Thailand reports record high 98 coronavirus deaths and 9,186 new cases

webfact

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Which indicates that that throughout Thailand at least 10% of people who come forward to be tested are positive

Never understood why someone would 'come forward' for testing. They either have symptoms or perhaps need negative result for work etc 

Actually surprised it's % is that low.

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I don't know about "at least" but yes, it's about people who came forward to be tested. Not a random sampling. 

I put at least because the figure is actually higher at 12.04% of people who come forward for testing be that in hospitals, clinics, pro active testing units or random testing stations throughout Thailand.

Its a worrying figure 

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

I put at least because the figure is actually higher at 12.04% of people who come forward for testing be that in hospitals, clinics, pro active testing units or random testing stations throughout Thailand.

Its a worrying figure 

That it is.

15 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Please stop blowing our minds.  Thank you.  ????

I think the combination of the Beta and Zuma variants have created a bit of a different strain.There are also some tell tale signs of panic here with leaks of stopping testing for migrant workers in favour of Thais only.Myanmar is running out of oxygen Indo now reports more cases than India so tensions are high having been built up by various means so things (people) can easily become volatile.I worry more about this than covid. 

• Like 1

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

I think the combination of the Beta and Zuma variants have created a bit of a different strain.There are also some tell tale signs of panic here with leaks of stopping testing for migrant workers in favour of Thais only.Myanmar is running out of oxygen Indo now reports more cases than India so tensions are high having been built up by various means so things (people) can easily become volatile.I worry more about this than covid. 

Well, the one thing good about the Delta variant is that it's a lot more transmissible than the beta variant. So it's pretty much shout out beta's ability to spread much further.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Words are required. These case numbers are targeted groups. Could be clusters. Could be workers camps and prisons. Could be those that present at health care facilities. 

Very little to do with random sampling so figures are useless.

At the end of the day we all have a use by date so I guess your right, figures are useless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes indeed.We have two similarly poor countries side by side with Trictator rule and rudimentary public health systems yet a remarkable difference in performance.Laos seems to be doing much better wouldn't you agree? 

Thailand emphatically does not have a rudiimentary public health system. Far, far from it.

https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/research/comparative-health-policy-library/thailand-summary

Different report to the one we received yesterday. https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003237

The “Samui Plus” model kicks off today (July 15th), welcoming fully vaccinated foreign tourists, just two weeks after the initial Phuket “sandbox” tourism project was launched. The first 20 tourists are expected to arrive on Samui Island today.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-cautiously-reopens-to-foreign-tourists-as-the-samui-plus-project-starts-thursday/

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

. The first 20 tourists are expected to arrive on Samui Island today

So how does that work at BKK airport.

I assume they fly BKK to Samui via Bangkok airways. How does transit work? 

44 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, the one thing good about the Delta variant is that it's a lot more transmissible than the beta variant. So it's pretty much shout out beta's ability to spread much further.

That's the theory, but there have been examples of dual infections and with this virus' ability to circumvent human immune responses I'm not sure that what you suggest is a sure bet.A similar thing happens with the flu remember where if you've had on strain it doesn't mean you're stopped from getting the next one.I've had a runny nose for a couple of days now and wouldn't be at all surprised if I've been infected with another strain.

3 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

What was the goal here again please? 10,000 new daily cases or 100 daily deaths? Sorry I forget...

No the goal was 100,000 tourists to come internationally and spread the cash and dosh in Phuket and then onto the Samui+ travel bubble.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's the theory, but there have been examples of dual infections and with this virus' ability to circumvent human immune responses I'm not sure that what you suggest is a sure bet.A similar thing happens with the flu remember where if you've had on strain it doesn't mean you're stopped from getting the next one.I've had a runny nose for a couple of days now and wouldn't be at all surprised if I've been infected with another strain.

So far, those cases are notable for their extreme rarity.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

So far, those cases are notable for their extreme rarity.

It was also noted in the beginning of the pandemic the extreme rarity of infection of Sars Cov 2 and look what happened it's not so extremely rare now.You've also failed to address my second point about consecutive and on going infections with different variants.

• Like 1

Opinion: Government’s misplaced priorities has Thailand firmly back in the third world

This second round of lockdown has seen some of the most heart-breaking consequences of failed government policy, doubly so as all of this could have been avoided.

From a country that once praised itself for being able to contain the spread of the virus, we have transitioned to a country that is now struggling to get beds for the sick.

Our frontline workers are on their last legs trying to provide care to those that need it while temple crematoriums work overtime to accommodate the dead.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/29892/opinion-governments-misplaced-priorities-has-thailand-firmly-back-in-the-third-world/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Anxious, bored construction worker flies the quarantine coup

A 46-year-old construction labourer, who reportedly slipped away from quarantine in Buriram, said he escaped because he was bored and anxious at being ordered to stay under detention.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003271

Sounds like he needed his meds and is in need of help by a mental health professional.  If they mess up he may become a suicide statistic.