actions from police forces around the world. Compared to American cops how many Thai police kill unarmed people on a regular basis? Most people who talk about brown envelopes  and police corruption  are just gossips unable to put their own culture  or country under scrutiny. The Thais just make an easy target

Thai police are not so bad, problem is most westerners  just cant get their heads around the fact that the police are working to a completely different script than the police back home . You are not the people who will change things, it's better you learn how the system works and integrate accordingly. Its not that difficult (or expensive) to keep the BiB sweet 

Conversely I  its quite difficult and very expensive to keep western police sweet ,  Imagine what would happen to you in the U.K. for example if you were to offer a police officer a small amount of money say £25  to overlook a motoring offence.

Give me the Thai way any day ,  for those that don't agree I suggest you learn some Thai and make some Thai friends (ideally policemen) life really gets easier , and its more fun than moaning on here

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I am surprised that people still go there. Quite obviously this island has its own set of everything; not my circus, not my monkey! 

Well looks like people do go there, but the same number do not come back alive sadly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Where did you get that information? 3 meters deep, certainly does not look it

No photo description available.

https://www.facebook.com/JAMAHKIRI/photos/2427916687265907

From the hotel's website:
"To ensure convenience, safety and comfort, beginner and refresher divers conduct skill practice here in our majestically appointed swimming pool, which features a large shallow area for practicing basic skills and a 2 (m) deep section for perfecting buoyancy and swimming skills."

• Like 1