I helped out with a horrific motorcycle crash last night. 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know which number to call, but, props to you for doing the right thing.

Some foreigners on this forum who believe they are ‘seasoned’ will tell us that we should never help, we will get the blame and incur costs etc…  

These types have only ever been seasoned on bar stool by other bar stool experts…. 

I too have helped at the scene of an accident in a similar manner (no cctv though). I saw the accident happen (drunk motorcyclist). Not even a hint of impropriety & many of those who also stopped or turned up followed my instructions to help light that road etc & turn on the flash lights on their phone, to go further up the road & slow approaching traffic as we were still in the middle of the road.

As soon as the ambulance left, so did I. BiB not interested in the Farang at the scene. 

your bar stool comment is ridiculous

a friend of mine was sat in his car, engine off, on the phone

a motorbike got hit by another car close to him, and the rider blamed my friend by saying he pulled out.,

engine off!!!!!!!

so think again mate.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:23 PM, 2 is 1 said:

When i hit soi dog whit motorpike i get right away help from locals front of accident place. Ok it was in our village and people know me but help was great! Guy even bring me right away big class of Laokhao and Chang lol. Same time when i drink "medicine" he clean my wounds. Hes wife get her own motor and go to pick up my wife and father in law . After i m not bleed like water tab anymore my wife drive me hospital.

Your 'friend' gave you Lao Kao and Chang to make sure he could prove the police you were drunk. 555555 Just joking

On 7/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Not so hard to remember 911! Other numbers are more direct to issue what you may have! If you are  like idiot farang who need tourist police all the time maybe good if you have direct number for tourist police! Dont know just saying.

Tourist Police: nung nung 55.

53 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

In UK, a call on 999 will get you almost any emergency assistance from any agency. 

Agree but UK is not the only country in the world....And possibly not the best or fastest way to get assistance as your call has to be directed to, Fire Dept, Police, EMS or whatever...

1 minute ago, jomtienisgood said:

Agree but UK is not the only country in the world....And possibly not the best or fastest way to get assistance as your call has to be directed to, Fire Dept, Police, EMS or whatever...

Its much better than trying to remember which number of 12 you need to get to the right people quickly, that is just idiotic.  

Just now, jomtienisgood said:

The Ambulance service on a 999 call - that is categorised as Grade 1, have a mandated 8 minute response time.

7 hours ago, nickmondo said:

your bar stool comment is ridiculous

a friend of mine was sat in his car, engine off, on the phone

a motorbike got hit by another car close to him, and the rider blamed my friend by saying he pulled out.,

engine off!!!!!!!

so think again mate.

Your friend was gullible enough to take the fall and you use that as an example that ‘foreigners always take the blame’ whenever involved or help in an incident regardless of examples presented to the contrary.

It is you who needs to reconsider their thoughts.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, Nanaplaza666 said:

Frits is back , unbelievable how descending you can be . This person went to the scene of the accident and talked to the lady that was clearly injured . Talking to someone in a situation like this can help a great deal to keep them consious and keep them from slipping away . But i bet you helped a lot of people in your lifetime . You must have a pittifull life i really never see you comment anything possitive only bashing people and being negative . I bet you are from the netherlands and lived in a small village where everybody knows eachother . Some place like Volendam where there's only inbreed . These people helo and actualy do something rather then sitting behind their keyboard and being negative . There is contact info on TV to get in contact with the good sammaritan i think you need that . Maybe you need a good talk with someone . 

Go "help" somebody at Nana plaza from your barstool. Do it in a language they understand.

The rest of your comment is laughable at best, won't react on that.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

That is a very wide question, but generally, if others are around then no, I would not stop.  On a country road with nobody else around, provided my  dash cam was up and working, then common humanity say that I would stop and help, indeed I have done so in the past, but in a city or town, no chance. I work to the sensible maxim that in Thailand, we are none of us farangs  in Kansas anymore. 

What kind of Doctor are you Tom? Not the type of response I would expect from a real doctor

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Go "help" somebody at Nana plaza from your barstool. Do it in a language they understand.

These forums are sacred sanctuaries for the nutters and weird types. Some of your comments on this thread are remarkable and prove my point. 

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2021 at 9:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Me too.. Refreshers are a great thing. But that does not mean people who have not done basic first aid course are incapable of saving a life and can only standby doing nothing - that idea would be preposterous.

I don't think I ever said to do nothing. Lots can be done besides attempting to do CPR such as warning traffic and calling for help.

Does your training teach you how to treat a collapsed lung ? - I think you get my point... 

Actually yes. I passed my first aid instructors course in 1991.

IF someone is not breathing the importance is getting blood circulating as soon as possible, even CPR for 5-10 mins can save a life before trained personal arrive on the scene. In this case CPR does not require an open airway, it does not require a breath, the blood already contains sufficient oxygen to keep the brain alive. 

I've been trained and retrained by qualified professionals to do CPR for over 38 years. Not a single one in all that time ever said that an open airway was not necessary. What they did say the last time I did a refresher course was that the protocol had changed and that it was no longer essential to do the breaths, as the cardiac compressions were also moving air in and out. 

Suggesting you would rather die than receive CPR from an untrained person is somewhat of a foolish position to present for the sake of winning an argument !!!..

Having been involved with the disabled for many years, I long ago decided I'd rather be dead than a quadriplegic. Others may think differently, as is their right.

11 hours ago, bbabythai said:

What kind of Doctor are you Tom? Not the type of response I would expect from a real doctor

I have no problem with his response at all. I think it makes sense in a country where we have none of the protections we would have in a western country.

"Real doctor" Seriously? I've worked with hundreds if not thousands of doctors in my time and they came in all versions from wonderful and brilliant to absolutely terrible.

19 hours ago, faraday said:

The Ambulance service on a 999 call - that is categorised as Grade 1, have a mandated 8 minute response time.

I don't know what country that is in, but if one lives 20 minutes from the nearest ambulance service, it's pretty obvious that it's going to take longer than 8  minutes for an ambulance to arrive, and what happens if they are all out on calls already?

On 7/14/2021 at 1:24 AM, ChrisKC said:

I have been in Thailand 18 years and only had an occasion just once to stop and even then I didn't need to do much!

I've only been at a road accident scene twice myself, and neither in LOS.

The first was where all I could do was talk to the people trapped in a car till the fire service arrived to cut them out. The other party was already dead.

The second was where a motorcyclist had been decapitated.

In neither situation was my first aid training required.

Of all the many deaths I've seen in hospital, most were expected, so no resuscitation given.

14 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Well you did react didn't you . And you can't react on the rest because you know it's treu . 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Ik wil ook wel reageren in een taal die jij begrijpt hoor , maar mijn reactie blijft hetzelfde . 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On 7/13/2021 at 12:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Me too.. Refreshers are a great thing. But that does not mean people who have not done basic first aid course are incapable of saving a life and can only standby doing nothing - that idea would be preposterous.

I don't think I ever said to do nothing. Lots can be done besides attempting to do CPR such as warning traffic and calling for help.

Agreed....  as first on the scene there is always something which can be done, even if First aid is not known.

Does your training teach you how to treat a collapsed lung ? - I think you get my point... 

Actually yes. I passed my first aid instructors course in 1991.

None of my First aid courses have taught me how to deal with a collapsed lung - to be honest, they’re pretty basic and just teach immediate first aid. I’m quite surprised that any first aid course deals with a collapsed lung or more advanced medical issues such as that. 

My point there was - that the basics of chest compressions can be picked up by watching. For someone who’s heart has stopped, any attempt at a chest compression is better than none. 

IF someone is not breathing the importance is getting blood circulating as soon as possible, even CPR for 5-10 mins can save a life before trained personal arrive on the scene. In this case CPR does not require an open airway, it does not require a breath, the blood already contains sufficient oxygen to keep the brain alive. 

I've been trained and retrained by qualified professionals to do CPR for over 38 years. Not a single one in all that time ever said that an open airway was not necessary. What they did say the last time I did a refresher course was that the protocol had changed and that it was no longer essential to do the breaths, as the cardiac compressions were also moving air in and out. 

Similar over 20 years, used to be a lifeguard (basic first aid) used to teach life saving (RLSS qualification) and currently in the Oil and Gas industry have to take refreshers every year - all of it very basic first aid, nothing advanced. 

On my most recent refresher I was advised that if there is no pulse it is critical to start compressions immediately and more critical than ensuring an open airway as the blood already contains a lot of oxygen so the key point is to the blood circulation to the brain. 

I get your point regarding chest compression also getting some air-flow in and out of the lungs (if the airway is open), that also makes sense. 

Suggesting you would rather die than receive CPR from an untrained person is somewhat of a foolish position to present for the sake of winning an argument !!!..

Having been involved with the disabled for many years, I long ago decided I'd rather be dead than a quadriplegic. Others may think differently, as is their right.

I don’t think anyone is ever in a situation to make the choice at the time, nether is the first responder. 

On 7/14/2021 at 7:26 AM, faraday said:

I don't know what country that is in, but if one lives 20 minutes from the nearest ambulance service, it's pretty obvious that it's going to take longer than 8  minutes for an ambulance to arrive, and what happens if they are all out on calls already?

I think it's the UK - in a life threatening situation the NHS target is that an Ambulance arrives on the scene within 8 mins. This is clearly impossible in more remote rural areas. 

My parents live about 30mins from the nearest hospital, there is a smaller local community hospital with a couple ambulances standing by which could take 15 mins if they are not already in use. 

The local village always has a ‘trained’ first responder on call, but the first responder is not a paramedic.

My fathers life was saved about 15 years ago, an ambulance already in the area responding to a less severe incident was diverted. 

On the whole the emergency response in the UK is impressive. It is the non-emergency health care which could be placed under criticism. 

In Thailand its the other way round. The emergency response here in Thailand is generally lacking and relies on individual hospitals or the ‘foundations’ (the guys with the pickups) to respond, particularly in traffic emergencies. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My point there was - that the basics of chest compressions can be picked up by watching. For someone who’s heart has stopped, any attempt at a chest compression is better than none. 

Indeed. On one course I did we were told about a woman that used a sink plunger to do compressions. IMO just luck that it worked though.

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t think anyone is ever in a situation to make the choice at the time, nether is the first responder. 

I wear a dog tag saying DNR. Unfortunately the average know not much attempting to help probably doesn't know what that means. I'm thinking of getting DO NOT RESUSCITATE tattooed on my chest for their benefit.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m quite surprised that any first aid course deals with a collapsed lung or more advanced medical issues such as that. 

I did the military first aid course.

IMO collapsed lungs would be not unusual in combat, though I never got to find out in practice.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

On my most recent refresher I was advised that if there is no pulse it is critical to start compressions immediately and more critical than ensuring an open airway as the blood already contains a lot of oxygen so the key point is to the blood circulation to the brain. 

Fair enough. My last refresher was in 2009, and they are always changing the protocols.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is clearly impossible in more remote rural areas. 

Yes, this is why Rapid Response Vehicles (RRV) were introduced. 

The Ambulance service also has Code Red single crew estate cars, which have highly trained Paramedics.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO collapsed lungs would be not unusual in combat, though I never got to find out in practice.

Knife and  Bic pen - between 3rd and 4th rib from the bottom

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:
On 7/15/2021 at 9:39 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Knife and  Bic pen - between 3rd and 4th rib from the bottom

C’mon MacGyver... you googled that !!! 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1