Ivermectin: Yes, No or Maybe

RR2020

15 hours ago, Airalee said:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34145166/

Conclusions: Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally.

48 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Misleading evidence ends up on shady websites.  Not pubmed.  Nice try though.

Wrong..............the largest meta-analysis study paper was published on that website and was later found to be inaccurate and despite being copied/shared on several other publications, it was withdrawn. 

This has been posted on here and elsewhere, so take a look.

Also the fact that research papers are published on Pubmed doesn't mean that they are the definitive article as Pubmed itself states. "Larger trials will be needed to confirm these preliminary findings". Note: preliminary findings.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Meanwhile the NIH panel have issued a statement on this:

"Ivermectin has been shown to inhibit the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in cell cultures.13 However, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies suggest that achieving the plasma concentrations necessary for the antiviral efficacy detected in vitro would require administration of doses up to 100-fold higher than those approved for use in humans."

However, most of these studies had incomplete information and significant methodological limitations, which make it difficult to exclude common causes of bias. These limitations include:

The sample size of most of the trials was small.

Various doses and schedules of ivermectin were used.

Some of the randomized controlled trials were open-label studies in which neither the participants nor the investigators were blinded to the treatment arms.

Patients received various concomitant medications (e.g., doxycycline, hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, zinc, corticosteroids) in addition to ivermectin or the comparator drug. This confounded the assessment of the efficacy or safety of ivermectin.

The severity of COVID-19 in the study participants was not always well described.

The study outcome measures were not always clearly defined.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/

In addition just released from FDA

"There seems to be a growing interest in a drug called ivermectin for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19 in humans. Certain animal formulations of ivermectin such as pour-on, injectable, paste, and "drench," are approved in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals. For humans, ivermectin tablets are approved at very specific doses to treat some parasitic worms, and there are topical (on the skin) formulations for head lice and skin conditions like rosacea.

However, the FDA has received multiple reports of patients who have required medical attention, including hospitalization, after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for livestock."

1007370777_DoNotUseIvermectintoTreatorPreventCOVID-19_030221_1600x900_Art_FINAL.png.c0dd2a19a18a4fe97414c8043c16c30c.png

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

Wait, there's more just published, from AP news:

Efforts grow to stamp out use of parasite drug for COVID-19

WASHINGTON (AP) — Health experts and medical groups are pushing to stamp out the growing use of a decades-old parasite drug to treat COVID-19, warning that it can cause harmful side effects and that there’s little evidence it helps.

With a fourth wave of infections, more Americans are turning to ivermectin, a cheap drug used to kill worms and other parasites in humans and animals.

https://apnews.com/article/business-science-health-coronavirus-pandemic-c2b50063ac65943686a4995a6cf230c3

and here's a few fact checks:

Fact Check-Animal Ivermectin should not be used on humans

An FDA frequently asked questions document (here) says that possible side-effects associated with ivermectin use include skin rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, facial or limb swelling, neurologic adverse events (dizziness, seizures, confusion), sudden drop in blood pressure, severe skin rash potentially requiring hospitalization, and liver injury.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-covid19-ivermectin/fact-check-animal-ivermectin-should-not-be-used-on-humans-idUSL1N2PJ1T9

That’s fabulous, but why the need to go on and on about “animal ivermectin”? 

When I want beef, I buy a nice tenderloin.  I don’t buy Alpo.

When my Ivermectin was prescribed, it was done by a doctor….not a veterinarian or farm supply store.  Stop with the conspiracy theatrics that it’s only an animal drug.

Ivermectin (for human use) has been safely prescribed billions of times and has won a Nobel Prize.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

When my Ivermectin was prescribed, it was done by a doctor….not a veterinarian or farm supply store.  Stop with the conspiracy theatrics that it’s only an animal drug.

Ivermectin (for human use) has been safely prescribed billions of times and has won a Nobel Prize.

Yes but not for covid, the whole point of the above studies and articles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes but not for covid, the whole point of the above studies and articles

You seemed to omit some relevant information from the NIH article.  Basically, they seem to say that more trials are needed and that there are currently some ongoing and that they can neither recommend for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of Covid 19.  Of course, I’m not talking about “horse dewormer” as people seem to parrot again and again and again.

• There is insufficient evidence for the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) to recommend either for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19. Results from adequately powered, well-designed, and well-conducted clinical trials are needed to provide more specific, evidence-based guidance on the role of ivermectin in the treatment of COVID-19.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/

43 minutes ago, Airalee said:

You seemed to omit some relevant information from the NIH article.  Basically, they seem to say that more trials are needed and that there are currently some ongoing and that they can neither recommend for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of Covid 19.  Of course, I’m not talking about “horse dewormer” as people seem to parrot again and again and again.

• There is insufficient evidence for the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) to recommend either for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19. Results from adequately powered, well-designed, and well-conducted clinical trials are needed to provide more specific, evidence-based guidance on the role of ivermectin in the treatment of COVID-19.

No I didn't omit anything, I gave you the link to read it all yourself, and I see you have, good boy...............

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Airalee said:

It appears as if different studies come to different conclusions.  Perhaps in the future we will know more.

Correct and as stated by the NIH panel:

However, most of these studies had incomplete information and significant methodological limitations, which make it difficult to exclude common causes of bias. These limitations include:

The sample size of most of the trials was small.

Various doses and schedules of ivermectin were used.

Some of the randomized controlled trials were open-label studies in which neither the participants nor the investigators were blinded to the treatment arms.

Patients received various concomitant medications (e.g., doxycycline, hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, zinc, corticosteroids) in addition to ivermectin or the comparator drug. This confounded the assessment of the efficacy or safety of ivermectin.

The severity of COVID-19 in the study participants was not always well described.

The study outcome measures were not always clearly defined.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Airalee said:

But not for covid. For parasites, yes. Covid? NO!

• Like 1

The scientists HAVE completed sufficient “work” :-

We have safe effective customized covid vaccines.

Ivermectin has proven literally useless against covid.

Easy to Deny Theory disproved by Scientific Facts.

Ivermection has been abandoned as covid treatment by previous proponent institutions / countries like India. 

Continuing Individual Medical Proponents are completely Discredited.

New Studies ? Scientifically Irrelevant. Already Proven that the Artic is Quite Cold & the Earth is Not Flat…….

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, Harry Om said:

Not true. You need to take another look at the literature, there's many recent studies.

The criticism of the studies is that they are small. The reason they're small is because drug companies won't fund a large study.

For example;

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.31.21258081v1

It doesn't work, end of.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, Airalee said:

The real issue is that there is no good clinical evidence of efficacy for Covid19. But the internet misinformation system convinces people they don’t need to vaccinate because if infected, they can use Forsythia, oops, Ivermectin.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Google "Ivermectin blackout in India". Interesting articles.

Really stupid article that claims that adding Ivermectin to medication of infected persons led to a sharp drop in cases. Common sense tells you that once the infected begin treatment, they tend not to infect anyone else, so from an epidemiological perspective, they are irrelevant to containing the number of cases. Therefore, even if Ivermectin were effective in treating Covid, it had almost zero impact on the number of new cases.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Really stupid article that claims that adding Ivermectin to medication of infected persons led to a sharp drop in cases. Common sense tells you that once the infected begin treatment, they tend not to infect anyone else, so from an epidemiological perspective, they are irrelevant to containing the number of cases. Therefore, even if Ivermectin were effective in treating Covid, it had almost zero impact on the number of new cases.

I don't know which of the articles you read, but India seems happy with the results. 

"once the infected begin treatment, they tend not to infect anyone else" Huh? Why should taking Ivermectin stop you infecting other people?  ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I don't know which of the articles you read, but India seems happy with the results. 

"once the infected begin treatment, they tend not to infect anyone else" Huh? Why should taking Ivermectin stop you infecting other people?  ????

The article claimed that treatment of the infected with Ivermectin stopped infections from spreading.

Treatment of the infected has nothing to do with new cases.

Let’s say you get a positive PCR test and get hospitalized. Whether or not you are given Ivermectin, you are not going to infect anyone else. Whether IVM reduces your hospital stay by a few days is irrelevant to the national infection rate.