Sandbox tourists stuck in quarantine ask to go home

webfact

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

Does the insurance cover the cost of the ALQ or is this all at the guest's expense?

Subject to add-ons, general travel/med Insurance has not changed, it only ever covers medical treatment for accident or illness, not elective stuff, so the test now is, if you swan about in a pandemic AGAINST YOUR OWN GOVERNMENTS TRAVEL ADVISORIES then it's likely to be "elective", also, if they are negative, the mandatory ASQ bills are all theirs to enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 people arrived on 1 flight? Plane actually flew with 12 people on board?

What is the right thing to do in a situation like this? Let them roam freely and possibly infect others even though all vaccinated or discomfort for 14 days for the benefit of others?

Edited by BestB
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

They would have to have a covid test before any flight and then 2 more in their own countries they know thus before they came. And must have travel insurance to cover anything covid related they are probably thinking its safer in their own countries and using this as a excuss to get out before things get bad here. 

As far as I am aware your declarations include the confirmation that you have not been in contact with anybody diagnosed with covid in the last X No of days. Or something similar. 
They would have to check all the conditions they sign for.
They may also have to check conditions of covid insurance cover for travel. I cannot think of much changing due to the return. However they should check the small print.
Many of these people if they are wanting to go back are very likely to have already made non-essential travel to Thailand as an amber zone against the advice by their Govt. eg UK FCO. Therefore their travel insurance may already be invalidated.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Does the insurance cover the cost of the ALQ or is this all at the guest's expense?

What I have seen for insurance cover against covid issues is normally limited to covering treatment.

Flight or hotel cancellations may be covered within limits but I cannot image anything covering their situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Sad thing about this is that the TAT will now spout this as an additional 12 bookings in other hotels and another 144 hotel bookings, even though they count as 12 tourists and 144 bookings already !

Now the authority is using number of booked room nights to make the numbers look even better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What would one  expect in the future when traveling to  popular Tourist destinations !

Similar scenarios  ! Something to ponder when making vacation plans !

I'm afraid these people who want to leave Petri Phuket ,to go home ,are stuck there until the quarantine ends .

Sad !

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

even if the ALQ one is 'free'.

Oh it's definitely not free, they made sure everyone knew that this additional quarantine is at their own expense.

Something else I suspect they didn't expect.

• Like 2

I find these 12 people stupid to be frank. 

If you use the Sandbox model, you do it because it's a better option than to go to ASQ. Thus meaning you stay longer than 14 days. If you go with this mindset, than the bad luck of being tested positive would merely put you in the original situation of ASQ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

So.. one of the ‘group’ tested positive on the arrival test. 

The rest of the group tested negative on the Preflight test, tested negative on that arrival test.  
I assume they’ve already been given their day 6 test - still negative ???

There may be no reason to keep vaccinated people who’ve tested negative locked up. 

Indeed. The UK has just announced that from 16 August, anyone in England who has had both their Covid jabs will no longer have to self-isolate if a close contact tests positive for Covid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54239922

• Like 2