Video: Minivan driver attacks policeman in Bangkok - he was angry about being clamped

webfact

7pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV from Ploenchit Road in central Bangkok showed the moment a hot-headed minivan driver lost his temper with a traffic cop.

The cop - Sen Sgt-Maj Sarawut Ruapruamwong of the Lumpini police - was knocked off his bike then assaulted with kicks to the face and body before he managed to get up amid further blows.

He was helped in making an arrest by members of the public as 33 year old Thong-in, the driver, was cuffed and detained on the tarmac. 

Earlier the cop had found the van illegally parked outside the Krung Sri bank head office and issued a ticket under the wipers and clamped it. 

When he came back and passed the driver accosted him and started swearing. The sergeant said he'd have to go to the station and pay a fine and that's when the violence erupted. 

The driver was charge with assault, criminal damage and illegal parking. 

Daily News said the CCTV footage would be a help in providing solid evidence for the police. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-17

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Wow, all that over a parking ticket!  The guy must have been on something to react so violently.  Needs to have an appropriate sentence and possibly psychiatric assessment.

However, from thr video it is evident that the police officer's helmet was not strapped to his head properly as it fell off.  If this had been a member of the public he would have been fined! 

• Like 1

The cop should merely have asked him to move the van.  People are at the breaking point with the police and their corruption.  They choose to inforce laws as cash is needed.  I don't defend double parking vans but police should be aware of the trouble people are having not and give people warnings for such actions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

The idiot should be banned from driving for life. Parking the van just before a junction is dangerous and causes inconvenience for others. 

If you look at 5.56 on the vid It was the entrance to the banks car park.

Edited by brianthainess

3 hours ago, tlandtday said:

The cop should merely have asked him to move the van.  People are at the breaking point with the police and their corruption.  They choose to inforce laws as cash is needed.  I don't defend double parking vans but police should be aware of the trouble people are having not and give people warnings for such actions.

The owner was not in the van at the time it was clamped and ticketed, he’d ‘parked’ illegally. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grandpa said:

Wow, all that over a parking ticket!  The guy must have been on something to react so violently.  Needs to have an appropriate sentence and possibly psychiatric assessment.

However, from thr video it is evident that the police officer's helmet was not strapped to his head properly as it fell off.  If this had been a member of the public he would have been fined! 

His Buddha nature was in the back seat.

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

The thai guy with the padlock on his "fellow" can appreciate this post!  "tell me about being clamped"!

I couldn't read that article as I felt the pain from just reading the headline...

7 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

No kneeling on the neck, no kicks to the head of the perpetrator, even after the assault on a policeman.

In the USA he would likely already be dead. 

So, where would you prefer to be stopped by a cop??

• Thanks 1

Looks like commendable restraint by the BiBs. Lucky the other two fellows came to the cop's aid or he might have had to shoot the guy or had his gun taken by the villain.  I know these clamps are annoying but the van was parked on an obvious red and white line blocking traffic turning left at an intersection in the middle of town.  Compared to Western countries it is also fairly cheap and easy to get clamps removed. The local cop shop is always near by and they send a cop on a motor bike to unclamp you within minutes for only B500.  I had to pay 200 quid in London 20 years agon and wait four hours to get unclamped and I cconsidered myself lucky it wasn't towed away.  

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

... assaulted with kicks to the face and body before he managed to get up amid further blows.

Must've watched a different video, got to love the standard of "journalism" nowadays.

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

When he wakes up every morning in a 6x6 cell with 10 others he might have wished he didn't do that.

He will not have been out long and be heading back again soon, it's a revolving door for many taxi drivers, win drivers, and minibus drivers addicted to yabba, no answers here but obviously the incarceration alone doesnt break the cycle..

10 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I know these clamps are annoying but the van was parked on an obvious red and white line blocking traffic turning left at an intersection in the middle of town.  Compared to Western countries it is also fairly cheap and easy to get clamps removed. The local cop shop is always near by and they send a cop on a motor bike to unclamp you within minutes for only B500.  I had to pay 200 quid in London 20 years agon and wait four hours to get unclamped and I cconsidered myself lucky it wasn't towed away.  

Surely if you park your vehicle in a way that actually BLOCKS traffic then it should be towed away not clamped in the blocking position....??

Clamping is more appropriate for parking which does not already cause a mess.....

20 hours ago, grandpa said:

I'm pleased to see that there were will willing hands to assist the policeman. Not always the case in any country.

The policeman's helmet did not fall off when he fell off his bike, it came off during scuffle and was more likely pulled off. The assailant appears to try and get him in a headlock.

• Like 1