Thailand reports 6,230 new COVID-19 cases, 41 more deaths

webfact

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

With the numbers now at this level it appears that the Delta Variant is taking hold.  Last night from the Balcony, I watched as the freeway was loaded up with cars heading out of Bangkok.  Today the streets are nearly empty and the park near us which normally has folks in it on a Saturday morning is nearly empty as well.  Looks like the Bangkok spread outwards will become a further reality.

Got it in one, even Thais and the hardened Bangkokians have had enough of this.. heading out before they get infected.

In control my rear-end.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Peru lifted its lockdown prematurely.

As did every other country with a worse deaths per million than Sweden.So are you saying now that lockdowns only work in a few places that tried them?Are you saying they don't "always" work?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The double vaccination figure still remains fairly stagnant at just about 2.25Million.

The Single shot numbers are still increasing at a fair lick.

It must be a Govt policy to only single Vax people in the hope that they can keep the numbers down in the Hospitals.

Wrong Plan, Bad Idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

The double vaccination figure still remains fairly stagnant at just about 2.25Million.

The Single shot numbers are still increasing at a fair lick.

It must be a Govt policy to only single Vax people in the hope that they can keep the numbers down in the Hospitals.

Wrong Plan, Bad Idea.

I thought the plan was to vaccinate the population of Phuket at the expense of the lives of the elderly and the vulnerable who very few seem to care about now.I remember in the early days of the pandemic they were the only ones that mattered.Now not so much as blip on people's minds.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Has there ever been a more recalcitrant country than China. (Nth Korea doesn't count). 

They should be sharing any information that they can provide. 

The only other country member of the recalcitrant club was Malaysia if I remember correctly, glad I'm not a country member!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

They are not as different as it may seem.

mRNA vaccines send mRNA instructions into the cell to make SARS-2 spikes, which generate immunity.

AZ sends a piece of DNA into the cells, which is converted to similar mRNA instructions to make spikes, which generate immunity.

Yes the main difference is that the vector vaccines ,AZ, send the piece of DNA into the cells nucleus.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm having trouble finding that 4% figure in the article you linked.

And earlier today, I believe there was another report with a MoPH exec citing a different statistic for that.

Under the section titled: Senior Citizens Vaccinated at the Lowest Rate (my translation)

In my first reading, I thought 3.97% referred to fully vaccinated people over 60, but that was my misreading. That's the total number of people vaccinated with 2 shots. Less than 4% of the total population.

Further down the page there is another set of numbers more clearly stated that says 11.2% of over 60 have had one shot and .7% have had both.

5 hours ago, Puwa said:

BBC Thai has published a breakdown of vaccination rates. One statistic is that less than 4% of citizens over 60 have been vaccinated. 

https://www.bbc.com/thai/thailand-57704369

The way that vaccinations are being rolled out, I am very much doubting that the second half of 2022 will be any different than this year.  The USA announced it was re-directing it's resources to a third world country.  Indonesia.  Thailand is not a third world country and I agree that they should not be considered for vaccine distribution.  What we have here is a disgraceful failure to act and the result is unfortunate.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Revised, or two different criteria....

The AZ / Delta effectiveness data I quoted above was effectiveness against "symptomatic infection," which includes lesser illnesses.

Your reference is to serious illness / hospitalization / death.  Do you have a citation for that info?

PS - I agree that the "serious illness, hospitalization, death" yardstick is the more important one.... But if I could get high levels of effectiveness against symptomatic infection AND the worse outcomes, I'd take that too!

Well, it's from recently reported Public Health England figures- published over the last couple of days and widely reported in UK press.  As you know UK has been a big real life model- allowing comparison between AZ and Pfizer vaccines.

It would seem that real world effectiveness on most metrics are about the same.  I think Pfizer likely shades it though.

Edit: Here's a link:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9745949/Public-Health-England-AstraZeneca-COVID-shot-94-protective-against-death-65s.html

Edited by mommysboy

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

But we can find examples like this for all the vaccines!

Sinovac is effective at preventing more serious illness.

If one is reported in the Thai press then of course, if you see one post it. In the mean time its only Sinovac

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And more of the same:

How'd the UK get so (un)lucky with this one...  Or is it just that they're doing a better job at the genetic sequencing required to identify the strain, something the U.S. has largely failed to do, AFAIK.

Delta.jpg.472e661760fb6f4bf519ff417f18bef7.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158117959352050

Fortunately, the AZ vaccine works well on this variant:

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-effective-against-delta-indian-variant.html#:~:text=Real world data from PHE,1.1.

Fwiw, it’s been posted in another thread that UK is now on Thailand’s red list, so UK residents no longer qualify for the sandbox. I assume as a result of delta cases in the Uk.

I wonder how long before UK  does tit for tat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

Fwiw, it’s been posted in another thread that UK is now on Thailand’s red list, so UK residents no longer qualify for the sandbox. I assume as a result of delta cases in the Uk.

I wonder how long before UK  does tit for tat.

Wow, can you paste the post or link it please?

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/ckeditor2//files/จัดกลุ่มประเทศตามความเสี่ยง กรมควบคุมโรค .pdf

I think this should be a link to the updated list. I believe Uk, Spain, France and Portugal moved to the red list.

if I got the wrong link, you can search “Uk on red list” and should find a relevant thread from yesterday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/ckeditor2//files/จัดกลุ่มประเทศตามความเสี่ยง กรมควบคุมโรค .pdf

I think this should be a link to the updated list. I believe Uk, Spain, France and Portugal moved to the red list.

if I got the wrong link, you can search “Uk on red list” and should find a relevant thread from yesterday.

Yep certainly looks that way. 

21 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Interesting, but it doesn't really negate the fact that all non essential travel is not recommended.  

Thailand just needs to throw some crumbs at the starving tourism industry and whisper their sweet nothings.  

The entire rollout has been a gargantuan flop.  And Im not happy to see it happen either.  

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have posted this before regarding the cases and lack of testing, but I will post it again, "This Government is about to reap what it has sown", and that's not a speculation or personal view as people have stated in the past.  What it is is reality and it is coming hard and fast and this Government is surely screwed in all aspects as they have failed the people miserably.  Tourism is not where they should have put all of their eggs, just like the vaccines from only 2 companies, as they have now created a rolling mess that is hitting slowly but will be a Tsunami by the time it washes over the country.  I have been advised by family and friends in the US that I should leave while I can, as they see this as being much like what rolled through the west and Europe 1 year ago. A day late and a dollar short Thailand is, and it is all because of some very big egos and pompous people who think it is still under control.

And, will you follow that advice ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

And, will you follow that advice ?

I have chosen to hunker down and ride out the coming storm.  I await my second AZ vaccine as well. This is my home and where I live.

• Like 2