Thailand reports daily record of 9,692 new COVID-19 cases, 67 more deaths

webfact

47 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Police raided a hotel in Bangkok’s upscale Watthana area on Friday and arrested almost two-dozen people found partying inside.

Police were informed at 1am that a birthday party was raging at the hotel. Gatherings of more than five people were banned last week in Bangkok as rising Covid-19 infections spurred a tightening of restrictions.

Thonglor police arrived at the hotel in the early hours of Friday to find a group of 21 people partying loudly.

The partygoers were screened for drug use by urine tests, some of which came back positive, said police. All 21 participants were charged with violating the emergency decree, with drug charges tossed in for those who tested positive.

21 arrested for partying in ritzy Bangkok neighbourhood

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003338

Sickening. Hope they face the maximum punishment for such selfish stupidity, who the F holds a loud obnoxious party at 1 AM during such a time? Thai’s infamous “me first only me matter” mentality on full display.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

I've got the feeling that today is one of the last few days of 4-digit infection numbers. We're bound to crack the dreaded 10,000 and will probably stay well above for weeks to come. Brace for impact, ladies and gentlemen, stay safe.

I think you are right. I suspect they are prepping for some big numbers next week which they already know are coming. If they do a few things now then it looks like they are ahead of the game. Pure speculation.

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Two of the additional #COVID19 measures being considered by the govt for Metro Bangkok are permitting people to leave homes only on Mon, Weds & Fri and shutting down supermarkets plus restaurants on alternate day. Be prepared folks. #Thailand

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1415982720337911808

So on Tuesdays, Thursdays and the weekend no one is allowed to leave their home for any reason? 

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Two of the additional #COVID19 measures being considered by the govt for Metro Bangkok are permitting people to leave homes only on Mon, Weds & Fri and shutting down supermarkets plus restaurants on alternate day. Be prepared folks. #Thailand

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1415982720337911808

I wonder how reliable Khun Pravit's sources are?  He seems like a bit if a twitter attention-seeker!

• Like 1

Thai hospital tycoon sticks to guns on vaccine claims

BANGKOK: Thailand’s Thonburi Healthcare Group Pcl (THG) doubled down on its outspoken chairman's claim to be buying Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines on Friday, helping its share price rise despite denials by both drugmakers.

Dr. Boon Vanasin's claim that his group, a more than US$800 million private medicine empire, was close to signing a deal for 20 million Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccines to import to Thailand was swiftly denied on Thursday by both companies, one day after a government agency filed a defamation suit against Boon, 82.

On Friday, THG stuck to its guns.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/thai-hospital-tycoon-sticks-to-guns-on-vaccine-claims-15233174?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

“Boon even told an agreement would be signed by Friday afternoon. (…) there was still no evidence.” “It's still unclear whether he was insincere, the victim of a scam or - as he asserts - in the process of a brilliant fix to Thailand’s desperate #COVID19 vaccine needs.”

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1415987853348130817

Edited by anchadian

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

No, there is no decline.

What you're seeing here is likely due to limited testing capacity.

...or, dishonesty. If you look at the charts of daily cases prior to their reaching 9k, it was increasingly steep. Then, at a little over 9k, it just flatlined. Real data doesn't do that. If it were limited testing, it would flatline at the testing amount which seems to be more than 9k. 

• Like 1

Good news for Australians living in #Bangkok. The Australian Ambassador (@AusAmbBKK)

has just announced the embassy has secured some AstraZeneca vaccine for their citizens. This will be done at SCG HQ in Bang Sue on Sunday at 1pm. Register here: https://thailand.embassy.gov.au Good luck!

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1415994915297763332

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=198167655580703

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

the problem in the UK is this 

The vaccine rollout was needs specific and when those plans were executed there was no delta, the rollout would likely not have changed but the virus characteristics have 

Delta now shows not only is is extremely contageous and airbourn it is less age specific so the under 40's who have not been fully vaccinated or the under 25's not vaccinated at all are now being infected - throw into the mix those who have flat out refused to be vaccinated and we see what we see in the UK and in fact across the world of growing infections and spread in much younger people than the original virus 

It has now become urgent in the UK to vaccinate the under 40's were as before it wasn't such an issue  

i have members in my family in there early 30s that have had to shots if the AZ back in the UK as i write i believe the UK are now vaccinating those under 30 who want it . 

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I predict that within 2 wks Thailand will be in the top 50 on the covid charts. As for new infections Thailand is firmly in the top twenty. As for serious critical Thailand as of yesterday was sitting at number 8. Weekly trend number 14. Tests per million has Thailand at number 146. If Thailand was at 46 and not 146 for tests per million then I think it could be said Thailand would be in the top 20 for total cases. All this in 31/2 months. Yes I know this is simply data taken from worldometer and there are problems with that but it does afford an overall picture of how Thailand is going on the global scene. To sum that up in one word would be, bad.

It could easily be less than two weeks, Thailand at Number 56 and 4 or 5 countries higher are at a similar number as Thailand now, Less than one week or, as little as 4 days is my estimation. I do not wish it to be so but all the numbers for Thailand are worrisome, not to mention the LACK of numbers regarding vaccines and vaccinations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

i have members in my family in there early 30s that have had to shots if the AZ back in the UK as i write i believe the UK are now vaccinating those under 30 who want it . 

My son who is in the UK just had his second shot of Pfizer two days ago. He is 35. First shot was some weeks ago obviously.

Edited by wensiensheng

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Strange that no-one else is reporting it yet.

Did you watch the english briefing in the video posted earlier, they did touch on the possibility of restricting peoples movements and closure of more places if necessary. The English briefing is never as detailed as the Thai one

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, anchadian said:

This will be done at SCG HQ in Bang Sue on Sunday at 1pm. Register here:

First up thanks for your post.

Just to save others bit of time.

The short video by Au ambassador states that the booking page will be up on embassy website (not Facebook site) in an hour or so.

I'm sceptical about how many slots will be available. Time will tell.

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

First up thanks for this post.

Just to save others bit of time.

The short video by Au ambassador states that the booking page will be up on embassy website (not Facebook site) in an hour or so.

I'm sceptical about how many slots will be available. Time will tell.

Get in there Jack

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I wonder how reliable Khun Pravit's sources are?  He seems like a bit if a twitter attention-seeker!

This was a policy used by the CCP in various cities last year, including (for a while) Wuhan.  It works for suppressing the virus, but...

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you watch the english briefing in the video posted earlier, they did touch on the possibility of restricting peoples movements and closure of more places if necessary. The English briefing is never as detailed as the Thai one

Yeah, it was far less specific.  I'm not even sure the additional dark-red zones has been confirmed yet, has it?

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Out of 9,062 local cases (outside of prisons), most in

Bangkok - 2,195

Samut Sakhon - 653

Samut Prakan - 607

Chonburi - 530

Nonthaburi - 456

Chachoengsao - 374

Yala - 264

Pathum Thani - 243

Nakhon Pathom - 202

Pattani - 191

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1415925168875081731

Even though Thailand set a new record high for COVID cases on Friday, the news out of Bangkok was much better.

The 2,195 new cases reported for Bangkok province was 

--the third consecutive daily decline in cases

--the lowest daily case count in the past week.

--well off the BKK peak of 3,191 cases reported a week ago on July 10.

2021-07-16c.jpg.a7bed93de958d4e62f6abbdd7cf53fa9.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/366008228350841/?type=3

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

It could easily be less than two weeks, Thailand at Number 56 and 4 or 5 countries higher are at a similar number as Thailand now, Less than one week or, as little as 4 days is my estimation. I do not wish it to be so but all the numbers for Thailand are worrisome, not to mention the LACK of numbers regarding vaccines and vaccinations.

Maybe but keep in mind these countries probably also have DELTA. I think you'll find Thailand is 58. Anyway 4 days is less than 2 wks. LOL.

• Like 1

The news are from abroad saying it is a an epidemic in SE Asia :Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand. 

There are countries that have not rolled out their vaccination effectively : all in the 4% number in the vaccination progress.

Everyone in Thailand  know about the "Fake" news  that is being projected for "saving face" of some officials.

A lot of them are focusing on "space program", " tourism" . " how much to charge for the vaccines", and  " how to keep the price of the Baht high" instead on the safety and health of their own people.

The " happy days" are gone. this pandemic  have the tendency to bring changes in many government around the world.. just what happened to Trump.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

This is so sad for the Khn Thiu

Photos of Covid-19 patients lying in a hospital car park next to biohazard dumpsters underlined the critical shortage of beds in Bangkok on Friday

Covid patients overflow into hospital car park as cases surge in Bangkok

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003337

Are these the admissions that are squeezed in daily somehow?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neal182 said:

Don't forget all the people that died without getting a covid test. Saving face is very important in Thailand and lack of testing helps.

And don't forget all the people that didn't die who were COVID positive, but didn't get a covid test.  

• Like 1

Good news for Canadians living in #Bangkok. The Canadian Embassy (@CanadaThailand)

has just sent out a message saying that they have secured a number of vaccination appointments for their citizens on Sunday. Details on how to apply are in the message. Good luck! #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1416008805574352898