Thailand reports new daily record of COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

23 minutes ago, anchadian said:

For those people who were hoping to register for the Moderna vaccine on the Bumrungrad website (http://bumrungrad.com/moderna-vaccination-registration…), I’m afraid you are already too late. According to

@RPOBB, it ran out in a matter of seconds. It would seem the odds of winning the lottery are better.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1414047670746836992

Does anyone remember a time when, for items that demand outstripped supply, you could still order and when supply became in stock, you would receive said item, just a bit later than those who ordered before you?    This system seemed to work quite well, yet seems to have been abandoned in the covid era.  

This new system requires people to be "Johnny on the spot" poised on the trigger for the few seconds its possible to obtain said item, and if you were a millisecond late, you then need to wait an unknown amount of time for the next unspecified date to try and bid again on the next unspecified amount of items and hope that not only are you "Johnny on the spot" again but the internet gods are smiling on you when you click the trigger.    

Sony did this with PS5s as well and its a great system for crashing websites, not so great at allowing people to buy the items.    

Edited by James105
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Even all those empty beds that danderman says exist will be getting used up soon.

So far, hospitals have been able to squeeze in a few thousand more patients every day. 

Yeah, I know, it's a big surprise for you. 

But, it's not sustainable..... 

• Sad 1

I would bet money that it will be 20,000 in a few weeks. They have no pans for a shutdown, which is the only way to stop the progress. Look at Sydney over the last 2 weeks for a poor example of management and government interference.

1 minute ago, rabas said:

I saw nothing about being fit but there was this (font theirs)

FACT: People of all ages can be infected by the COVID-19 virus

I would add my own. FACT: Believing one is invincible can raise your risk of COVID.

That is indeed a fact.   Another fact is that obese people are more likely to suffer severe illness from covid than people who are not obese.    

The fact that I was referring to is this one (from the WHO website):

FACT: People should NOT wear masks while exercising  

People should NOT wear masks when exercising, as masks may reduce the ability to breathe comfortably.

Sweat can make the mask become wet more quickly which makes it difficult to breathe and promotes the growth of microorganisms. The important preventive measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others.

• Like 1

How many cases of the virus in Chiang Mai it seems like the numbers not the real numbers are getting higher I live in Chiang Mai and still cannot receive a vaccination if I want to pay  great Roll out Performers here For foreigners TIT

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's funny... I supposedly was on their contact list for a "private" vaccine. Never heard peepers from them re any of that.

Same here. A friend alerted me to the new program late Thursday. Crickets from the hospital. Apparently Bumrungrad had held a FB live event about it earlier that day, but sseems to have said nothing to its actual long term customers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

why people want to test if they do not have any simptoms i ask? will they be treated? no. will they get a vaccine? no. so why line up and waste your time getting a chance to get infected in the line?

i guess, just because testing is free

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed

3 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

why people want to test if they do not have any simptoms i ask? will they be treated? no. will they get a vaccine? no. so why line up and waste your time getting a chance to get infected in the line?

People line up to be tested if they don’t have symptoms, because they may have been exposed to a high risk Covid contact or have been in a high risk Covid area.

there are frequently requests from the authorities for people who have been in a certain area, at a certain, to come forward for testing.

if positive, they can isolate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Aside from the obvious those who feel they've been exposed or are sick, I also read that many new employers want to see negative covid proof before taking on staff

And then the next day............... ????????

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bottom line. Personally if I had no symptoms or even mild symptoms I would not go and try to be tested.

I would self isolate(for the benefit of others) and monitor my situation.

Not comparing countries but if I was in Oz and had symptoms I would would present for testing.

Unfortunately I don't believe that many Thai would be in the situation to self Isolate, especially those living in Bangkok.

I would do the same however if it turns bad it would have been better to be in a hospital even one of those carbord ones. Do you think you will get help fast if you call ? I mean health system is over stretched. At home your at the mercy of covid.

So its a choice you make and calculate your risks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

No because if you know you have it you can make sure you don't infect others. You seem to have a really selfish mindset.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

there are frequently requests from the authorities for people who have been in a certain area, at a certain, to come forward for testing.

Would you go along to a testing facility, queue up for hours to be tested if you had been in a certain area and requested (advised) to attend for testing? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Would you go along to a testing facility, queue up for hours to be tested if you had been in a certain area and requested (advised) to attend for testing? 

Well, in Phuket I wouldn’t have to queue for hours. But in any case, in all honesty, I would not go for testing. I would self isolate at home the best that I could. My reasoning would be that I do not want to go to a field hospital, period.

Secondly, even if positive,  the authorities can do no more than have me isolate, EXCEPT that I would be a link in the test and trace chain. If I felt that there was a risk to others that I might have infected them, I would probably go for a test, provided that I didn’t have to queue. If I had to queue, test and trace is already overwhelmed, so my being tested would achieve nothing.

thirdly, this assumes that I remain asymptomatic. If I had symptoms that became uncomfortable, I would go to a private hospital for a test and treatment.

with regard to the people queueing in, I assume, Bangkok, if I were them, I would not queue for a test if asymptomatic. I would self isolate as best I could. If living in small accommodation with other, my best might not be very good, but it’s what I would do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

an isolated case that hopefully doesn’t become more prevalent 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57761343

They believe thats how the new and dangerous strain in Vietnam also happened because of the Alpha and Beta strain infecting the same person. Its been mentioned here a few times that all these Field hospitals and quarantine centers are a perfect breeding ground for this. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Rhetorical question I would surmise, right?

He is probably wondering why the un-infected are taking the risk of lining up at close quarters with those possibly infected.

Like many were saying last week:

"If you didnt have it before testing, youll soon have it after"

In my logic, knowing one has Covid is pretty much useless as far as recovery goes.

Its just brings the added risk that more people will get infected at the testing centres and spread it further to family members and anyone in close contact, as well as crowded buses, MRT etc

1 hour ago, Marvin Hagler said:

On a side noted I saw today a video post on Facebook of a large gym in Pattaya...the gym was packed and not a single person was wearing a mask. Wonder if steroids protects from Covid?

I just got back from playing badminton for two hours and no one on court was wearing a mask there either, though they were in the reception area. Simple reason is that you require a hell of a lot more oxygen when exercising heavily and with a mask you simply won't get enough, leaving your heart working way too hard.