COVID-19: Thailand reports new daily record of 53 deaths; 4,786 new cases

webfact

32 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

There is zero evidence that Covid will cause deaths as a percentage of population equivalent to Spanish Flu, let alone the Black Death. 

Covid is on track to kill more Americans than did the Spanish Flu.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It is widely accepted that 9 million die each year from hunger and hunger related diseases and 3.1 million of those are children so since the covid pandemic started about 18 months ago 13.5 million have died from hunger and hunger related diseases 4.5 million of which are children.So people in this world are more than 3 times as likely to die from hunger and hunger related diseases yet in the last 18 months I have not seen it mentioned once in the main stream media.It has been said that covid restrictions would likely to increase this number.These are very sobering statistics.I wonder why we don't talk about 4.5 million kids dying of hunger and hunger related diseases?Are we really more concerned about our own lives?Is it only when the lives of rich westerners are threatened that it becomes a topic of concern and little to no regard is given to the starving millions?

4.5 million children have died from hunger in the past 18 months.I'll just let that sink in. 

Around 60 million people die each year as of now https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/number-of-deaths-per-year?country=~OWID_WRL. Nearly 4,000,000 in the last 18 months have died from covid-19.

16 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

The point I was making was that even with a much higher proportion of their population vaccinated, the UK still can report 20k+ infections in a day compared to Thailand's 5k in a day with much much fewer people vaccinated. This would suggest that the Thai numbers are way off.... would you disagree?

Yes, because the histories of the epidemic are different in Thailand and the UK.

Your logic indicates that Singapore’s claimed death count of 35 is invalid because of the UK’s 127,000 deaths.

Edited by Danderman123

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

44 million who have had at least one vaccination is not the same as “almost fully vaccinated “, given the UK’s 70 million inhabitants.

62% of the adult population has had 2 jabs. Not sure if herd immunity is at 70 or 80 percent for this contagious Delta. I agree that it is not 'almost fully vaccinated'. Single jab not the big factor either for this variant.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as The Royal College of Physicians of Thailand (RCPT) is urging the government to try harder and faster to procure sufficient, quality vaccines, including alternatives, to inoculate people in Thailand, to build herd immunity as quickly as possible.

No sign of slowing down, if anything it's getting worse.

2 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Can anyone explain to me how Singapore has had only 35 deaths since this all began??

Most likely because the majority of their cases were in young migrant workers locked up in dormitories rather than general community transmission 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

Whilst your calculations may be correct for whole population, it does not factor in that the whole population of India has not had covid. Fatality rates for a disease can only be calculated against the number of people who have caught covid. It would be like calculating fatality rates from cancer to whole population even though not everyone has had cancer.

Population change calculations are worth showing and are probably the correct lens to use for the macro effects of Covid, but you also have a valid point in that

my calcs don't capture direct fatality rates from the disease.

But although diving into further calculations is possible, it isn't really worth it with this audience. I restated my math with a hypothetical 10x deaths to the stated numbers and the result was still a clip of less than 1% of pop and a net population gain.

• Sad 1

Protest finally wins Bangkok Covid patient a bed in hospital

A 60-year-old Covid-19 patient decided to set up camp at Bangkok’s Nang Loeng Police Station in protest because no hospital beds were made available for her after she tested positive on Sunday.

Zendai, a group that transports Covid-19 patients to hospitals for free, posted the woman’s story on its Facebook page on Tuesday.

It said the woman, who works as a janitor in the capital, decided to move out of her home in Bang Phlat district because she did not want to infect her daughter.

As soon as the group heard of her case, it contacted Royal Rattanakosin Hotel, which has been adapted as a field hospital and found her a bed.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002635

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Today there are 53 deaths in #Thailand - NEW HIGH 30 males & 23 females 1 Chinese & 1 Brit also died Median age is 71 (24-97 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (35),

Pathum Thani (3),

Samut Prakan (3),

Nakhon Pathom (2),

Yala (2),

Songkhla (2),

plus 6 provinces with 1 each

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1410112461382971397

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Not only with Sinovac you see Israel with the new delta variant all vaccines are ineffective for 40%

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/40-percent-of-coronavirus-stricken-israelis-infected-with-uk-strain-nachman-ash-655957

Did you notice that this link is from January and talking about the alpha variant and not the delta variant ?

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Its really spread now in provinces. Isaan start to look very bad!

688684771_Screenshot2021-06-30at11_11_08.png.283174d718abd2009a28bc8d2dcbf8c4.png1410558895_Screenshot2021-06-30at11_10_56.png.eaae851291b49e6340dfaeecd6df081f.png182256342_Screenshot2021-06-30at11_10_45.png.8b3f0be6d666467891dd3feb3ecc9ac5.png769555603_Screenshot2021-06-30at11_10_31.png.b8d50a2ad537bdc11fbb42be60e5d863.png

Isaan in general has certainly moved up from just a nominal few cases a day. I don’t think I would call it very bad quite yet, but of course the tip of the iceberg theory is applicable and what we see now can easily roar it’s way higher. So in the sense that a rising trajectory seems to be establishing itself, it is very bad.

The numbers as presented are still modest, it’s next week and the week after that may look much worse.

I’m still a bit more focused on the south and whether the case levels in the Deep South start to work their way up and into Krabi, Phangna and sandbox island.

Delta variant is now around 95% of uk infections, up to around 20.000 daily in spite of very high vaccination rates. Normally over 1 million tests daily. (published). Many double vaccinated are being infected. Famous BBC presenter Andrew Marr x2 too. Close relative of mine aged 27 currently has delta covid, 2 x Pfizer jabs weeks ago as he's a doctor. (non covid ward) He puts it down to visiting pubs. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

"It be like that sometimes?" Just because this is an uncomfortable outcome, does not necessarily make it the wrong outcome.

I'm not saying it's the right outcome either. I'm saying that we should at least genuinely explore if it might be the right outcome.

Head to Brazil and explore it with them, you can be part of your own little experiment along with President Jair Bolsonaro.

Covid: Brazil hits 500,000 deaths amid 'critical' situation

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57541794

• Like 2
  • Sad 1