settlement visa for the U.K.

Hi All,

I apoligise if this topic has been posted in the wrong forum,as this is only my third post.

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who has Parkinsons disease and finds it difficult to compose letters.

He has recently legally married his long time Thai lady (about 20 years in the relationship) and is looking at taking her back

to the U.K. to settle permantly.

Aside from all the current Covid restrictions,does anyone have experience (recently) of the process involved.

He is thinking of using an agent to faciliate some of the paperwork etc.. but ultimately it is the decision of the British authorities here

if they grant her a visa or not..

Would he be better off trying for a visit-type visa and then going for the settlement once he is in the U.K. ?

As neither him or his wife have had any vacs. yet ,I assume they would have to undergo quarantine if and when they arrive in England.

Thanks in advance for any advice/experience you can offer.

No, she can't apply for a visit visa and then apply for Settlement once in the UK, she needs to apply from Thailand, there was a consession to do so when travel back to Thailand wasn't allowed, but that has stop.

I can't advise on quarantine at this stage as the rules change frequently and the application process can be fairly long.

If she wants to use an agent she should use one who is properly qualified, not one of those who are, or used to be, at the rear of travel agents or sitting in the bars of Pattaya, when they were open, happy to point them in the right direction privately

If your friend is on benefits a suitably quailified might help them with a more appropriate route.

You might find this helpful https://aseannow.com/topic/1112226-uk-settlement-visa-overview-updated-july-2019/

Just to add to what theoldgit said I came back with my Thai wife in August 2015 and she just got citizenship about 2 months ago. The whole business takes a long time and is extremely expensive if he goes that far. £8-9000 in total in costs at the moment.