How many did you hear ?

CharlieH

10 out of 20 because I've always been labeled as a Maverick and that's more or less what I turned out to be. 

Remember things my parents told me. 

Dad:- Don't let your head rule your heart. 

Dad:- Women are all the same.

Dad:- Don't buy a dog because you will get attached and it will make you sad. 

Dad:- Never trust a man in a dress. 

Mum:- Never give up face the 4 corners of the earth and then some. 

Mum:- Always be careful if a lady approaches you. 

My uncle dads eldest Brother:- F everybody take care yourself. 

Dad:- Take care Jimmy Jesus was a gangster you believe what you believe.

Mum:- If you mess up pick yourself up and start all over again.

I luv quote by other people too like " Don't interrupt me while I'm interrupting you."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Even when we no longer had overhead cisterns in the toilets, we would always be told 'Don't forget to pull the chain' (meaning flush the toilet).

I was always a bit worried about those cisterns, right up high above my head, made of metal & attached to a chain.

Then, you have to pull the chain!!

Despite my childish exasperation at being told all these things that I could or could not do: M & D were right.

Miss them so much.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Mum - I'll knock you into the middle of next week.

Mum - Close your mouth when you're eating.

Dad - Stop picking your nose or the top of your head will cave in.

Dad - Pull my finger.

Knock you back 2 generations

On 7/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, Kwasaki said:

10 out of 20 because I've always been labeled as a Maverick and that's more or less what I turned out to be. 

Remember things my parents told me. 

Dad:- Don't let your head rule your heart. 

Dad:- Women are all the same.

Dad:- Don't buy a dog because you will get attached and it will make you sad. 

Dad:- Never trust a man in a dress. 

Mum:- Never give up face the 4 corners of the earth and then some. 

Mum:- Always be careful if a lady approaches you. 

My uncle dads eldest Brother:- F everybody take care yourself. 

Dad:- Take care Jimmy Jesus was a gangster you believe what you believe.

Mum:- If you mess up pick yourself up and start all over again.

I luv quote by other people too like " Don't interrupt me while I'm interrupting you."

Always use the big head for thinking.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Dad: 'Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs' . (I never did understand it)

Not sooo bad you sometimes have go to the bottom to work you way up in life as I understand it.

Living in UK I would say in my life living there I had to come from the gutter one time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Dad: 'Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs' . (I never did understand it)

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sooo bad you sometimes have go to the bottom to work you way up in life as I understand it.

Living in UK I would say in my life living there I had to come from the gutter one time.

I'm not so sure that he was being quite that philosophical, being a down to earth carpenter from Lancashire.

Apparently it's an idiom used to express surprise in the same manner as 'stone the crows'.

• Like 2

A few distinct things I clearly remember my father always saying to us 4 brothers when he had had enough;

1) You little fkn Captain Cookithes think you know everything. We were born in Australia and he was Greek, so his English was 50/50 with that heavy accent and wanted us to speak a Greek when he was at home.

2) You think you know better than me, I have been were you are coming from, "listen to me", you little fkn Captain Cookithes.

3) Eat all of your food or I will put your faces in the plate and make you eat it all, naturally we ate it all, although there was one day when my oldest brother found out the hard way when he complained that mum had under cooked his eggs, they were a little too runny, ooops, face to plate, never complain about your mothers cooking.

4) When mum had enough, she would say, wait till your father gets home, that is when we would go all quiet, it was mainly bluff, but it worked.

Interesting times growing up in that household, although I do understand 4 kids can be a handful, having 5 of my own, thank Buddha that our kids have never been subjected to that, although they get their fair share, albeit it a lot milder, suffice to say, no regrets, they did the best they possibly could, which wasn't as good as I expected, although we survive and move on, there is no perfect and life is too short to hold grudges.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Hah !  I love sayings and often think of one that though coined a long time ago still applies today.

The only one presently that i can think of which i find particularly annoying is one that wakes me up

in a sweat sometimes,  some dark creature hovering over my bed saying 

"this is your last warning ............................"

On 7/15/2021 at 12:40 AM, bobandyson said:

Even when we no longer had overhead cisterns in the toilets, we would always be told 'Don't forget to pull the chain' (meaning flush the toilet).

Reminded me of  ' Mummy can I lick the bowl ?'   No. pull the chain like everbody else .

• Haha 2