Thailand announces new restrictions in Bangkok, other provinces

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Checkpoints to be set up after workers have already left construction camps? 

but have they left the camps? This is something I'm not clear about. Are the camps being sealed when the they have been vacated, or have the workers been sealed in the camps, hence in quarantine?

It makes a very big difference!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Where's the vax? That's what we really need. About 45% of the US is now vaccinated, and so everywhere's reopening. Amazing considering how at one time we had the highest rate of infections.

These small, occasional shipments from China are ridiculous. Why can't larger supplies be secured, from other sources? Why can't the manufacturing be done here?

I remain critical of Thailand’s overall approach to this, particularly as a heavily tourist orientated country. Vaccinations were clearly going to be the required exit strategy at least 9 months ago.

That being said, a comparison with other countries across Asia would seem to indicate Thailand is not alone in facing difficulties with vaccine procurement. We should have pragmatic expectations from this point forwards. 

“Why can’t larger supplies be secured”, do I really need to answer that ?? 

Our hopes are now resting on SBS/AZ production ramping up quickly as they work through their manufacturing difficulties.

Below a chart of current 1st dose progress in a number of countries. 

Any patterns standing out here ?

5881B500-4C42-4578-A4EE-BECBF668AACC.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Migrants are the danger, they are the ones who spread the virus, so let's stop them all in cages, this is the racist advertisement of this government.

It's corrected now to include nightclubers too...not!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 days?! Fear has won again.

I'll look up the exact details before doing anything, but this is probably my cue to go enjoy the summer in Vancouver. Hopefully things will be better out this way when (North American) winter starts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, actonion said:

I can't see what are the other 5 provinces?

That information has been edited out of this version of the Reuters article, for some reason.   The full details of the other five provinces are in the Bangkok Post's version of the same, word for word, article.

59 minutes ago, wasabi said:

If Xenophobia and incompetence eradicated the virus Thailand would've been the first to win the fight.

But, even with "their xenophobia and incompetence", as you put it, Thailand has still fared much better in terms of Covid-related deaths than the US, UK and Europe.  Using your "logic", that says a lot about those countries!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

To be honest, the only change that affects people other than migrant workers, is no more dining-in at restaurants, and malls now have to close at 9pm.  

You're absolutely right but that doesn't suit the agenda of the majority of Thaivisa posters! 

6 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Restaurant dining is a fairly big part of my life lol. The article also says "includes" so I'm not sure if it shows the comprehensive list of new measures.

Will do some research to avoid making a knee-jerk decision, but with summer season and restrictions being lifted in North America while new ones are being instituted here, Thailand isn't looking like the most attractive option currently.

I would also wait until the BMA make an announcement.  There is a good chance they will try to top the PM's decisions or countermand them!  

• Like 1

something I have noticed hanging out in Bangkok is that Thais, women* in particular are really scared.

I see a lot of double masks and face shields being worn. BTS/MRT maybe 75% empty on a Saturday. 

*this has nothing to do with me. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're absolutely right but that doesn't suit the agenda of the majority of Thaivisa posters! 

It does not suit the agenda of the @oc_ccsa sub committee that called for a week-long lockdown in and around Bangkok. Or the multiple business associations who opposed the lack of Bangkok lockdown.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

New Covid restrictions announced for Bangkok and 10 provinces

The Royal Gazette website on Saturday announced measures to contain the spread of Covid-19 in Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala and Songkhla provinces.

The new measures, which will come into effect on Monday, require that:

1. Construction sites must close for 30 days in order to contain the spread of virus.

2. Restaurants must provide only take home services.

3. Department stores, shopping malls and community malls can be open until 9pm, but they must close theatres, cinemas, water parks and food courts, increase the distance between waiting seats and improve the efficiency of air ventilation systems.

4. Hotels, exhibition centres, convention centres and exhibition venues can remain open as usual, but they must refrain from holding meetings, seminars and catering.

5. People must refrain from gatherings of over 20 persons without permission.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002511

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

New Covid restrictions announced for Bangkok and 10 provinces

The Royal Gazette website on Saturday announced measures to contain the spread of Covid-19 in Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala and Songkhla provinces.

The new measures, which will come into effect on Monday, require that:

1. Construction sites must close for 30 days in order to contain the spread of virus.

2. Restaurants must provide only take home services.

3. Department stores, shopping malls and community malls can be open until 9pm, but they must close theatres, cinemas, water parks and food courts, increase the distance between waiting seats and improve the efficiency of air ventilation systems.

4. Hotels, exhibition centres, convention centres and exhibition venues can remain open as usual, but they must refrain from holding meetings, seminars and catering.

5. People must refrain from gatherings of over 20 persons without permission.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002511

So for Bangkok (apart from constructions sites) the only change is restaurants are no longer allowed to have dine-in and malls closing at 9pm? #3,4 & 5 were already in force.

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

So unrestricted travel for everybody,  except (non-Thai) labors.

Should be OK to drive out of Bangkok Monday.

Why wait for Monday.

Three infected escapees (Thai workers)  from Bangkok in the near vicinity already.

Will be carted to (?)hospital.

Big alarm at the breakfast table today.

A mate just texted that the same happens in other parts of the district.

Panic level raised to near max.

Great job to announce/discuss such measure before sealing/locking the camps!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

So for Bangkok (apart from constructions sites) the only change is restaurants are no longer allowed to have dine-in and malls closing at 9pm? #3,4 & 5 were already in force.

So I'm not really sure why you are asking me when it is clearly written? 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Excel said:
37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But, even with "their xenophobia and incompetence", as you put it, Thailand has still fared much better in terms of Covid-related deaths than the US, UK and Europe.  Using your "logic", that says a lot about those countries!

At the moment anyway

That's what counts.