Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Mystery deaths on Koh Tao: Billionaire hotel and factory owners found dead in hotel pool

webfact

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

You are so obviously not a resident in Thailand. Or if you are you must walk around all Day wearing those Rose Tinted Glasses that many talk about.

There are quite a few of them ! call them the 'deniers' some don't even reside here only come here for the booze and babes !

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Pathetic isnt it? Police determined it was a tragic accident.

Of course they did, anything else would mean the lazy sods would have to do some work.

Yep... oh dear next case.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Governments should issue a warning to keep away from the place

Of the 18 how many were actually murdered?

Sound like the majority died from accidents, after all the ocean is a dangerous playground,  especially if drugs and alcohol is involved. 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Of course they did, anything else would mean the lazy sods would have to do some work.

"Police have initially determined it was a tragic accident"

One has to assume the word "initially" is missing from your vocabulary.

No doubt the term "flip flop" will be shouted from the rooftops should it prove to be something else.

If you want pathetic, look closer to home.

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Drowning in a pool is most certainly possible and apparently this one was around 2 meters so it's feasible. But you question whether 2 people can drown. That is also feasible.

If one party got into difficulties and the other attempted to help them, it can be a double tragedy waiting to happen. A trained rescuer is taught to be very wary of the victim panicking and grabbing hold of the rescuer. This can result in both parties struggling to survive.

Trained rescuers learn to keep clear of the victim, even by pushing or kicking them away if necessary and endeavor to restrain the victim from behind. An untrained rescuer would not be aware of the dangers.

I can easily visualize how this tragedy occurred and yes, I have taken both Royal Life Saving Institute training and the PADI rescue diver courses.

First thing i would do is yell and scream for help,no one around?Very strange.

I can imagine if they were the only two people in the pool and somehow they got electrocuted they both would be killed at the same time and not be able to call out for help.

That would be imo the only scenario here ,if there was no foul play.

30 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Drowning in a pool is most certainly possible and apparently this one was around 2 meters so it's feasible. But you question whether 2 people can drown. That is also feasible.

If one party got into difficulties and the other attempted to help them, it can be a double tragedy waiting to happen. A trained rescuer is taught to be very wary of the victim panicking and grabbing hold of the rescuer. This can result in both parties struggling to survive.

Trained rescuers learn to keep clear of the victim, even by pushing or kicking them away if necessary and endeavor to restrain the victim from behind. An untrained rescuer would not be aware of the dangers.

I can easily visualize how this tragedy occurred and yes, I have taken both Royal Life Saving Institute training and the PADI rescue diver courses.

Yes of course anything is possible...like winning the lottery; but what are the odds of two people more or less simultaneously drowning in a pool (most hotel pools are 1-2 meters deep at most...and yes, people can drown in a foot of water). I would just check the will and see who stands to inherit those billions...there's the prime suspect.

I'm PADI rescue and solo diver certified...but you got me on that Royal stuff...we don't go in for that in America.

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I have only heard it called that on this forum and in a British  newspaper  called the Daily  Mail

Check it out on Youtube plenty of evidence there if you're interested that is, and not from the Daily Mail!

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The police are too quick to say it was an accident.... real police would investigate

first THEN come to a conclusion. 

regards Worgeordie

Would that include the real police that have come to the conclusion before they apprehend and punish.

There is a saying about glass houses and stones but looks like many have never heard it.

• Sad 1

Here's another possibility for cause of death. "Probable electrocution by lightening".  Of course, we can speculate whatever, but crime scene experts have to examine every possibility and then declare their finding.  What was stated as a cause of death meant nothing and should not be taken seriously to a point where members started exchanging unpleasant comments.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hear hear!  In a pool...how convenient. 

11 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes of course anything is possible...like winning the lottery; but what are the odds of two people more or less simultaneously drowning in a pool (most hotel pools are 1-2 meters deep at most...and yes, people can drown in a foot of water). I would just check the will and see who stands to inherit those billions...there's the prime suspect.

I'm PADI rescue and solo diver certified...but you got me on that Royal stuff...we don't go in for that in America.

Here's a little light reading for you. Oh and by the way, I was very nearly drowned of the coast of North Wales in 1978 whilst I attempting to rescue a lad who had fallen in whilst fishing, so I'm not just talking abstract stuff.

https://gizmodo.com/why-rescuers-die-while-drowning-victims-survive-1680233920

6 hours ago, chmeatloaf said:

you are lucky enough to be staying legally in Thailand. Police we have come in contact have been extremely helpful and dedicated in their jobs and responsibility. Perhaps, the police in your home country have sowed doubts into you long before you came here.

I suggest the police you have come in contact with gave you directions or similar, now go and tell them somebody robbed you in the street and see the reaction as they start to write the report.

57 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Anything is possible at the moment, let the investigation conclude..... what on earth am i saying

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Both drowned at the same time? it has to be a lot more to it than just an "accidental death".. No way Jose...

and no CCTV or other pool users around?:)????

5 hours ago, jvs said:

Luxury hotel,must have working CCTV,if in trouble and scream there should be staff

to hear that and respond?

If an electrical problem it will be easy to determine,something must have shorted

and breakers must have been tripped.

Lets just wait and see what further happens?

Were they the only guests there?

Need to look at the son?Do they have more children?

How long have they stayed there?When was the last time other people have used the pool?

It could be   an accident,lets just wait and see.

You don’t understand. The police already decided.....ACCIDENT. That many questions just confuses them.

????

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

My original post specifically mentioned the danger of attempting a rescue in the open ocean (or even a river). I'm originally from Northern California and several people die every year from drowning while attempting to rescue friends and family who are in distress in the ocean surf (usually both end up drowning...but a 1-2 meter hotel pool, with no waves, current, or even cold water?

Asians are not known for their prowess as swimmers. It's possible that 1 or maybe even both of them were weak or non swimmer's. that would make, even a 'safe swimming pool', for them, a danger zone.

Victim A gets into difficulties, Victim B instinctively goes to help his or her spouse and victim B grabs and clings onto the rescuer and they now both in danger.

And I'm sure that you, as a diver, knows that you drown in 1 minute. It's perfectly feasible. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Horrific as it sounds...

As next of kin and heir, most likely, to their fortune...son arrives on holiday, goes for a walk and comes back and both parents drowned. No CCTV. He's a person of interest immediately in a real investigation. 

moreover as the son has accepted the preliminary police conclusions.

I haven't read through the full thread, my first glance response;

not gas, they're outdoors.

electrical fault, possible.

some sore of ingested paralytic caused them to drown.

accident, doesn't seem likely for two middle aged people.

Burmese did it.  Winner.

• Haha 1

Looks like faulty electricity what would absolutely not be a surprise. Given the murderous reputation, this godforsaken rock gained in the past, finding two billionaire floaters might also point to one of the mafia "island owners" who obviously go to any length to get it their way... Given that this happened on Koh Tao, it would be a pipe dream to hope for a thorough and professionally conducted police investigation. Perhaps, they'll have some more illegal Burmese workers in stock to take the fall... only time will tell...