Want to come back…!….what restaurants are open…? Any thoughts appreciated.

mikey88

Hello all,

I’ve been trapped outside Thailand for a long time now. I have the opportunity to come back through the SANDBOX program.  I stay in Chiang Mai under normal circumstances.

Part of the joy of being there and living there was to go out weekly with some friends to dinner….usually in or around the old city. 

Can any current inhabitants comment on what is open in terms of restaurants…?  I’m not talking about street food….

I imagine many or most restaurants are closed but have no idea really..  

Appreciate any help you might give…

Thanks.

Hard Rock Cafe appears to be closed.  The Burger King located near HD Cafe is closed.  The Pizza Company locations in Airport Plaza and Maya Mall are closed.  Wrapmaster has moved from inside of Maya to a location off Soi 7 Nimmanhaemin.  Both Gekko Garden and Mad Dog (new location) are still open.  For a specific restaurant please ask and I will look into it.  

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Hard Rock Cafe appears to be closed.  The Burger King located near HD Cafe is closed.  The Pizza Company locations in Airport Plaza and Maya Mall are closed.  Wrapmaster has moved from inside of Maya to a location off Soi 7 Nimmanhaemin.  Both Gekko Garden and Mad Dog (new location) are still open.  For a specific restaurant please ask and I will look into it.  

Where is the Mad Dogs new location ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Surelynot said:

We are in deep red, some would say deep ßhit, nearly all 'fancy' restaurants are closed.......plenty of street food places still open.......the odd bar is open, but behind closed doors or curtains drawn.

Maybe in the old city but try traveling a tiny bit further out - lots of upmarket restaurants open, even the Four Seasons is doing its Sunday brunch again. 

• Thanks 2

On 7/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Where is the Mad Dogs new location ?

I was there a couple of days ago - the same old location and no sign of moving that i could see...

op - check on FB or google your favorite spots.. its quiet but many places still open

On 7/4/2021 at 11:49 AM, lordblackader said:

Any restaurants that have not permanently closed down are reopened with alcohol until 9 p.m. Outside of the moat, night bazaar and Nimman where there are plenty of empty shops you'd never know that COVID was a thing. 

That’s good news…thank you…so plenty of places open at Nimman..?

On 7/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, lordblackader said:

Maybe in the old city but try traveling a tiny bit further out - lots of upmarket restaurants open, even the Four Seasons is doing its Sunday brunch again. 

Thanks for that….

On 7/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, canthai55 said:

Most are open. We have no problem sitting down to eat.

If your favorites are open - unknown.

Ate inside the moat Sunday and a couple days ago - no problem.

Chiang Mai not a Red or Dark Red zone so all good.

No alcohol after 2100

Thanks for that…