Thailand announces new restrictions in Bangkok, other provinces

Jonathan Fairfield

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Why wait for Monday.

Three infected escapees (Thai workers)  from Bangkok in the near vicinity already.

Will be carted to (?)hospital.

Big alarm at the breakfast table today.

A mate just texted that the same happens in other parts of the district.

Panic level raised to near max.

Great job to announce/discuss such measure before sealing/locking the camps!

I think it's deliberate. That's exactly what happened when all the shopping malls were closed last year - many of those who lost their jobs went back home, before busses and trains were suspended.

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Where's the vax? That's what we really need. About 45% of the US is now vaccinated, and so everywhere's reopening. Amazing considering how at one time we had the highest rate of infections.

These small, occasional shipments from China are ridiculous. Why can't larger supplies be secured, from other sources? Why can't the manufacturing be done here?

Don’t ask. The answers are all incredulous 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Why can't the manufacturing be done here?

It is being done here: the AstraZeneca vaccine is being manufactured locally by Siam Biosciences. A few hiccups getting started but it would appear that the vast majority of local vaccinations are now Sinovac and AstraZeneca. I got my first jab 2 weeks ago and the notation "AstraZeneca SBS" on the confirmation slip leads me to believe it was the locally manufactured variety.  Would it be good if there was more of everything? Of course it would.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:
2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

another solution is the mexican - open all now and this way

at least save the economy.

yes there will be hundreads of deaths every day, from the virus. but many

others will be saved from hunger and depression.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

At least that way those infected along with those vaccinated will help achieve herd immunity eventually, and yes, as you said, hundreds, if not thousands will die, but that is the cost of human viruses. If economies collapse, it will be much uglier in my opinion.

I said this over a year ago and nearly got my brass one's chewed off!

Are attitudes changing now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, konaboy said:

This is crazy! I just booked a hotel in BKK for Monday-Wed.

I live in Pathum Thani . Can I even go to BKK?

BTW-where are the vaccines?

There are currently no travel restrictions except for migrant workers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

something I have noticed hanging out in Bangkok is that Thais, women* in particular are really scared.

I see a lot of double masks and face shields being worn. BTS/MRT maybe 75% empty on a Saturday. 

*this has nothing to do with me. 

It seems, there are a lot of ladies that prefer to wear the mask if they can.  Was apparent a long time before the pandemic.   I suppose it slows the direct inhalation of some nasty stuff otherwise it would not be so recommended by and also worn for the last century by medical professionals around sick people.   Here I thought they were protecting us from them! 

• Like 1

Read it 3 times over and only restrictions i got was

1.  No dine in

2. Malls to close by 9 pm

3. Some construction sites sealed off

Did i miss anything? did i miss markets closed? being a source of outbreaks a number of times

No mention of which provinces and the only reason why he is refusing to use word lockdown is to avoid or minimize any payments to people affected by the "not a lockdown"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Restaurants now have an entirely new meaning for the term "open and shut case".

In Bangkok, according to one article, 50,000 eating establishments (maybe including street stalls, too?) have closed due to Covid and the restrictions.

This latest flip for their flop is going to be the death knell for many more. Unless food lends itself to delivery and the usurious terms of the major delivery companies (30%---nobody has that kind of margin, so for most 'delivery' means 'loss', but at least existing inventory doesn't rot), everybody is going to close.

And why? All because 'somebody' thought he was Hippocrates and could beat Covid without vaccines, so didn't order last year when the pandemic arose, and now must stand in line with every other developing nation. The current situation has demonstrated that the powers that be lack the miracle-making ability of a certain religious figure whom it is claimed fed thousands with a few fish and loaves of bread. A few million vaccines currently in country don't quite make for 140 million jabs.

These restrictions will come and go until 50+% of the population gets two jabs, which means minimum October.

Also, folks in Bangkok and the 'five surrounding provinces', in search of a sit-down meal or simply going home after being laid off (again) are going to carry the virus far and wide just like they did during Songkran. So, if your province isn't closed now, it will be.

In the last month the ranks of those sleeping on the sidewalks of Bangkok has increased considerably. Expect it to rise even more now, as restaurant staff is laid off. They've already exhausted whatever savings they had.

Overall one could describe the situation as 'not good'.

Couldn’t agree more with what you have said, except I don’t think October is doable for 140 million jabs.

At current pace, which is supposedly flat out, it will take nearly two years before 140 million jabs are done. For 50% of the population, I think in terms of one year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I said this over a year ago and nearly got my brass one's chewed off!

Are attitudes changing now?

I don’t think people quite realize what it means to have a thousand people a day dying, if it turns out that way. 365 thousand a year.

the public might not do a lot of shopping or go on many holidays if that time were to actually arrive. Hospitals over run (more than now), so sick people unable to get care, etc etc, it doesn’t put people in a happy frame of mind.

it sounds enticing, open up and live normally, but in reality the sickness and death can’t be segregated from the rest of society. I have a feeling that not so many would have the stomach for it, if it were ever to actually transpire.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The ???????? crazy insanity continues! All this will accomplish is putting the final nail in many coffins of restaurateurs. I personally know 2 of whom told me this will be the end. Already hurting and hanging on by an extremely thin thread after the last farcical overreaction. 

Do not forget chain reaction it creates, staff who work have no options but to go back to villages, which means empty rooms, empty 7-11 stores, empty street sellers

And it would not be half as bad if government provided financial support for the biz affected, but they are not, neither for the people affected.

Seen to today news in UK? Huge demonstrations against lockdowns, i wonder if the momentum will come to Thailand, because it really needs to come here to wake up idiots running this place , i should say destroying it

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Brand new restaurant on our soi (BKK)......been working on it for months (not me).......all set up.....looks really, really classy yet with reasonable prices.........looks like it could be a winner.....opened on Friday.........poor sods.

5 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Beam me up Scotty, it may be time to go? Lockdown again with no good vaccines in sight.

have not you read, its not a lockdown, but minor restrictions. So what if you unable to make ends meet, its only a restriction and will get better. Might be lucky enough to get 100 baht discount on a 3000 baht electric bill

These constant shutdowns seem to have no effect except to impoverish the population thereby the gov ability to provide adequate  care .South America has got the Lambda variant (11) .I believe its inevitable that all will have in some form.Aus .restrictions from 1 case !  

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I think it's deliberate. That's exactly what happened when all the shopping malls were closed last year - many of those who lost their jobs went back home, before busses and trains were suspended.

After the discussion at lunch: you might be correct.

Here the people coming back were simply desperate, no more money, no proper food, no medical care/hospital bed.

They called the family and were picked up (whatever way I don't know but not by bus) and brought home.

As I read the health experts now want to allow home quarantine for the non symptomatic.

Obviously the only way to avoid a complete breakdown of the health system (at least in Bangkok).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

So in reality when they open the Phuket Sandbox on July 1st they won't be isolated on the island for 14 days but say 30 as once they are free to go after 14 days there is almost no where to go to as Bangkok is shut down and everything closed. Why come to a destination with no restaurants open, no bars, massage parlors, gyms, parks,  clubs, beaches , pools ?

nofun.jpg.2b9e4c4acc5637a05d8f57eef29ff1ee.jpg

5 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Where's the vax? That's what we really need. About 45% of the US is now vaccinated, and so everywhere's reopening. Amazing considering how at one time we had the highest rate of infections.

These small, occasional shipments from China are ridiculous. Why can't larger supplies be secured, from other sources? Why can't the manufacturing be done here?

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand/press-release/astrazeneca-commences-new-covid-19-vaccine-supply-chain-in-thailand.html

Need make on monday a trip urgently from chiang mai to my embassy in Asoke, book hotel for just 3 days and come back in a flight. That’s possible? ????

Any advice, please?????

I didn’t got a jab yet

Edited by Tarteso

3 hours ago, realfunster said:

I remain critical of Thailand’s overall approach to this, particularly as a heavily tourist orientated country. Vaccinations were clearly going to be the required exit strategy at least 9 months ago.

That being said, a comparison with other countries across Asia would seem to indicate Thailand is not alone in facing difficulties with vaccine procurement. We should have pragmatic expectations from this point forwards. 

“Why can’t larger supplies be secured”, do I really need to answer that ?? 

Our hopes are now resting on SBS/AZ production ramping up quickly as they work through their manufacturing difficulties.

Below a chart of current 1st dose progress in a number of countries. 

Any patterns standing out here ?

5881B500-4C42-4578-A4EE-BECBF668AACC.png

Thailand needs to import some expertise from the U.S. to sort it out.  

• Haha 1