Thailand begins massive vaccination drive despite shortages, concerns

webfact

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I am confused, how do you begin mass vaccination without the vaccine on hand?

they call this "Virtual Thai Vaxxing..." - and, of course, it all was a big misunderstanding...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Why you thing too mutch? You not understand Thailand. 

Edited by djayz
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, atpeace said:

10,000,000 total vaccinations by end of month! 25,000,000 by end of July, and 40,000,000 by end of August.  maybe I'm an optimist but think if you back at this post the last day in August and I won't be far off - 35-45 mil will have received a shot.

Yea, I'm not sure the 250k per day extrapolates on a straight line with so many dependencies: availability of vaccine, availability of willing arms.

Given that we're at 4,190,503 total doses administered (as of yesterday). 10 MM (so +6 MM) seems reasonable for June.

Another +15 MM in July? Maybe. If they have the vaccines.

Another + 15 MM in August? Hmmm. Not sure.

15 MM per month is 500,000 doses per day. That seems like a HUGE stretch.

Need to get to 100 MM (50 MM people is the stated target) for fully vaccinated.

This will require EXTENDED focus on the part of the regime. Haven't really seen them focus on much for more than a hot minute.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Meanwhile many hospitals stopping vaccinations due to severe shortage of vaccines.

Our local hospital in Bang Saphan Noi was supposed to be carrying out vaccinations from 7th until 11th June. Now it is for just today, 7th!!  The wife was offered Sinovac, not going and the mother-in-law has gone there today for AZ. I was registered to get mine there as well after the Thais. Good job the wife and I registered to go to Chumphon for Moderna when it arrives.  

Website is up for those age 60 and over or with diseases:

https://thailandintervac.com/

Please present the following document to the vaccination site
Passport is registered in the website.
For Individuals living with following underlying diseases must present evidence and personal identification at the vaccination site. The evidence can be a picture of medical records containing information with specific disease, or prescriptions with your names. This evidence should last no more than a year.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, jesimps said:

You're lucky to have been given an appointment. My local hospital who hold my docs, say they have no instructions on vaccinating non-Thais. Suggested I try the Mor Prom....

Cluster...., just as I expected.

Exactly my experience with Bumrungrad, even after the government spokesman said go to the hospital where you have records, OR the app, but don't do both. And Bumrungrad is supposed to be toward foreigners! But we have to relax; people working in those places, with all due respect half of them are idiots and half are helpful. But I'm going to walk into the Bum with no appointment this afternoon (4th time) on the theory that the squeaky wheel gets the juice. There's also a vax center up north of Din Daeng where my pink card says I live, and I may try it tomorrow. Just keep pushing, nothing to lose, and cheaper than flying across the Pacific.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, worrab said:

Our local hospital in Bang Saphan Noi was supposed to be carrying out vaccinations from 7th until 11th June. Now it is for just today, 7th!!  The wife was offered Sinovac, not going and the mother-in-law has gone there today for AZ. I was registered to get mine there as well after the Thais. Good job the wife and I registered to go to Chumphon for Moderna when it arrives.  

This illusrates the challenges.

Three people, one dose administered (maybe?). Six total doses required. 

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yea, I'm not sure the 250k per day extrapolates on a straight line with so many dependencies: availability of vaccine, availability of willing arms.

Given that we're at 4,190,503 total doses administered (as of yesterday). 10 MM (so +6 MM) seems reasonable for June.

Another +15 MM in July? Maybe. If they have the vaccines.

Another + 15 MM in August? Hmmm. Not sure.

15 MM per month is 500,000 doses per day. That seems like a HUGE stretch.

Need to get to 100 MM (50 MM people is the stated target) for fully vaccinated.

This will require EXTENDED focus on the part of the regime. Haven't really seen them focus on much for more than a hot minute.

Probably a little optimistic but I seriously believe the pace will pickup drastically over the next 30 days.  As for 100 mm, think that was a typo?  That would be 150% of the population.  Nice to have a discussion and not yelling match. 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Pattaya did not not have enough "trained people" to administer 20 000 doses, you think 250 000 is reasonable?

250,000 does a day. At that rate it is going to take 480 days to complete enough vaccination for herd immunity for the whole of Thailand.

To obtain herd immunity by the end of the year is going to require a vacation rate of just under 1 million a day. Based of 2 doses per person.

Edited by ruddick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enzian said:

But I'm going to walk into the Bum with no appointment this afternoon (4th time) on the theory that the squeaky wheel gets the juice.

While they've vaccinated some VIPs, they're just assembling an interest list right now. Am hoping they're in on the Zuellig Pharma/Moderna buy. Or the Pfizer buy.

Contact them, they'll give you a brief form.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/contact-us/inquiry

Quote from their email:

Although, we are unable to confirm when we will be receiving our supply of the vaccines, we would like to support both Thais and non-Thais, who would like to receive the alternative vaccines by gathering names and contact information, including the names of any family members and friends. With the information in hand, we will be able to contact those interested as soon as the vaccines are available.

If you are planning to get the alternative COVID-19 vaccines with us, we would like you to provide your information below, so that we can contact you when the vaccine is available. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Southpark had this covered, it's the "Underpants Gnome" business model

1. Announce you will begin mass vaccinations

2. ??

3. Success

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Doses, for 50 MM people.

Sorry, that is what you stated.  Just missed it.

I bet once 40% of the population is vaccinated, considering the case count here in Thailand, the daily new infection will be in the hundreds. A few weeks after that and the deaths will be 0-5 a day.  This is coming from the person that predicted the USA wouldn't surpass 40k deaths back in March of last year.  I do though have a great capacity to see my errors which is kinda redeeming...

Edited by atpeace
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I am trying to be optimistic but wont be surprised if I am back home around lunchtime without a jab.

They will allow you to queue for 5 hours first before postponing til October. 

Sitting in SAMUI IMMIGRATION with dozens of others who were told to register for vaccine at official website, then informed their registration was REJECTED and to report to Immigration.

NATURALLY IMMIGRATION HAS NO CLUE WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.

• Haha 2

The best one is not necessarily the one that is available right now. The Sinovac is a joke as  you have a 50/50 chance of contracting the virus. You couldn't pay me enough to take that one. I will continue in lock down until an appropriate vaccine is available. Its my choice and cannot be forced on me.

• Like 1

Thailand is set to begin its massive vaccination drive

That's like McDonalds announcing a massive drive through event but later announcing that they have no hamburgers or french fries left.

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

The realistic way for  a mass vaccination program o be successful is to have many and ongoing vaccination sites.  Thailand will have to do something to goes against the "Thai Way".  Distribute vaccines to selected local pharmacies and let the neighborhood pharmacists inoculate members of the community.  This can work with the Chinese vaccines which do not require ultra cold storage.  For those vaccines that require ultra cold storage then let hospitals can handle the inoculation.  Also, stop with all these registrations and let locals use their national ID's and let foreigners use their passports(both have DOB's???).  Underlying health conditions can be proven with a statement from a doctor or evidence of taking certain medications etc, etc.  Of course we are in LOS and this is currently not possible.  

You need ID to register. Registration is necessary to keep things orderly. You can’t have 10,000 people show up at the same time.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Update on mass vaccination Samui phoned the Samui hospital they said only doing today 7th and only Thias over 60 . the other vaccine centers will not be open . whatever you read on this its is B.S. to save annoyance and stress would be best not to open Thai visa reports. if you appointments with mor prom or any other forget it .   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maddermax said:

The best one is not necessarily the one that is available right now. The Sinovac is a joke as  you have a 50/50 chance of contracting the virus. You couldn't pay me enough to take that one. I will continue in lock down until an appropriate vaccine is available. Its my choice and cannot be forced on me.

I think that is 50% if you are exposed to the virus.  If that is the case that is considerable protection but far from perfect.  The numbers are hard to grasp at this point for me at least.  I would love the opportunity to get vaccinated with Sinovac but that is just me.  Don't really see the downside?

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Pattaya did not not have enough "trained people" to administer 20 000 doses, you think 250 000 is reasonable?

Pattaya has just over 1,000 doses of AZ vaccine.  That is it until further notice from above.  It meets the target date of June 7 though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AJR3RD said:

Sitting in SAMUI IMMIGRATION with dozens of others who were told to register for vaccine at official website, then informed their registration was REJECTED and to report to Immigration.

NATURALLY IMMIGRATION HAS NO CLUE WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.

I used this app on the 2nd June from immigration yesterday i got SMS to say its excepted and they will let me know when and where or whenever 

They have no idea how to organize this mass vaccination. Start with vaccination points, and how many people at 1 day can be vaccinated.. 200? ok you get jabs voor 7 days is 1400 jabs next week again. 

People can register .. 100 people booked on 1 day.. full.. okay appointment only on a free day. When there more jabs available they can easily put a few people more a day.. Why so difficult??

8 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

They have no idea how to organize this mass vaccination. Start with vaccination points, and how many people at 1 day can be vaccinated.. 200? ok you get jabs voor 7 days is 1400 jabs next week again. 

People can register .. 100 people booked on 1 day.. full.. okay appointment only on a free day. When there more jabs available they can easily put a few people more a day.. Why so difficult??

You have no idea of logistics, leave it to the professionals and stop criticising. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1