Thailand loses 550,000 tourism jobs in Q2 after new virus wave

webfact

28 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Things that everybody ought to know about Thailand's numbers and statistics.

1. Every Thai 'spokesperson' doesn't actually know the reality of the figures or statistics that they quote. They're handed numbers which have been prepared by somebody else.

2. When a Thai 'spokesperson' isn't given any figures or statistics, they make them up, trying to sound as optimistic as possible.

3. The people who compile the figures or statistics for the Thai 'spokespeople' usually believe that they are accurate, even though they know nothing much about figures or statistics. These figures or statistics are usually ordered to be biased for effect and are frequently inaccurate.

4. Often the people who compile the figures or statistics couldn't care less, as they will be handing the figures or statistics on to somebody else and there's no way of proving them right or wrong, so they just make them up.

CONCLUSION: Absolutely no figures or statistics produced or stated by a Thai 'spokesperson' are accurate and can be believed, even if they genuinely think that they are.

laughing out loudTINY.png

I agree with you...excepting points 2-4.

5 minutes ago, tigerfeet said:

It's a lot higher this number is only registered workers what about the self employed ? Plus all the small food stalls ? Not it's well over 1000000 if not more

do you have any official numbers ?

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

These numbers don't reflect what I see everyday, there alot more closed than open and many shop houses are empty and not rented. Are they putting lipstick on a pig? 

Are many re-training as pig beauticeans? it's so hard to keep up these days ... these social influencers got a lot to answer for.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elad said:

Its ok, 441,000 jobs selling virtual drinks were created. 

Not anymore . This also has been hit from 2 ends. Payment processor freezing money and cutting off service and police raiding and arresting 

1 hour ago, Scottie12 said:

There is a governor in Phuket named MaAnn who, after closing all the beach bars in Surin a few years ago has now turned his attention to closing the same on Layan beach the week before the sandbox comes into effect.

His reason for closing the Surin beach bars was that a previous Thai monarch had set foot on the beach around 100 years ago. These people have no idea what tourists are looking for and probably don’t care as long as they are all right. They don’t care about the poor people who were just scraping a living on the beaches. Very sad.

Beach bars............ in Surin?

????

1 hour ago, Scottie12 said:

There is a governor in Phuket named MaAnn who, after closing all the beach bars in Surin a few years ago has now turned his attention to closing the same on Layan beach the week before the sandbox comes into effect.

His reason for closing the Surin beach bars was that a previous Thai monarch had set foot on the beach around 100 years ago. These people have no idea what tourists are looking for and probably don’t care as long as they are all right. They don’t care about the poor people who were just scraping a living on the beaches. Very sad.

Wow, I left Phuket in 2010 and had no idea they'd done this to Surin. That used to be one of my favourite beaches, a great way to spend an afternoon alternating between the beach, a swim and a snack/beer in one of the bars/restaurants.

Just checked it on Google maps and even pre Covid it looks a shadow of it's former self. What a shame.

I met a few local bigwigs and their cohorts/entourage when I was living there and they were generally corrupt scumbags only interested in face and money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

About a month ago I remember reading how Thailand's unemployment rate was 1.96% and that the number unemployed was 760,000. Now they say that 400000 jobs were lost in Q1 and 550000 in Q2.

Do the tourist board boffins work out the unemployment figures?

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-economy-jobs-idUSL3N2NB0QX

Those who lost their jobs hit other jobs outside the tourist industry, duh. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

All seems to be paved out for great

scams and price hikes to get back the “lost money” by all operators.   I wouldn’t like to be a genuine long time tourist in Phuket once it gets going again.  

Cause it won’t be cheap! 

Wrong, certainly in respect of Phuket based Expats, the overwhelming majority of which neither live in or frequent the popular tourist areas.   Where they use Western type bar/restaurants, these typically are other Expat owned and prices will remain the same.   Where they use Thai restaurants, these will be used primarily by Thai locals, and there won't be any question of price gouging.   In these current times, those places that offer consistent quality and fair pricing will always survive.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's most severe outbreak so far started in April

That's right, the Great Songkran Travel Disaster, approved by the same bunch of corrupt cretins that have made a complete mess of the vaccine rollout. And now allowing the country to open to foreign tourism before most of its people have had even one dose of any vaccine, let alone the two actually needed, will compound the problems caused by their idiocy and result in even greater hardship for the people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Pretty sure that amount and many more were lost long before !!

Just about every Thai person I know has lost their job ,the odd one is on half wages etc for same weekly working hours just to keep a job in a dead restaurant/bar .

It it not the same everywhere. What is one area's loss can be another's gain. Many that have lost their jobs elsewhere have returned to this area and invested. The area has grown very significantly since the pandemic started. I am talking housing developments, supermarkets, filling stations etc, not just Thai kitchens, although a lot of them as well. There has never been any tourist orientated businesses to close down.

The figures only indicate lost jobs to tourism, no mention of how many found an income in other ways.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lavender19 said:

They are.

Maths is not a strong subject here.

50% business open 

36% closed temp 

4% closed down 

Where the other 10% are no one knows

It is all a misunderstanding.

It should read.

50% closed down,

36% closed temp

4% still open, bet I'm much accurate.

Airlines are part of tourisme, tour companies, guides etc etc not only hotels.

11 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's right, the Great Songkran Travel Disaster, approved by the same bunch of corrupt cretins that have made a complete mess of the vaccine rollout. And now allowing the country to open to foreign tourism before most of its people have had even one dose of any vaccine, let alone the two actually needed, will compound the problems caused by their idiocy and result in even greater hardship for the people.

They say in Phuket 80% have been vaccinated with 2nd dose, if you can believe them

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The big fuzz now.... Other countries may not allow their citizens to come and enjoy the "sandbox" Given the steep incline the covid counter is currently travelling.

That can't be good for what little remains of the decimated tourist industry.

The US State Department recently changed its threat ranking for Thailand to a '3'--basically saying reconsider traveling to Thailand due to the worsening of Covid 19.  

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

It it not the same everywhere. What is one area's loss can be another's gain. Many that have lost their jobs elsewhere have returned to this area and invested. The area has grown very significantly since the pandemic started. I am talking housing developments, supermarkets, filling stations etc, not just Thai kitchens, although a lot of them as well. There has never been any tourist orientated businesses to close down.

The figures only indicate lost jobs to tourism, no mention of how many found an income in other ways.

Wonder where that "oasis" is. My regular Tesco Lotus, food court empty, stalls half of them gone, two banks moved out third is about to follow.  Only the big names are still there, all the small family orientated business suffer very hard. When I go in to CNX town, it looks deserted with many places closed or for rent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, newnative said:

The US State Department recently changed its threat ranking for Thailand to a '3'--basically saying reconsider traveling to Thailand due to the worsening of Covid 19.  

Europe did place it in de RED zone. 

• Like 2