Jump to content

Thai govt proposes fines of 500,000 baht for posting photos of alcoholic drinks online


webfact
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

By similar reasoning I would like all women forced to wear Burka's

While pole dancing?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

So society should be structured to appeal to the lowest common denominator?

 

Most people who drink do so responsibly. Companies that produce alcohol employ hundreds of thousands of people in production, distribution and final use. So all of them have to take a hit (maybe lower profits, maybe lower employment, etc.) because some people have an addiction beyond their control?

 

Okay, then let's project that sort of 'save the few' on to other things.....let's see....we install governors on all motor vehicles limiting their speed to 5km per hour, because some people speed and cause accidents. Think of all the lives that will save! And let's get rid of that electricity thing. Forget Maxwell and Faraday---no electricity means nobody gets electrocuted ever again.

 

  I wasn't suggesting that alcohol should be banned or further restricted , just that drinking alcohol shouldn't be constantly encouraged or advertised . 

  Alcohol consumption does cause a large array of social problems in Thailand , drink driving , domestic abuse , premature deaths and various other issues .

   The alcohol industry will still exist and as its addictive or at least habit forming advertisers shouldn't keep waving it in peoples faces urging them to drink .

  Yes, if that means them losing profits , then yeah, peoples health should come before companies profits  .

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I challenge these fools now to totally ban the sale of alcohol in Thailand, see how your tourism goes then 

 

Honestly - the fools and their rules, reap the benefits through tax revenue and tourism and social structures but then demonise the whole thing - time to face reality, you either want to totally ban it or face reality and stop with this stupid nonsense. 

 

Either #### or get off the pot

 

   I do think that every Country in the World has certain restrictions on the sale/advertising  of alcohol .

  Is there any Country in the World whish has no restrictions at all ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

wait.  Is this not translated well?  A person can be fined 500k for posting a picture at a bday diinner with the family with wine on the table?

or is this just for advertisers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Your kidding right.

If your success to get off the booze relies upon you not seeing a billboard with pic of alcohol beverage then you may as well go buy a case now and have a party.

 

   Its not just "a" billboard though is/was it , they seemed to be everywhere you looked .

  If you think that advertising has no effect on peoples choices , you would wonder why companies spend so much money on advertising their products , if it doesnt influence peoples choices of what they purchase 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

wait.  Is this not translated well?  A person can be fined 500k for posting a picture at a bday diinner with the family with wine on the table?

or is this just for advertisers?

I remember some movie star in Bangkok got fined 50k a couple of year back

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, grain said:

 

This regulation was brought in by Taksin. The logic is that they are restricting the sale of alcohol to school kids. So from 11am-2pm the kids are at school in class, from 5pm on they are home. But by having this law they prevent school kids from buying booze on their way to school, and after they knock off school in the afternoon. Of course you can argue, why not just have a law making it illegal to sell alcohol to underage people? Also the only shops who obey the law are the 7-11s, supermarkets, Tescos and so on. The M&P shops don't care and will sell to you any time of day. 

 

 

   It was already illegal to sell alcohol to school kids , having two different laws will not make it any more effective .

   School kids cannot buy alcohol at ANY time , day or night 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your original post was about advertising is affecting your ability to quit drinking. Now you shift to effectiveness of advertising to gain market share. 

You want to give up the drink that's great. 

Society won't ban advertising to assist you.

Man up. Your issue is down to one person.

 

Thailand has indeed banned the advertising of alcohol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tonray said:

So you can be fined for promoting carbonated soda water if it bears the same name as your company's beer.....just wow...

 

Coming to a supermarket near you: "Not Singha Soda Water" or "The Soda Water Previously Known as Singha"

 

   Its when beer companies get around the advertising rules by make a new product selling water in VERY similar bottles to beer bottles . 

  For example :Water advertisement 

Chang water

 

image.jpeg.effdab6fcf6230b50e5cd43f52e38faf.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

this probably all started back; with Corona Beer labels...   the only beer that Sold with a mask attached 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

 

Thailand has indeed banned the advertising of alcohol 

Woohoo. So walk in the park now for you to get off the phis. You've got it made. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

 

   I do think that every Country in the World has certain restrictions on the sale/advertising  of alcohol .

  Is there any Country in the World whish has no restrictions at all ?

 

Depends on what you call restrictions, no? I have worked in a lot of countries that were pretty much if you can pay for it, carry it and keep it somewhere, you can drink it. This includes countries that do have some form of restrictions like Alberta Canada, Tarrant County TX, Oman, Prudhoe Bay AK, Saudi Arabia, Glasgow. The "no limits" places included China, Cameroun and Iraq.

 

Most recently, I could buy unlimited amounts of booze 24/7 and drink it in public 24/7 in Myanmar.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

 

   Its when beer companies get around the advertising rules by make a new product selling water in VERY similar bottles to beer bottles . 

  For example :Water advertisement 

Chang water

 

 

 

Or that can be creative like the makers of Thailand's famous Regency Brandy that for many years now hasn't shown the actual product, let alone anyone holding, serving or drinking it. It probably doesn't even mention it but everyone knows exactly what it is.

 

 

More recent one here.

 

https://www.facebook.com/jimmodeling/posts/2397311473687031?comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"O"}

Edited by NanLaew
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

 

Depends on what you call restrictions, no? I have worked in a lot of countries that were pretty much if you can pay for it, carry it and keep it somewhere, you can drink it. This includes countries that do have some form of restrictions like Alberta Canada, Tarrant County TX, Oman, Prudhoe Bay AK, Saudi Arabia, Glasgow. The "no limits" places included China, Cameroun and Iraq.

 

Most recently, I could buy unlimited amounts of booze 24/7 and drink it in public 24/7 in Myanmar.

 

    You can do that in Thailand , you can buy as much alcohol as you like and drink it when you like .

   These current buying alcohol extra restrictions are due to stopping  Covid spreading and they aren't new long lasting restrictions , just temporary  measures 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't make any sense. They don't want you to post Alcoholic drinks and their slogan is "Alcohol is not a crime".....

This idea has clearly been "thought through" while on a bender. 

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, webfact said:

ASEAN Now notes that this has particularly been done by firms like Bood Rawd (Singha) and Leo who advertise water and soda during football matches.

 

During football matches ,we seem all the time during the day , on TV we have commented a few times that it is just alcohol adverts in disguise.

What will the TV company's think in the big loss of advertising  revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Eibot said:

That doesn't make any sense. They don't want you to post Alcoholic drinks and their slogan is "Alcohol is not a crime".....

This idea has clearly been "thought through" while on a bender. 

 

You are clearly confused about what the booze haters want and what the booze lovers say.

 

Have you been drinking?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, webfact said:

ASEAN Now notes that this has particularly been done by firms like Bood Rawd (Singha) and Leo who advertise water and soda during football matches.

 

During football matches ,we seem all the time during the day , on TV we have commented a few times that it is just alcohol adverts in disguise.

What will the TV company's think in the big loss of advertising  revenue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kickstart said:

What will the TV company's think in the big loss of advertising  revenue.

... well it's enough 'to send them to drink'

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...