What documents must you have in your possession when out and do they have to be originals

Thomas J

At the present time I am carrying my passport and when driving my book proving ownership of the car I am driving along with the complete insurance policy. 

While the insurance policy is not a big deal, losing or having stolen my passport or car that contains the ownership book would create lots of problems. 

What exactly are the requirements for what a foreigner must carry particularly when driving a car?  Does the passport and ownership book have to be the originals or can photos on your phone or printed copies be considered acceptable?

Car book I get conflicting info from Thai's when I ask, so I only keep copy in car.

Passport, I was stopped in the street by 3 Immigration Officers, all armed with handguns, and was informed that

1) Pink Card means nothing to them.

2) Driving License means nothin to them.

3) Photocopies of Passport photo page, latest extensions page and TM6 mean nothing as they may not be real.

Was informed I must carry my passport at all times when away from house.

Others will say different but that is what happened to me, and not in any tourist area either.

• Like 2

photocopies of your passport id page and the extension page or pics on your phone of both is all that is needed, they are all the proof you need, carrying your passport around is not compulsory if you have either of these 

Would recommend Photo of passport and latest visa on phone and copy in wallet/purse. I have my Thai DL that can be used for most things day to day. 

Petty cash and things I use everyday in the fire safe

Important documents and valuables in safety deposit box. Recently seen SiamSecure has medium sized boxes available for 4,999/year in Pattaya and easy for us foreigners to sign up. 

Not a car driver.
I carry a copy of my passport, copy of visa, list of drug allergies ( e.g. antibiotics etc. ), a list of any health issues, an emergency phone contact number.

Small enough to carry in my pocket even when in local market etc.
Perhaps overkill but the allergy list has saved my life before.
If you have a DNR request then carry that too.
Have similar documents clearly on display in my house.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Car book I get conflicting info from Thai's when I ask, so I only keep copy in car.

Passport, I was stopped in the street by 3 Immigration Officers, all armed with handguns, and was informed that

3) Photocopies of Passport photo page, latest extensions page and TM6 mean nothing as they may not be real.

Was informed I must carry my passport at all times when away from house.

Others will say different but that is what happened to me, and not in any tourist area either.

Yes conflicting information and Thailand are words that can be used interchangeably.  You notice on the responses there is no consistency to what people say they must have though most seem to agree on photocopies or pictures on their phones.  That seems to be the most prudent in terms of not wanting to lose the original documents.  However, I wanted to avoid a situation where should I have to present the documentation I did not end up with a Thai authority telling me that they needed to be original and not copies.  

• Like 1

Pink ID always.  Thai drivers licence and copy of Green Book and Insurance when riding the bike.  

Only carry original passport if going to Immigration or sometimes if staying in a hotel ..... they also accept the Pink ID, but reluctantly, as they usually want to write a foreigner's name in 'foreign' script, and that takes an age to transcribe - so original or copy passport is welcomed.

Yes, lots of conflicting advice, but with the possible exception of the Thong Lor Police District in Central Bangkok, a laminated copy of passport showing photo page one side and last entry or Visa on the other has been enough for me.

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Keep all original documents safe do not carry them with you just keep photocopies.

Only carry your passport when going immigration.

I keep my passport hidden away ! I take it out when I visit a Govt office ,bank and when I travel outside of the Province. !

I have a copy of my passport page in my Phone wallet !

I keep everything else in the car such as Pink ID and DL.

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

I keep my passport hidden away  always ! I take it out when I visit a Govt office ,bank and when I travel outside of the Province. !

riclag

Ok I will follow your lead.  If I am stopped and they throw me in jail for not having originals, can you give me your phone number so I can call you to bail me out ????:)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, riclag said:

I keep my passport hidden away ! I take it out when I visit a Govt office ,bank and when I travel outside of the Province. !

Yep that's good enough, things change with time. 

I haven't bothered with a pink card sounds too gay to me. ????555.

My DL's have my Thai ID No. Instead of passport No. from my Yellow house book. 

I never carry my passport unless to 90 day immigration or bank to withdraw from savings which is only once a year. 

20 hours ago, Thomas J said:

At the present time I am carrying my passport

only when i am planning on traveling away from my house over night. 

and then i always show my Thai drivers license at hotel.  

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:38 PM, Thomas J said:

What exactly are the requirements for what a foreigner must carry particularly when driving a car?

I carry my driving license in my wallet, and the insurance paper under the seat/in the glove compartment.

On 7/4/2021 at 6:51 PM, foreverlomsak said:

I was stopped in the street by 3 Immigration Officers, all armed with handguns, and was informed that

Amazing Thailand, immigration officials can't phone their office to check your VISA status.

• Like 2