Illegal weapons and ammo being sent through the Thai post a big problem admits top cop

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: INN

Pol Maj-Gen Jiraphop Phuridech admitted that people dealing in guns online and sending weapons and ammunition through the post was a huge problem in Thailand. 

The deputy commander of the Central Investigation Bureau was quoted by INN as saying that there are 30 chatrooms operating on the Line application with at least 500 members. 

Weaponry - including war weapons and grenades - were seized in raids on seven locations in Bangkok, Samut Prakan and Chonburi.

This followed the busting of a group called "Chumchon Talat Dam" (black market community) in May by the Crime Suppression Division. 

Three arrests were made and in total 154 guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition, grenades and smoke bombs have been seized. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-11

I think they may have over egged this one a bit to make it look more sensational.  According to the Thai Rath article. they found that someone implicated in the FB group was the grandson of the owner of a licensed gun repair shop in China town and works in the shop.  So they arrested him at the shop and took away all the customers' guns wating for repair to make it look like a good haul of illegal weapons ready for sale. Some of the guns were .22 rifles in tactical stocks that look like assault rifles but you need to take a quick look in the chamber to see whether one is a legal .22 or an illegal 5.56.  Otherwise they look identical and very convincing to the naive reporters.  

• Like 1

Guns and ammo "disappear" from government, military, police, forest police "armories", etc. all the time.

Guess they eventually turn up for sale on FB?

ASSAULT RIFLES MISSING IN TURBULENT SOUTH

Police Col. Supakorn Phuengros, chief of the province’s Muang district station, said an investigation was started after a local official reported the guns missing, but it was still unclear when and how they disappeared.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/05/26/assault-rifles-missing-in-turbulent-south/

• Like 1

You want a gun in Thailand then speak with a policeman. 

Got burgled some years ago and it freaked my missus out. A friend of hers, a policeman, offered to lend me a gun. I asked if in the event i was to use it how did I stand. Not a problem was his reply as xxxx Baht would sort things out.

Nothing ever happens to real criminals. Friday 20th December 2019 my stepson and his friend were shot at by a known drug dealer (high at the time). His friend got hit in back of thigh. Police were called, they told the shooter scumbag drug dealer to report to the station on Monday morning. Nothing happend to him 10,000 baht to boy he shot 1,000 to my stepson and a I'm so sorry appologie, i thought you were someone else. I wanted to take it further but got warned to leave it alone. F#cking thai justice amazing

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You want a gun in Thailand then speak with a policeman. 

Got burgled some years ago and it freaked my missus out. A friend of hers, a policeman, offered to lend me a gun. I asked if in the event i was to use it how did I stand. Not a problem was his reply as xxxx Baht would sort things out.

It's just a face thing my friend has offered to update a few police officers guns (as to have they purchase their own) many are willing to trade their old .38 or other weapon for a shiny new glock. Or so I've been told by my friend ????

Edited by starky